Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,046,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
I have heard that many people who go into Psychology are often misinformed about the field. What are some of the major misinterpretations or misunderstandings that people have regarding this field?
Yes it's true. People go to school for 4-8 years, and upon graduation, they think they know everything. In the ancient world you had to undertake studies for 40 years just to gain admittance to the higher levels of knowledge that also encompassed the study of the mind. Pythagoras and Aristotle are former students of this REAL knowledge that was developed in Africa (Egypt by the time the Ancient Greeks/Romans got there).

Another aspect is that modern Psychology has gotten into bad habit of labeling any type of behavior they see unfit as a "disorder" only to then have the remedy of medication that will somehow fix it. The number of Americans on mind altering drugs today is ALARMING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,700,862 times
^Schizophrenia is treatable, but not--unfortunately--curable. At least not at this point in time.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM

677 posts, read 1,622,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yea, I'm researching this myself because it bothers me that I have mental limitations despite that they say we only use just a small percentage of our brain. I guess they see that from a CT scan (after you drink a special solution), which by the way, I would never do myself because of the radiation exposure.

Anyhow, from what I was looking at, "somebody" altered our genes to limit our intelligence. Similar to how humans put governors on a car that prohibits you from revving the engine over a certain RPM (As above, so below). But as of right now, I know since the 80's various research companies (and the government) have been experimenting with microcurrents to influence the brain waves to improve cognitive capabilities.
That fascinates me as well. Just imagine what we would be capable of if we could do away with those restrictions. And it does raise some intriguing questions. Feel free to share what you find/have found in your research

Old 04-10-2010, 10:09 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,260,311 times
Quote:
(I wasn't sure where to put this, so if anyone has a better suggestion please let me know I chose relationships because this topic has to do with interactions and differences between people.)

I'm fascinated by the human mind and am looking for other people who are as well. My main points of interest are:

-How different people react to fear and methods of overcoming it.

-Why, with the enormous capacity that the mind has for storing information, certain people such as myself can't remember very much.

-The overall differences between the minds of different people. The idea that every one of us can look at the same problem and find a different way to solve it, or merely interpret situations in completely different ways. This forum is an excellent example of this and it can often times be eye opening when people share their reasoning behind making certain decisions or reacting in certain ways.

However, no matter how hard we try to understand another person, we will never be able to see life through their eyes. In some ways that saddens me, because I think that if that were possible, it would be much easier for everyone to live in harmony. However, I suppose that it is also part of what makes us human

So please share your interests regarding this broad topic. Feel free to elaborate on what I've written or ask questions...anything goes, really. I'm just looking for other interesting topics in this field and people who are up for discussing various aspects of it.

Have a great day!
Where do I start? I seem to have a memory that even amazes myself at times. All of my friends and family ask me details about something that happened years ago that they have nearly forgotten. I give it back just as it happened in full detail and they can't believe how I can do that. My memory has always served me well at doing my job and without it I would be in big trouble. If you take stuff apart you better remember how to put it back together. This can sometimes be a month/year or longer to remember exactly how it came apart. It isn't ever a problem for me but is some peoples worst nightmare. I think I traded some of my book smarts for this and you only have so much room to store this knowledge. As for fear I wish I had more and always seem to charge in and get the task done. Some of the stuff I do on the job is very dangerous and you could be killed if you lose your concentration. You just have to assume the risks and be careful. I wouldn't say I have more balls than brains, it's just I don't have a choice in the matter and failure is not an option. People ultimately depend on you to solve the problems and fix something that they can't themselves. There is nowhere to go and they need you to get it done and are perfectly willing to pay for you to do it. When you completely figure me out let me know because I don't even know for sure what makes me tick! Rugged

Last edited by 2RUGGED4YOU; 04-10-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,414,647 times
I love Carl Jung, and hate Sigmund Freud. Is that enough of sharing? I just don't think a rational human being relates everything to his phallus, anus or some other stupid part of his body.

On the other hand, Jung's dream analysis stuff is amazing. He is to Psychology what Einstein was to physics. It'll take years to understand the stuff he was talking about.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,820,887 times
On the memory thing: I have a very inconsiderate memory and it fails me at times. It seems like the story of my life that I am completely sure I know the time and the place of a meeting or something and I never fail to mess some part of it up. Yes, I could write it down, but half the time I lose whatever I wrote it down on or I just get really sure I know so don't look it up and then I'm wrong. I showed up for a plane flight 24 hours late once. Blah! I'd worry about alzheimers if it weren't for the fact that I've been like this all of my life. Also, just this year, I managed to study for and pass 2 major certification tests to teach English and special ed, so my memory works just fine with things like that.

My one trick, when I want to remember to do something, is to ask one of my kids to remind me to do it. Even if they forget to, the act of saying it aloud has some kind of power to help me remember to do it--I don't know why it works, but it does--maybe the intentionality of saying it.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes it's true. People go to school for 4-8 years, and upon graduation, they think they know everything. In the ancient world you had to undertake studies for 40 years just to gain admittance to the higher levels of knowledge that also encompassed the study of the mind. Pythagoras and Aristotle are former students of this REAL knowledge that was developed in Africa (Egypt by the time the Ancient Greeks/Romans got there).

Another aspect is that modern Psychology has gotten into bad habit of labeling any type of behavior they see unfit as a "disorder" only to then have the remedy of medication that will somehow fix it. The number of Americans on mind altering drugs today is ALARMING!
I've always wanted to read up on the studies of the people that you've mentioned, it sounds fascinating. Although I know that not everything from that time was recorded, which is a shame.

I agree that the 'disorder' thing is ridiculous. It seems like there has to be a perfect ideal of a person and if you don't fit into it, there's something wrong with you Anything that pharmaceutical companies can do to rake in more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
^Schizophrenia is treatable, but not--unfortunately--curable. At least not at this point in time.
Even the idea of schizophrenia seems to me like a way to label those who see life differently than others. Of course if a person wants help for it they should see someone, but the disorder itself goes far behind the stereotypical hearing voices. Who is any psychologist to say whether someone is looking at life the 'wrong' way? Idk, maybe I'm just being silly by thinking that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Where do I start? I seem to have a memory that even amazes myself at times. All of my friends and family ask me details about something that happened years ago that they have nearly forgotten. I give it back just as it happened in full detail and they can't believe how I can do that. My memory has always served me well at doing my job and without it I would be in big trouble. If you take stuff apart you better remember how to put it back together. This can sometimes be a month/year or longer to remember exactly how it came apart. It isn't ever a problem for me but is some peoples worst nightmare. I think I traded some of my book smarts for this and you only have so much room to store this knowledge. As for fear I wish I had more and always seem to charge in and get the task done. Some of the stuff I do on the job is very dangerous and you could be killed if you lose your concentration. You just have to assume the risks and be careful. I wouldn't say I have more balls than brains, it's just I don't have a choice in the matter and failure is not an option. People ultimately depend on you to solve the problems and fix something that they can't themselves. There is nowhere to go and they need you to get it done and are perfectly willing to pay for you to do it. When you completely figure me out let me know because I don't even know for sure what makes me tick! Rugged
Wow, Rugged, what's your secret? That's awesome that you have such a great memory! What kind of work do you do where you have to be in such danger all the time?

Old 04-10-2010, 11:21 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,260,311 times
Quote:
I've always wanted to read up on the studies of the people that you've mentioned, it sounds fascinating. Although I know that not everything from that time was recorded, which is a shame.

I agree that the 'disorder' thing is ridiculous. It seems like there has to be a perfect ideal of a person and if you don't fit into it, there's something wrong with you Anything that pharmaceutical companies can do to rake in more money.

Even the idea of schizophrenia seems to me like a way to label those who see life differently than others. Of course if a person wants help for it they should see someone, but the disorder itself goes far behind the stereotypical hearing voices. Who is any psychologist to say whether someone is looking at life the 'wrong' way? Idk, maybe I'm just being silly by thinking that.

Wow, Rugged, what's your secret? That's awesome that you have such a great memory! What kind of work do you do where you have to be in such danger all the time?
HVAC Technician, mechanic, handyman and help a Police Department! I really don't know, it started when I was about 8 or so. It is one thing I have always been good at. I'm one of those guys that is one of the best at the stuff I am good at but not very good at other things.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,012,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I have the notion everything in moderation is ok. Red wine can lower cholesterol. Abuse anything, there will be side affects.
Wanna lower your cholesterol - eat some oatmeal and go for a run.
As far as abusing, eat too many beans and there will be side affects.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I love Carl Jung, and hate Sigmund Freud. Is that enough of sharing? I just don't think a rational human being relates everything to his phallus, anus or some other stupid part of his body.

On the other hand, Jung's dream analysis stuff is amazing. He is to Psychology what Einstein was to physics. It'll take years to understand the stuff he was talking about.
Haha, I'll agree with you about Freud although I don't know much more about his views other than the whole penis thing. Carl Jung seems incredibly interesting, he covered so many topics..it would be interesting to learn more about him. What is your opinion on dreams? What do you think that they represent, if anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
On the memory thing: I have a very inconsiderate memory and it fails me at times. It seems like the story of my life that I am completely sure I know the time and the place of a meeting or something and I never fail to mess some part of it up. Yes, I could write it down, but half the time I lose whatever I wrote it down on or I just get really sure I know so don't look it up and then I'm wrong. I showed up for a plane flight 24 hours late once. Blah! I'd worry about alzheimers if it weren't for the fact that I've been like this all of my life. Also, just this year, I managed to study for and pass 2 major certification tests to teach English and special ed, so my memory works just fine with things like that.

My one trick, when I want to remember to do something, is to ask one of my kids to remind me to do it. Even if they forget to, the act of saying it aloud has some kind of power to help me remember to do it--I don't know why it works, but it does--maybe the intentionality of saying it.
Aw, well something that might help could be to get an online journal or something where you record what you did during the day. That sometimes helps me to remember certain events, and it's easier to keep track of than a paper journal or random slips of paper (I do this all the time and it NEVER works. I always forget about the paper or lose it )

Great idea with asking people to help The only downside is when they forget what you told them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology