Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 05:51 PM

677 posts, read 1,623,772 times

Advertisements

(I wasn't sure where to put this, so if anyone has a better suggestion please let me know I chose relationships because this topic has to do with interactions and differences between people.)

I'm fascinated by the human mind and am looking for other people who are as well. My main points of interest are:

-How different people react to fear and methods of overcoming it.

-Why, with the enormous capacity that the mind has for storing information, certain people such as myself can't remember very much.

-The overall differences between the minds of different people. The idea that every one of us can look at the same problem and find a different way to solve it, or merely interpret situations in completely different ways. This forum is an excellent example of this and it can often times be eye opening when people share their reasoning behind making certain decisions or reacting in certain ways.

However, no matter how hard we try to understand another person, we will never be able to see life through their eyes. In some ways that saddens me, because I think that if that were possible, it would be much easier for everyone to live in harmony. However, I suppose that it is also part of what makes us human

So please share your interests regarding this broad topic. Feel free to elaborate on what I've written or ask questions...anything goes, really. I'm just looking for other interesting topics in this field and people who are up for discussing various aspects of it.

Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM

Ooh and another topic that interests me are emotions in general and how certain people (guilty as charged) can be led by emotions versus people who act in very rational and direct manners. It's interesting how this is all shaped by such a myriad of factors, influences from family and friends, how a person was raised, etc.

I wonder if there's a way to change this and if so, how difficult it is to attempt to change the person that you are.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,990,151 times
I think only close minded people only see their way or the highway.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,752,250 times
Studies I have found interesting were the Stanford prison experiment, Milgram and the obedience to authority study, and Solomon Asch's conformity study.

Regarding your memory thing. I find it odd how I can remember the full name, for example, of my elementary school principal (well, two different ones at the first elementary school), but not remember where I set my keys when I came home in the morning (unless I put them in one specific spot on a regular basis). I also cannot remember an orally given change in my work schedule (it's pretty regular, ordinarily) until the moment I walk into work, but I can remember what shows are on which days, as well as the time they are usually on.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:14 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,252,207 times
See my comments in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
(I wasn't sure where to put this, so if anyone has a better suggestion please let me know I chose relationships because this topic has to do with interactions and differences between people.)

I'm fascinated by the human mind and am looking for other people who are as well. My main points of interest are:

-How different people react to fear and methods of overcoming it. I recommend "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker

-Why, with the enormous capacity that the mind has for storing information, certain people such as myself can't remember very much. Selective rention is one. The other aspect is that society and even the psychological health field hasn't really caught up with the concept that the brain is an ORGAN no different than the heart and has it's problems no different than any other organ. A heart can keep an entire body alive, but have problems which create other problems in the body - the brain is no different.

-The overall differences between the minds of different people. The idea that every one of us can look at the same problem and find a different way to solve it, or merely interpret situations in completely different ways. This forum is an excellent example of this and it can often times be eye opening when people share their reasoning behind making certain decisions or reacting in certain ways. It's environmental. Goes to the age old question - explain to me the color green. You'll get word association and that which the person is most familiar with in their environment or how they were raised to see the world be it money, grass, a new crayon. You'll get dozens of different answers

However, no matter how hard we try to understand another person, we will never be able to see life through their eyes. In some ways that saddens me, because I think that if that were possible, it would be much easier for everyone to live in harmony. However, I suppose that it is also part of what makes us human See above, plus it would be awfully boring to all think the same thing.

So please share your interests regarding this broad topic. Feel free to elaborate on what I've written or ask questions...anything goes, really. I'm just looking for other interesting topics in this field and people who are up for discussing various aspects of it.

Have a great day!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Studies I have found interesting were the Stanford prison experiment, Milgram and the obedience to authority study, and Solomon Asch's conformity study.

Regarding your memory thing. I find it odd how I can remember the full name, for example, of my elementary school principal (well, two different ones at the first elementary school), but not remember where I set my keys when I came home in the morning (unless I put them in one specific spot on a regular basis). I also cannot remember an orally given change in my work schedule (it's pretty regular, ordinarily) until the moment I walk into work, but I can remember what shows are on which days, as well as the time they are usually on.
You have long time memory and priority memory. Things that are important or relate to you.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,252,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You have long time memory and priority memory. Things that are important or relate to you.
Just for the sake of factual terminology it is called 'long term memory, 'short term memory' and 'selective retention.'

Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,794,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post

-How different people react to fear and methods of overcoming it.

-Why, with the enormous capacity that the mind has for storing information, certain people such as myself can't remember very much.

-The overall differences between the minds of different people. The idea that every one of us can look at the same problem and find a different way to solve it, or merely interpret situations in completely different ways. This forum is an excellent example of this and it can often times be eye opening when people share their reasoning behind making certain decisions or reacting in certain ways.

However, no matter how hard we try to understand another person, we will never be able to see life through their eyes. In some ways that saddens me, because I think that if that were possible, it would be much easier for everyone to live in harmony. However, I suppose that it is also part of what makes us human

Have a great day!
I can meet you when Mrs Chamataka goes out of town

Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Just for the sake of factual terminology it is called 'long term memory, 'short term memory' and 'selective retention.'
Thank-you Dr. Freud. Yes I realized I typed time instead of term.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I think only close minded people only see their way or the highway.
I entirely agree with that. But I'm just saying that no matter how hard we try to see things from another persective, we'll never be able to really, truly feel the same way as another person. We can gain information from talking with people to see where they're coming from but when it comes down to it, we all have a unique way of responding to and analyzing the world around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Wow, the Stanford prison experiment is shocking. I'm surprised at how quickly the participants identified with their roles. I'm in the process of looking up the other studies that you mentioned, thank you for bringing them up

Hah, isn't that the strangest thing? I wonder why that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology