Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Actually real psychology that you learn in colleges is no different than pop psychology. Most is all a bunch of fuey and huey....
...Dewey...it was originally Hughie, Louie and Dewey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,938,326 times
I forgot the story. I'm pretty sure they were all related. You can look them up on wikipedia if you want. Then get back to me with that.

I was mainly saying that pop psychology and psychology they teach at college level is still the same thing.......has circular logic and buzz words to annoy the Buddha out of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's what I don't get. Why did Daisy have those brats? I mean were they really "nephews" or were they something else?
You have that data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
...Dewey...it was originally Hughie, Louie and Dewey.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:57 AM

598 posts, read 2,074,460 times
I'm voting "self-esteem" as well. Drives me nuts.

BTW - there are some new meds for alcoholism:

MedlinePlus Drug Information: Naltrexone

Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 AM

349 posts, read 887,628 times
Talking Wow you guys are all over the place

but funny...

I don't have a term, but it's more of a habit people have nowadays that every issue that comes up in your life, you stress out about it and they say, "Wow, you should see a therapist".

Problems can be solved on your own, people, sheesh! But, because they are convinced they are damaged and that their therapist "saved their life", now that's the solution to everything.

I dated a guy who has been to NA, AA, Sex Anonymous, tried Bach Flower Essences, then he had a life coach...on and on and on (I didn't date him when he did these things, only found out years later when I talked to him out of the blue).

He was convinced he had "big" issues to deal with. He didn't...just a bored trust fund baby who wanted to be "interesting"

Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Actually real psychology that you learn in colleges is no different than pop psychology. Most is all a bunch of fuey and huey....

Actually what is commonly called pop psychology is Freudian based Psychodynamic Psychology, where the emphasis is on the subconscious and hidden motivation. What I am studying is much broader than that and incorporates many different perspectives including behavioural, humanist, cognitive and evolutionary psychology. Most research is done in behavioural and cognitive perspectives and it is done with the same quantifiable methods that any other science utilises. I learn the structure of the brain and neural pathways and the nervous system.

I can laugh along at the stabs at pop psychology but don't equate it with all psychology because it is a much broader field than you imagine.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:07 AM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sure. But does that make it a disease? After all, in my family we have a natural tendency to weird humor. It may be sick, but it's not a disease.
Actually, I think they do refer to it as such.

It's called "mental illness". This affliction I also have, but am proud of.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
but funny...

I don't have a term, but it's more of a habit people have nowadays that every issue that comes up in your life, you stress out about it and they say, "Wow, you should see a therapist".

Problems can be solved on your own, people, sheesh! But, because they are convinced they are damaged and that their therapist "saved their life", now that's the solution to everything.

I dated a guy who has been to NA, AA, Sex Anonymous, tried Bach Flower Essences, then he had a life coach...on and on and on (I didn't date him when he did these things, only found out years later when I talked to him out of the blue).

He was convinced he had "big" issues to deal with. He didn't...just a bored trust fund baby who wanted to be "interesting"
  1. Most people don't say this.
  2. Who is anyone else to decide whether a person should or shouldn't need a therapist besides themselves? Some people have no direction, guidance or confidence. So guess what they need therapy less you leave them high and dry and they end up killing themselves. The thing I always ask of the anti-therapy crowd is how is some other person's attending therapy effects you?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:14 PM

782 posts, read 1,086,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Blaming irresponsible choices on being young and stupid.
I've used that one before. It works for me.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
"Triangulating" - the minute you bring a third person into something, it's BAD. Sometimes it's necessary.

"Focus on now" - what's now? 1 minute? 1 hour? 1 day? The reality is that life is about the past and the future. The past is likely to shape your future, whether you like it or not.

New word that I do like:

"Deflect" - when you tell someone something, and they respond with something unrelated, because they are into avoidance and are passive-aggressive.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
"Borderline"....that is a code word now in a file to describe a difficult patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology