Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 08:14 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,192 times

Advertisements

Just once I would like to see a TV Weatherman admit they were wrong in yesterday's forecast. They should make a formal apology and maybe even show up tarred and feathered. I have seen so many times that they have promised rain or snow and nothing happened. But when they show up on the air and forecast the next days weather there will never be a comment about what happened and why they were wrong.

Does your local weatherman admit he was wrong and explain why he blew the forecast?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
I've seen a few get flustered lately because this weather is downright strange here.. Good thing is it's WAY cooler than normal and the only problem is it keeps raining.
The good thing is the weather guessers just have to say it'll rain and they'll be correct for something like 20 of the 26 days so far this month..
The problem is they try to generate some news and predict a return to normalcy and say the rain is going to break, but they're always wrong.. I think the longest we've made it without rain in the last 1.5 months is three days...

Old 07-27-2007, 10:26 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
Yep, our guys admit when they missed the forecast (Fox and CBS affiliates, anyway). Fortunately, they don't miss very often.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:45 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Maybe they have all taken courses at the George W Bush school of I'm Always Right.

regards...Franco

Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Maybe they have all taken courses at the George W Bush school of I'm Always Right.

regards...Franco

I hate when TV weather folks do that, and they do it quite a bit here. Especially during winter weather here...you constantly hear that it won't get that cold...or it won't ice/snow...and then you wake up the next morning and it's in the 20s with an inch of ice on the ground and snow falling on top of it!!
I almost think they're so scared to say that the weather could change and it could all turn to crap!! Instead, they don't want to go out on a limb and they only want to read the NOAA Forecast Discussion that anyone can read online.

I want to scream at the TV "use your degree and forecast the weather...stop just reading what you see online!!"

Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 PM

IMHO, the worst example of this occurred during the big snow in San Antonio in January of 1985. The weatherman of the local CBS affilate there was on record as saying that any chance of San Antonio receiving wintry precipitation was close to zilch!! In fact, most of the TV weathermen dismissed it saying that if anything fell, it would be very light. Needless to say, 13.5 inches of snow later, they all caught h*ll in the local newspaper because everyone was complaining about how wrong they all were and how no one was really prepared for that much snow in a city that sees measurable snow about once every ten years!!

It was funny watching them backtrack later and in fact, one weatherman in particular was singled out for that big mistake for a few years afterward.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:09 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,415 times
We have a weather team (CBS affiliate) that will admit they were wrong by explaining what had occurred and why it did not happen as they thought.

And we have some weather men that really botch it up verbally slipping and saying it will be nipply (should be nippy),,,,,,,, Then the whole show goes down the tubes because they are laughing too hard and we sit there waiting for the weather forecast and wonder if that's botched up also.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
And we have some weather men that really botch it up verbally slipping and saying it will be nipply (should be nippy),,,,,,,, Then the whole show goes down the tubes because they are laughing too hard and we sit there waiting for the weather forecast and wonder if that's botched up also.
What part of NC is this????? .

Old 07-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
We have a weather team (CBS affiliate) that will admit they were wrong by explaining what had occurred and why it did not happen as they thought.

Nipply..that's a good one..I've heard that slip before too..

I also like when the weather folks decide that though we might actually need the rain, they will oftentimes bemoan the fact that it's coming and that they want sunshine. Instead, they'll make statements and drop hints about what a pain in the butt it is that it's going to rain. Most need to keep their opinions to themselves..just report the weather!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:54 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
What part of NC is this????? .
It is the triangle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather