Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
HVAC Technician, mechanic, handyman and help a Police Department! I really don't know, it started when I was about 8 or so. It is one thing I have always been good at. I'm one of those guys that is one of the best at the stuff I am good at but not very good at other things.
Oh wow, it sounds like you have a super busy schedule That's awesome Lol, well it sounds like you lucked out and are good at some pretty great stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Oh wow, it sounds like you have a super busy schedule That's awesome Lol, well it sounds like you lucked out and are good at some pretty great stuff.
Some of the stuff I am the best at many women hate! I'm doomed!LOL........

Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU
Some of the stuff I am the best at many women hate! I'm doomed!LOL........
Lmao! Well I think it's fantastic that you know how to fix things around the house. And being involved with the police dept shows that you're an honest citizen involved in your community. A great memory means that you wouldn't forget anniversaries or birthdays. All in all, I'd say most women would be lucky to have someone like you

Old 04-10-2010, 11:59 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,252,780 times
Quote:
Lmao! Well I think it's fantastic that you know how to fix things around the house. And being involved with the police dept shows that you're an honest citizen involved in your community. A great memory means that you wouldn't forget anniversaries or birthdays. All in all, I'd say most women would be lucky to have someone like you
This is what I always tell them and they still freak!LOL..... Dad's their boss so how bad can I be?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:16 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

Another aspect is that modern Psychology has gotten into bad habit of labeling any type of behavior they see unfit as a "disorder" only to then have the remedy of medication that will somehow fix it. The number of Americans on mind altering drugs today is ALARMING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
^Schizophrenia is treatable, but not--unfortunately--curable. At least not at this point in time.
High blood pressure and many heart defects are treatable, but not curable. The point is going into the emergency room with heart and head issues - you can bet your butt a these two people will be treated extremely differently in terms of attitude.

I went to the hospital because of a bad reaction to a medication I was on and long story short - the nurse that was 'assisting' me is now fired for telling me to 'knock it OFF and I'll send you downtown to 'whatever suicide prevention place it was.' I was MORTIFIED - mostly because I couldn't speak or see or walk and she even told the girl taking notes to put in there I was being 'uncooperative.' Then continued to threaten me - "don't think I won't do it either because I can" I was and still aren't sure what she wanted and my mother was sitting there and she couldn't figure it out either.

My doctor later told me it was because the medication was used a lot on depressives (except that wasn't what I was using it for) and he said it was complete bias. So, even the medical community can't get it together how do you expect the general public to. Even if my reason for being there was due to depression and that was the medication prescribed there was no reason at all for that type of behavior.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
Quote:
Haha, I'll agree with you about Freud although I don't know much more about his views other than the whole penis thing. Carl Jung seems incredibly interesting, he covered so many topics..it would be interesting to learn more about him. What is your opinion on dreams? What do you think that they represent, if anything?

I think dreams offer people a unique perspective on themselves; unique in that they can observe their behaviors outside of the influence of their consciousness.

Dreams are intensely personal to each different person. My observation is that I tend to have the same types of dreams, over and over again, until I acknowledge what my subconscious is trying to tell me.

Carl Jung talks about the Shadow, a lot in dreams. I'm not sure I always believe that. Or maybe I don't believe that the Shadow is always bad. But I do agree with him that dreams give you a fresh look at yourself.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
-How different people react to fear and methods of overcoming it.
To me fear and anger are two sides of the same coin. I've never been afraid when I wasn't a little angry. I've never seen an angry man who wasn't at least a little afraid.

To me there is no overcoming either emotion. It is more a matter of control. To control fear, face the problem. Use your anger. Maybe you can't face all of it at once. That's OK. Break it down. Face it in smaller chunks.

To control anger is a little different. Many times I need to space myself from the problem for a little bit. A timeout if you prefer. Then, hopefully, I can look at the problem dispassionately and try to solve it instead of just reacting in rage.

Quote:
-Why, with the enormous capacity that the mind has for storing information, certain people such as myself can't remember very much.
That puzzles me too. One thing I have noticed. When I am really frazzled, working on several things at once, going full speed. Tha is when I am most likely to forget details. Doing things one at a time, thinking about each step, I remember the details better.

The only answer I have is to take notes. Yes, I lose the notes also. But if I write something down, there is a better chance I will remember it later. So I carry around a small notebook to jot down a todo list. My boss likes to tease me when I forget what I wrote though!

Quote:
Hmm. That is true. Upon some quick googling, I found some mind "workouts". Have you done any of these? Do you think that they're necessary/useful? Some people think that just by reading and doing crosswork puzzles, etc that it's possible to strengthen certain areas of your mind. Do you think that's the case or does that just keep our mind active versus actually making it stronger?
Maybe, maybe not. It does something. Sometimes at work, I'll get stuck on a problem, just cannot see the solution. So I'll take out a crossword or sudoku and work on it for a while. When going back to the original problem it is amazing how many times you can see it more clearly.

C.S. Forrester described how he created his stories. The story would start out as a blank board. He would take that board and toss it off a pier. Then he would forget about it for a while. When he pulled the board out again, it would be slightly discolored, and have a few barnacles on it. So he would toss it back in. He would do this several times. Eventually, he would pull the board out and it would be totally encrusted with barnacles. Now the story is done. That always stuck with me.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
High blood pressure and many heart defects are treatable, but not curable. The point is going into the emergency room with heart and head issues - you can bet your butt a these two people will be treated extremely differently in terms of attitude.

I went to the hospital because of a bad reaction to a medication I was on and long story short - the nurse that was 'assisting' me is now fired for telling me to 'knock it OFF and I'll send you downtown to 'whatever suicide prevention place it was.' I was MORTIFIED - mostly because I couldn't speak or see or walk and she even told the girl taking notes to put in there I was being 'uncooperative.' Then continued to threaten me - "don't think I won't do it either because I can" I was and still aren't sure what she wanted and my mother was sitting there and she couldn't figure it out either.

My doctor later told me it was because the medication was used a lot on depressives (except that wasn't what I was using it for) and he said it was complete bias. So, even the medical community can't get it together how do you expect the general public to. Even if my reason for being there was due to depression and that was the medication prescribed there was no reason at all for that type of behavior.
Wow, that is terrible I'm so sorry that you had to experience that situation. I can't even imagine being in that position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I think dreams offer people a unique perspective on themselves; unique in that they can observe their behaviors outside of the influence of their consciousness.

Dreams are intensely personal to each different person. My observation is that I tend to have the same types of dreams, over and over again, until I acknowledge what my subconscious is trying to tell me.

Carl Jung talks about the Shadow, a lot in dreams. I'm not sure I always believe that. Or maybe I don't believe that the Shadow is always bad. But I do agree with him that dreams give you a fresh look at yourself.
Hmm, those are interesting ideas. That's awesome that your subconscious keeps bugging you until you listen to it or understand it I'm really interested in dreams, but on my end I always end up having really abstract, random dreams in strange scenarios with people I don't know in some cases...I never know what to make of it.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,407,619 times
I always have really vivid, realistic dreams. They border on being so realistic, that at times I confuse my dreams with memories.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:13 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Hmm, those are interesting ideas. That's awesome that your subconscious keeps bugging you until you listen to it or understand it I'm really interested in dreams, but on my end I always end up having really abstract, random dreams in strange scenarios with people I don't know in some cases...I never know what to make of it.
Again, I go back to the book 'The Gift of Fear' for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I always have really vivid, realistic dreams. They border on being so realistic, that at times I confuse my dreams with memories.
I've only had a couple dreams like that and they are creepy. I say it's the subconscious fighting with your conscious telling you things you don't want to hear or are trying to ignore or that little voice that says 'something is off' and you are ignoring it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology