Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 10:31 PM

12,863 posts, read 9,080,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
How did your father do that? Just curious, because I like to be honest with people. If they did something that was really damaging they should truly understand the gravity of it, the consequences and that they should make amends to the damaged party. It is not to humiliate.

Do you feel that you are fully over the defensiveness or could the old habits return if someone doesn't approach you in the right way?
Interesting to say that. I've found in general that if I need to get someone to truly understand the gravity and seriousness of a situation, they aren't likely to acknowledge being wrong in the first place. Those who acknowledge they made a mistake generally understand the importance and there is no need for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 11:15 PM

492 posts, read 145,712 times
Quote:
Is this just pure ego? If someone did something wrong, even not intentionally but made a mistake, this is part of life and it's how we learn. But if we don't admit that we made this error and instead deny it or get defensive or blame others we don't learn and will probably keep repeating the behavior.

Sometimes people make mistakes together. One person will admit their part and the other takes this as the other person is totally responsible and they are off the hook, or even a victim. It is like an opportunity to not only fail to take responsibility but to push it on someone else who is doing the right thing by admitting their part.

I guess I wanted to try to understand this behavior, and if people who think this way can change.
It's arrogance. Pride.

Some folks have the wrong view of themselves. The lack humility.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:27 AM

7,598 posts, read 4,170,416 times
If a mistake occurs and the reaction is disrespectful, I don't apologize because the consequences were already given. My mistakes are no different from other people, yet I have seen cool heads when it happens.

Last edited by elyn02; 07-26-2023 at 05:40 AM..

Old 07-26-2023, 05:37 AM

526 posts, read 247,914 times
Quote:
How did your father do that? Just curious, because I like to be honest with people. If they did something that was really damaging they should truly understand the gravity of it, the consequences and that they should make amends to the damaged party. It is not to humiliate.

Do you feel that you are fully over the defensiveness or could the old habits return if someone doesn't approach you in the right way?
Without going into specifics, he would weaponize it. He would rub it in people’s faces, continue to tear them down after admitting wrong, and later refer back to the incident to attack a person’s credibility. Basically, the opposite of being magnanimous in victory.

Yes, at this state of my life I am over it. Life experience has taught me that his behavior was not normal or healthy. I am both okay with admitting wrong, and also make an effort to create a safe space for people to admit their wrongs, and my ego does not depend on being right.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:34 AM

9,197 posts, read 6,222,919 times
Many people have a singular trait that defines them to themselves. It's who they are.

For example, some people are considered beautiful, and their beauty gives them confidence.

Some people are considered smart and being knowledgeable gives them confidence.

When either of these traits are diminished or proven false, an internal struggle ensues.

If the beautiful woman is suddenly disfigured, she feels that she has lost "who she was" and has no other positive identity. She may refuse to socialize or even leave her home.

If a person who is considered smart is proven to be wrong, she may feel that she has lost "who she was" and will insist she is right so as to regain her internal identity and confidence. After all, she is smart, so how can she be wrong? This results in cognitive dissonance in which her internal beliefs conflict with external reality.

As Pete "Maverick" Mitchell says: "Naval Aviator Is Not What I Am. It's Who I Am."

What happens when he is no longer a naval aviator?

Old 07-26-2023, 08:14 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Interesting to say that. I've found in general that if I need to get someone to truly understand the gravity and seriousness of a situation, they aren't likely to acknowledge being wrong in the first place. Those who acknowledge they made a mistake generally understand the importance and there is no need for more.
Then it seems like you have to just give up on these people.

I would at least spell it all out first just for clarity. If they keep justifying denying and deflecting then at least I tried.

Some people are in a kind of stubborn denial. Narcissists do this but I'm not talking about dealing with narcissists, but people who actually think they are doing the right things but are really causing problems for others that everyone but them can see.

Isn't it at all possible someone can be made to understand this and change the behavior?

Old 07-26-2023, 10:08 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
I think some people can change particularly if they aren't character disordered. But because these kinds of things are imbedded in the subconscious it takes some kind of a shock, an interventional event, to call it to their attention.

It requires recognition of the fact, insight into how the behavior is hurting them and others and the ability to appreciate that. Then it takes instruction in how to alter the behavior in a way that protects or creates (rebuilds may be a better word) their sense of wholeness. Essentially the psychological healing process.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
Is it pure ego?
Not exactly, unless you know that ego is the birthplace of shame, jealously, pride, fear, and the like.
When someone can't say they are wrong ..2 things both based in fear....they will be punished or they will be rejected.
(Stemming from the core fear of abandonment as a baby.)
A chapter could be written on this.
Feel empathy for their trauma and scars, usually always from childhood...even in the crib...terrible.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:05 AM

492 posts, read 145,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Is it pure ego?
Not exactly, unless you know that ego is the birthplace of shame, jealously, pride, fear, and the like.
When someone can't say they are wrong ..2 things both based in fear....they will be punished or they will be rejected.
(Stemming from the core fear of abandonment as a baby.)
A chapter could be written on this.
Feel empathy for their trauma and scars, usually always from childhood...even in the crib...terrible.
I disagree with you, it is plain and simple, PRIDE.

Pride and Arrogance rule the roost. Folks can't admit to anything, their main problem is very simple.

They have the wrong view of themselves.

The baby thing is ridiculous.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:17 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I think some people can change particularly if they aren't character disordered. But because these kinds of things are imbedded in the subconscious it takes some kind of a shock, an interventional event, to call it to their attention.

It requires recognition of the fact, insight into how the behavior is hurting them and others and the ability to appreciate that. Then it takes instruction in how to alter the behavior in a way that protects or creates (rebuilds may be a better word) their sense of wholeness. Essentially the psychological healing process.
It sounds like a lot of work and difficult for people like that to process. I doubt many would have the strength or will to complete it.

I'm thinking of all the broken families. Even after a divorce where one party did something particularly destructive often they don't acknowledge their part and will blame the spouse. If divorce doesn't shock a person into doing some serious introspection, not sure what would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology