Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:57 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
While I try not to, I can't seem to help myself from judging people by their grammar and pronunciation. Years ago I was casually seeing a woman for a few weeks when she said "I seen your friend Drew..." and I made an instant decision that I didn't want to see her anymore.

I guess it is no coincidence that my wife worked part time at a library during high school and college before getting degrees in business communication and English literature and then going to law school.
My old man taught college lit. I am pretty well educated. I listen more to content than grammar. I know many people with little formal education who are far wiser and more thoughtful than myself even if their means of expression sometimes falls outside accepted English.

Same token, I know plenty of people who have degrees under their belt, an excellent command of language, can quote poems and literature all day, but their conversations are inane and uninteresting.

I will always opt for interesting.

Big picture, not details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM

1,199 posts, read 731,225 times
When people are out of shape and chalk it up to "not having enough time to work out," I tend to believe they are lazy, self deluded (on many fronts) and lack discipline. I tend to be right. Now if they say they just don't have any interest in fitness and enjoy the pleasurable foods too much to be disciplined, I see them as honest.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My foolproof way is the waiter test. Watch how somebody treats the waiter, for in six months that's how that person will be treating you.
I've heard a lot of people say this. However, I've known people who treat their loved ones and families WORSE than the other people in their lives! Because their families should know them and give them slack or because they only care what OTHERS think, not their families - so yeah, that's pretty sick but something to consider. No single "rule" works all the time.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
In looking for a potential life long partner, I assess a woman on how she treats her father (if applicable). Typically, how a woman treats their father... is how they treat the men in their lives. And I would say same goes for men and their mother's.

Footwear? that's as silly as horoscopes, LOl

Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people, such as shoes or a car? Not necessarily the cost of these things, but the condition, style, etc.

Or maybe it's something physical like finger nails, teeth, hairstyle?
I assess people by their actions and words, their character. That's it. Romantically of course I have to be physically attracted to them, but outside of that I don't care about their shoes, car, clothes, fingernails, nose-hair, teeth (as long as they're not rotted out), what have you.

Perfect example is my husband. No one knows what I see in him--though I think he's incredibly attractive, but that's just my weird taste in what looks good. It's his character that I respect and am attracted to. I don't give two who-whos about the material things he got.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:16 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Shoes?? Seems quite superficial to me. Some of us don't even think about shoes, except for comfort and appropriateness. I'm just not interested in shoes.

A perfect white smile is nice to look at, sure. But there could be other factors at play. For example---for various reasons my enamel wore off. I spent a few thousand on various whitening treatments until an honest dentist told me no whitening treatment will work when you don't have enamel.

So I have to put up with some stains and cracks until I can spring for veneers. I always take note of people's teeth, but wouldn't judge them for it unless it's a hygiene issue.

Agree with others re correct use of the language, though. But I wouldn't form a complete opinion on just one factor like that.

Being able to have a decent give-and-take in conversation with some intelligence behind it, is probably the most decisive quality.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
It may appear that I am looking at his shoes, when actually it's the size of his feet.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:11 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people, such as shoes or a car? Not necessarily the cost of these things, but the condition, style, etc.

Or maybe it's something physical like finger nails, teeth, hairstyle?
How did I miss this gem from 2009 that someone dredged up??

I don't really know where to begin, so I probably just won't

Doesn't seem to be in the right forum as well.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:14 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I once mentioned the shoe thing to some coworkers when I was living in Hawaii. One of the locals said, "Well, the first thing would be 'Is he even wearing any?'"

That killed me, but it's true. And you can always tell who grew up on the mainland by how skinny their feet were. If you grow up in flip-flops and not "toe-pinch" shoes, your feet turn out much wider.

Me? I go by teeth. They don't have to be perfectly straight, nor do they have to be laser-blasted white, but they do have to be clean and well-maintained. Brown teeth with a thick layer of tartar and plaque along the gumline and obvious periodontal disease will send me in the other direction. Sounds trite, but your smile is your best accessory!
Agree! When I first moved to the islands, I purchased a new pair of closed-toed shoes to be properly dressed for an interview with a CEO. When I showed up, he greeted me barefoot. That's when I realized I had wasted a lot of money on a pair of so-called "proper" shoes. Those shoes have never seen the light of day since.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
So, how do you judge one who is barefoot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology