Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 02:48 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,232,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Do you believe it's possible to manifest something you otherwise have no control over?

I do believe a person can manifest things they DO have control over.
(Like changing their own habits to lose weight or doing better in job interviews)

But I'm asking about a specific example.

Let's say a person has a job where he or she gets a randomly-assigned caseload..... and they -- for example -- assess fines for certain violations and send out fine notifications. IF the person who is fined -- appeals -- that means more work for that caseworker. BUT if the person who is fined does not appeal -- and just pays the fine -- that's a lot less work for the caseworker.

So that caseworker would LOVE to have no one appeal.

Do you think the worker can manifest or think into being that they're only going to get non-appeal cases?
(Either by praying or sendiing out thoughts of attraction -- like "universe (God?) only send me non-appeal cases" -- or repeating a mantra: "I am only going to have non-appeal cases.")

However they try to do it...do you think it can be done? Because -- objectively one can make an argument that clearly the person has no control over how many of the people will appeal, and how many cases won't be appealed.
Manifesting presenting our showing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 04:25 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,120,673 times
No. This is only about perspective if you really consider the process of “manifestation.” One cannot manifest anything in reality. You can simply change how you respond/react to the things you cannot control. Maybe the tickets being contested seem less aggravating so the caseload seems less, for example.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:19 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
I don't think magical thinking is helpful. Are we able to influence the circumstances of our life and those around us to a greater degree than we think? Possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars;
^ I have no idea what you're talking about.
But that's OK. No clarification needed.
I think he said, that manifesting in the context you presented takes a certain amount of astuteness and communication skill. It's not about prayer.

Old 09-01-2023, 07:25 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No. This is only about perspective if you really consider the process of “manifestation.” One cannot manifest anything in reality. You can simply change how you respond/react to the things you cannot control. Maybe the tickets being contested seem less aggravating so the caseload seems less, for example.
Then how would you explain situations in which two people, separately, are trying to solve an issue that's arisen, or address a challenge. One is successful, the other isn't. It's not because either of them accepted that they couldn't influence the other person or people creating the issue, which is like giving up. It's because one had a better approach to the problem.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:08 AM

10,620 posts, read 12,155,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Then how would you explain situations in which two people, separately, are trying to solve an issue that's arisen, or address a challenge. One is successful, the other isn't. It's not because either of them accepted that they couldn't influence the other person or people creating the issue, which is like giving up. It's because one had a better approach to the problem.
So I have to ask you, what's your definition of manifesting?

What's one person being able to solve a problem, resolve and issue, address a challenge the other person could not have to do with manifesting. One person just had better idea, or a brighter minds or more intelligence to come up with the solution. That's all.

So I have to ask you, what's your definition of manifesting? ...
OR how to you see manifesting at play in the example you gave?

Old 09-01-2023, 10:23 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Interesting what people read into what's said -- and NOT said.

No where did I say the person is over worked, or in a he!! of a job. The job is actually pretty sweet. But does it have some pressures? This person thinks so. So while others have told the person slow down. You do have more time to get your cases out, the worker's personality type is to be nervous about deadlines. And s/he wants case numbers to be above what's expected.

Also this person could technically retire now. But since the job really isn't heavy lifting compared to previous jobs, the person is planning to work 2 years and 4 months more to reach certain financial goals.

So the person doesn't really want to work -- this is a sweet gig to ride out for 2 more years. The person is trading time for money. Period. No more volunteering. Not interesting in career growth. It's full countdown mode.

BUT -- of course -- it would be even sweeter if all the assigned cases - or more of them, like 75 percent or more -- were not appealed. Your lips to God's ears. People just paid the fine. Close the case.

So if this person can manifest that, why not?

Life is perfectly fine in all other aspects.

Obviously the person can influence/change his/her own mindset about working.

But the question is: can a person manifest something that would otherwise be out of their control.

Would this person's positive thoughts influence the outcome: "No appeals, no appeals, no appeal."...or specifically when a case goes out, "God/universe I pray this person does not appeal."
Well the person can try. And if they get no appeals, they can say it worked, and if they get appeals, then they will say it didn't.

I have lost most of my religious faith due to life events, but I do have enough magical thinking left in me that I try to manifest things now and again.

Old 09-01-2023, 01:17 PM

23,361 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Maybe this entire thread is just manifestation...

Old 09-01-2023, 02:16 PM

60 posts, read 27,520 times
I think it really depends on your midichlorian levels. If they are high enough yes, otherwise no.

Old 09-01-2023, 02:35 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,672,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenklown View Post
I think it really depends on your midichlorian levels. If they are high enough yes, otherwise no.
Chlorian? Do I need to go down to the pool?

Old 09-01-2023, 03:10 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,585,399 times
The only time I’ve tried to manifest something it either worked or I was really lucky and not sure which. Almost 3 years ago when I got a gray divorce I sold my home and had to find a condo to buy quickly. I made a list of what I wanted and asked the universe to provide.

I asked for a condo in a secure building in a certain neighborhood, 2 bedrooms, no carpet, updated kitchen, top floor with a long view of the courtyard away from the pool. Fairly quickly one came on the market providing all of my wishes except the bedrooms had carpet. Only a few people out of 150 condos had a long view of the courtyard away from the pool so that’s the most amazing.

In regard to the worker’s dilemma with the caseload there’s a way to handle not getting appeals. I licensed foster and daycare homes for 4 years and not one person appealed my denials. You can nicely phrase things so that people realize it’s probably not in their best interests to appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology