Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times

Advertisements

Ive never cheated on my SO in any relationship, despite insane opportunities that still occasionaly haunt me today. Ive been cheated on several times however, and each time I ended the relationship right away, without hesitation. I had no idea women cheat so much more than men. Shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,358,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Ive never cheated on my SO in any relationship, despite insane opportunities that still occasionaly haunt me today. Ive been cheated on several times however, and each time I ended the relationship right away, without hesitation. I had no idea women cheat so much more than men. Shame.
http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/images/smilies/duh.gif (broken link)

Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Some people can and do change. It may be as hard to find as true love but it definitely happens--esp when someone meets that true love and it's mutual. I guess that goes without saying (the latter) as it can't be true love unless it's reciprocated.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiu007 View Post
Please cite statistics....where did you get this information that they cheat more? I'd like to read that and see the basis for their findings.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
I believe that past behavior can indicate an increased *probability* that the same behavior will be repeated again if similar conditions persist. I won't go so far as to make a blanket statement such as "once a cheater always a cheater".

I'd say the majority of relationship problems that are mentioned here seem to have at the root either a communication problem, one or more partners who are immature/inexperienced, or both. Once someone starts using too many blanket statement to describe all men or women -- it is a sign to me that there is an inexperienced person trying to grasp complex adult relationship issues.

How about a candid conversation? Ask the person if they want monogamy? If you don't trust the response for some reason than move on.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:13 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Every relationship is different, just because a person's needs were not met in one relationship, does not mean that a different relationship, with another person, will not meet that person's needs. Evaluate every thing on a case by case basis.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I don't know. I think people can change. I certainly don't excuse cheating, far from it, but I also think there are situations so awful that an ordinarily good person can stray. In situations that involve abusive spouses or loveless marriages, I think people can be driven into the arms of another out of sheer desperation. And when they have the courage to finally end matters, then they are happy with the outcome and don't cheat again.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:26 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I have, technically, cheated. "Technically" meaning I didn't resist the opportunity, but I did leave my relationship as soon as it happened. I know my reasons and I have no regrets, nor do I feel any shame. I consider myself to be an exceptionally good woman. You'll rarely find someone as honorable and devoted as I am. But I place value in what actually has value. If it has none, I have no loyalty to it.
I have technically cheated too — on a college boyfriend, when I was about 22 — and I left the relationship immediately. I don't regret leaving the relationship, but I DO regret the way I left it. Sleeping with someone else was a really sh*tty way to say, "Hey, I want to break up with you, sorry!"

The big difference between the woman I was then and the woman I am now is that I'm an emotional grown-up and now realize why this passive-aggressive way of "breaking up" is so very hurtful (and chicken-sh*t). Would I ever do it again? No! I'd use my words.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
I find this to be true. Anyone want to share stories of the truth of this idea (to predict future behavior , look to past behavior) or on the other hand, stories of the falseness of this, maybe someone changed thier behavior. What's on my mind is infidelity. thank-you for your responses.
It depends on the person.

I've heard Dr. Phil say this a lot and many instances he's probably right, but people DO and CAN change as they get older.

Most people change with each new decade and some, unfortunately, never get the memo.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:55 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It depends on the person.

I've heard Dr. Phil say this a lot and many instances he's probably right, but people DO and CAN change as they get older.

Dr Phil??? Really???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology