Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 03:39 PM

20,498 posts, read 14,861,571 times

Advertisements

I don't believe in it in the woo-woo "God heard your prayers and did a magic" kind of way, or any other paranormal or supernatural kind of way, no.

I DO believe, though, that there are a vast number of tiny things that happen without us really noticing them, that we had more of an effect over than we believed at the time. And then sometimes you just get lucky. Or not.

I embrace many little things that seem a bit silly and superstitious, for no better reason than "it makes me happy." I pick up tiny little things...sparky rocks, coins, bit of broken jewelry, whatever...that I come across in the world and treat them as though they are treasures, I have a container for them at home. Why? Because each time I take it as a "gift from the Universe"... Even though I do not literally believe that any cosmic entity placed a shiny in my path, the point is that it prompts me to take one second to feel gratitude. And a sense, vaguely, of gratitude...for a shiny, for being alive, for the things that are good when they're good...keeps my spirits high. It feels healthy for my mind.

When I am calm, in a reasonably good mood...or rather, when my neutral "resting state" mood is fairly good...I feel that I make better decisions. I notice things that I might miss if I'm stressed. I perform better. I spot opportunities and act on them. In big ways and small ways, I believe that this leads to more successful outcomes. And when I don't get what I want, I can easily take it in stride and immediately turn to pondering alternatives (some of which may be better!) without dwelling too hard on any setback.

Also, having this sort of attitude and demeanor, as well as being a friendly, open person with a decent sense of humor, makes social interactions flow smoothly and keeps other people around me calm and cooperative and happy with me. And keeping those good vibes going in one's connections with other human beings can really pave the way for future "luck" if it involves things other people around you might choose to do or not do.

So in all that kind of sense? Yeah, that sort of "manifestation" I can believe in. But it's a combination of the big...as in, your entire philosophy and behavior...and the small, as in, the little things that you may not consciously notice always.

So some time ago a friend got a sweet deal where he had a couple weeks in an amazing vacation lodge in the mountains, and he invited me and many others in our social group up to hang out for free as long as we wanted, just bring firewood and food. This was a $2,000/night place, that was usually booked for weddings and family reunions for rich people. I got to go enjoy that, at pretty much no cost. Now, I told my Mom about this...and she says, "You're so lucky!" OK, but am I? I chose to become part of this social group, I chose to be friendly and make friends, I cast my net wide for social contacts because you never know what good may come of it. She on the other hand "hates people in general" and hoards cats. She moans on and on about her bad "luck" but her choices crafted every part of it. She's got the life she manifested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 03:43 PM

423 posts, read 551,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Chlorian? Do I need to go down to the pool?
I think someone was making is a Star Wars joke that went right past you.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian

Old 09-01-2023, 04:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 3,681,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Do you believe it's possible to manifest something you otherwise have no control over?

I do believe a person can manifest things they DO have control over.
(Like changing their own habits to lose weight or doing better in job interviews)

But I'm asking about a specific example.

Let's say a person has a job where he or she gets a randomly-assigned caseload..... and they -- for example -- assess fines for certain violations and send out fine notifications. IF the person who is fined -- appeals -- that means more work for that caseworker. BUT if the person who is fined does not appeal -- and just pays the fine -- that's a lot less work for the caseworker.

So that caseworker would LOVE to have no one appeal.

Do you think the worker can manifest or think into being that they're only going to get non-appeal cases?
(Either by praying or sendiing out thoughts of attraction -- like "universe (God?) only send me non-appeal cases" -- or repeating a mantra: "I am only going to have non-appeal cases.")

However they try to do it...do you think it can be done? Because -- objectively one can make an argument that clearly the person has no control over how many of the people will appeal, and how many cases won't be appealed.
Manifesting vs. wishing and hoping

I've been doing both for a few years now. Not happening.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:10 PM

34,243 posts, read 83,465,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Manifesting vs. wishing and hoping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDKRKluMjSE

Old 09-01-2023, 06:48 PM

10,645 posts, read 12,241,806 times
As for the condo -- congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
In regard to the worker’s dilemma with the caseload there’s a way to handle not getting appeals. I licensed foster and daycare homes for 4 years and not one person appealed my denials. You can nicely phrase things so that people realize it’s probably not in their best interests to appeal.
The person can't steer.
The notice must have standard language that the recipient has a certain number of days to appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The only time I’ve tried to manifest something it either worked or I was really lucky and not sure which.
I hear ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well the person can try. And if they get no appeals, they can say it worked, and if they get appeals, then they will say it didn't.

I have lost most of my religious faith due to life events, but I do have enough magical thinking left in me that I try to manifest things now and again.
I hear you too.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM

102,409 posts, read 108,764,361 times
Quote:
So I have to ask you, what's your definition of manifesting?

What's one person being able to solve a problem, resolve and issue, address a challenge the other person could not have to do with manifesting. One person just had better idea, or a brighter minds or more intelligence to come up with the solution. That's all.

So I have to ask you, what's your definition of manifesting? ...
OR how to you see manifesting at play in the example you gave?
Well, that's what the conversation boils down to, isn't it? I wonder if manifesting isn't the result of being open to possibility. Simply being open and positive may sometimes lead one to make mental connections one wouldn't have made otherwise, and find solutions to situations. The power of positive thinking can make a difference. But maybe that's not what you have in mind for your topic. Maybe we're talkig apples and oranges, IDK.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:27 PM

12,199 posts, read 8,590,200 times
In my experience it's been a waste of time and energy. In fact when I think of it I'm reminded of religious hustlers who claim their brand of religion will make people rich.

When I was a practicing Christian I was taught there are a number of types of prayers. Most aren't about praying for ourselves. Praying for oneself can tread on ignorant ground, I think. Sometimes we don't know that what we are being compelled to do contains the exact life lesson we need to learn.

Since I came to the conclusion that the best lessons I've learned have been through hardship and not through easy times that continues to be my focus in most situations. I'm going to learn something.

Once the impossibilities of my wants gets my attention, I realize I need to be open to what the Universe is sending my way, seeking support and learning how to evaluate my options. I try to keep my focus there.

Despite doing this for many years it doesn't come naturally. It takes work.

My reasoning is that it's natural in the world for all the earth to be acted upon by conditions out of their control and our duty to grow, blossom, bear fruit, wither and die will be more pleasant if we do our best to use our powers to go with the flow with gratitude and kindness rather than to fight our way through. And that doesn't mean we have to take all the slings and arrows. Staying open to possibilities can be surprising.

And I'm also a stoic. All things suffer damage. Why should I be exempt? It means I'm alive and in the flow.

YMMV.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:38 PM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
In my experience it's been a waste of time and energy. In fact when I think of it I'm reminded of religious hustlers who claim their brand of religion will make people rich.

When I was a practicing Christian I was taught there are a number of types of prayers. Most aren't about praying for ourselves. Praying for oneself can tread on ignorant ground, I think. Sometimes we don't know that what we are being compelled to do contains the exact life lesson we need to learn.

Since I came to the conclusion that the best lessons I've learned have been through hardship and not through easy times that continues to be my focus in most situations. I'm going to learn something.

Once the impossibilities of my wants gets my attention, I realize I need to be open to what the Universe is sending my way, seeking support and learning how to evaluate my options. I try to keep my focus there.

Despite doing this for many years it doesn't come naturally. It takes work.

My reasoning is that it's natural in the world for all the earth to be acted upon by conditions out of their control and our duty to grow, blossom, bear fruit, wither and die will be more pleasant if we do our best to use our powers to go with the flow with gratitude and kindness rather than to fight our way through. And that doesn't mean we have to take all the slings and arrows. Staying open to possibilities can be surprising.

And I'm also a stoic. All things suffer damage. Why should I be exempt? It means I'm alive and in the flow.

YMMV.
Good post. Maybe "What will I learn from this?" is a sign of maturity.

Old 09-02-2023, 09:19 AM

12,199 posts, read 8,590,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, that's what the conversation boils down to, isn't it? I wonder if manifesting isn't the result of being open to possibility. Simply being open and positive may sometimes lead one to make mental connections one wouldn't have made otherwise, and find solutions to situations. The power of positive thinking can make a difference. But maybe that's not what you have in mind for your topic. Maybe we're talkig apples and oranges, IDK.

I think that's one of the challenges of burdens dropped on your doorstep. I have learned to think there is a lesson to be learned there but sometimes it's a long time coming. Not much immediate gratification in that. But having lived a long while I have the gift of hindsight and can see how it works out that way. IF I adjust my thinking to it.

That's where my responsibility to myself is - in approaching the problem with the anticipation of a lesson, or a gift. That doesn't necessarily mean solving the problem. Sometimes it means learning to leave that problem alone. Bundle it up and give it back.

That's the kind of openness I'm talking about. It doesn't always turn out like we are trying to force it to but it can be resolved. Sometimes we are getting the answer loud and clear and we choose to ignore it because it wasn't the one we were looking for. Then we hang in there trying to turn it into what we want. And we expect God/Universe/Fate to assist. What a let-down that is!

Clarity about what is mine is a gift. Getting that message is my triumph, not whether I solve the problem or not. It gives me a sense of direction for the next time.

Makes me think of the line from the Eagles, "Already Gone." “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key."

Old 09-02-2023, 01:46 PM

350 posts, read 204,295 times
Quote:
Do you believe it's possible to manifest something you otherwise have no control over?

I do believe a person can manifest things they DO have control over.
(Like changing their own habits to lose weight or doing better in job interviews)

But I'm asking about a specific example.

Let's say a person has a job where he or she gets a randomly-assigned caseload..... and they -- for example -- assess fines for certain violations and send out fine notifications. IF the person who is fined -- appeals -- that means more work for that caseworker. BUT if the person who is fined does not appeal -- and just pays the fine -- that's a lot less work for the caseworker.

So that caseworker would LOVE to have no one appeal.

Do you think the worker can manifest or think into being that they're only going to get non-appeal cases?
(Either by praying or sendiing out thoughts of attraction -- like "universe (God?) only send me non-appeal cases" -- or repeating a mantra: "I am only going to have non-appeal cases.")

However they try to do it...do you think it can be done? Because -- objectively one can make an argument that clearly the person has no control over how many of the people will appeal, and how many cases won't be appealed.
I think you better present your definition of MANIFEST.

Because altering habits to lose weight is definitely NOT that.

I doubt you can manifest all your clients not to appeal. OR manifest "only the good ones". And you thinking other co-workers have it "BETTER THAN YOU" MANIFESTS NEGATIVITY.

You can manifest a dog bite because dogs live on energy not "feelings" or words.

You can not, however manifest turning INTO a dog.

Clinical Kynanthropy: A Case Report of Psychological Manifestation of a Dog Bite

The second factor is contemplated to be an impairment in the belief evaluation system that precludes the delusional explanation to be rejected.6 Here, we present differential diagnosis and management of a case who started grinning, barking, and walking on four legs like a dog two years after a dog bite.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ful...37176211047132

As to your example, I'm more likely to believe in case assigners showing favoritism and believe that in general, there are no coincidences. Or...very few. But I'm a definite conspiracy theorist.

Then there's the belief that souls from the other side are sort of like guardian angels. I always say my mom makes stuff happen for me to make up for being a crappy parent when on Earth because in general, I DO get stuff "manifested" to an extent.

I also have some vague unuseful non-productive half-azzed ESP that has no explanation whatsoever.

Like after a week of new car shopping in Jacksonville (FL) and getting mad over dealers adding $4000 onto the sticker, AND I couldn't even find this little Chevy Spark I rented last month that was really fun....I googled "LOW FEE CAR DEALERSHIPS".

What comes up? A dealer in my OLD neighborhood 3 hours away with a picture of a 2022 Chevy Spark. Mullinex who has the motto about you only pay sticker, tags and tag no hassle etc.

So I drove down and bought it.

Thanks, Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology