Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:58 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,964,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Corks up the wine.
I have the notion everything in moderation is ok. Red wine can lower cholesterol. Abuse anything, there will be side affects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 PM

677 posts, read 1,623,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Look, S/A, I said for 'factual terminology' on purpose so you'd know I wasn't attacking you and I wasn't just referring to the word 'time,' but also 'priority.' Excuse the hell out of me for taking a subject seriously and using correct terminology for the OP's best interest. When it comes to this subject there is so much misinformation to begin with and it's already a mess.
I have heard that many people who go into Psychology are often misinformed about the field. What are some of the major misinterpretations or misunderstandings that people have regarding this field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
mchelle, I agree also. People that never gave birth, never will truly understand the pain, yet love. And people whom witnessed a love one dieing, can never truly understand the emotions with it until it happens to them. A lady at work is always asking me how I dealt with the death of my father. Her father has cancerous tumor and only has 3-6 months to live. I told her I can't totally help her since my father had a massive heart attack and died the same day.
I'm sorry for your loss The mere thought of one of my parents dying fills me with such grief, I can't imagine what it will be like when it actually happens. It's hard to decide if it would be more difficult losing a loved one suddenly or knowing ahead of time that it was going to happen. I suppose that knowing ahead of time would give a person more time to be with them, but at the same time, I wonder if it draws out the pain for a longer amount of time? Very sad.

Quote:
Thursday, I have a humorous personality and I was not attacking. I was joking around. And I agree with you ok. Yes the correct terminology at times escapes me. Been awhile since I had Psych in college.
Haha did you enjoy the Psychology classes that you took in college? I'm thinking of taking one next semester Random question: What did you major in?

Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I also heard that certain food help the brain. And something about the more you learn the more brain cells you create. The more you drink alcohol or do drugs, the more brain cells you kill.
Hmm, I bet the food thing is true. I looked around and it looks like the best foods for the mind are:

-Salmon
-Cacao beans - But they have to be minimally processed, so chocolate bars don't count. darn )
-Matcha - Very interesting, it's Japanese in origin and the leaves are consumed in hot water, so it's similar to a tea but not exactly the same.
-Acai berries and blueberries
-Coffee beans - Wow, this one surprised me. It's the same concept as the caco beans though. It's best consumed in pure expresso form.

But that's only from one website. What do you guys think about this list?

Quote:
Only the first couple minutes of this addresses the female long term memory - it's funny, because it's so true.

Ok come on. Not fair to single out females here Although we do seem to have a bad habit of not being able to let things go Speaking for myself here, though.

I think it might have to do with our urge to connect and relate certain things, so when someone does something wrong we immediately think of all of the other bad things that the person did to us in the past.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,732,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Wow, the Stanford prison experiment is shocking. I'm surprised at how quickly the participants identified with their roles. I'm in the process of looking up the other studies that you mentioned, thank you for bringing them up

Hah, isn't that the strangest thing? I wonder why that is.
It was shocking. I think they shut the project down within just a week or so. I think some reforms came about as a result of this experiment regarding psychological testing.

Abu Grahib brought memories of what I had read about this study back to me, after hearing what happened there, and how the participants felt that they had done no wrong in dehumanizing the prisoners.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:40 PM

And about the above, I don't think I gave very good contrasting examples about the second thing, because I couldn't think of a good contrast to it.

I have worked where I ordinarily come in at a specific time, but they'll switch it up occasionally. Half hour later, that's no problem, since I'm already in the building. Half hour earlier, I may or may not be there on time, since I try to come in well before my shift starts.

Sitting at home, I don't think about having to be in at any different time (unless I make myself a note), but as soon as I walk through the door, I recall that they changed it on me. I guess it would be akin to meeting someone in a store, and then not being able to remember their name until you see them again in the same store.

I also think it interesting how people do certain things almost on autopilot, like driving from home to work and vice versa. They do it so often that details of the trip don't really occur to them.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It was shocking. I think they shut the project down within just a week or so. I think some reforms came about as a result of this experiment regarding psychological testing.

Abu Grahib brought memories of what I had read about this study back to me, after hearing what happened there, and how the participants felt that they had done no wrong in dehumanizing the prisoners.

And about the above, I don't think I gave very good contrasting examples about the second thing, because I couldn't think of a good contrast to it.

I have worked where I ordinarily come in at a specific time, but they'll switch it up occasionally. Half hour later, that's no problem, since I'm already in the building. Half hour earlier, I may or may not be there on time, since I try to come in well before my shift starts.

Sitting at home, I don't think about having to be in at any different time (unless I make myself a note), but as soon as I walk through the door, I recall that they changed it on me. I guess it would be akin to meeting someone in a store, and then not being able to remember their name until you see them again in the same store.

I also think it interesting how people do certain things almost on autopilot, like driving from home to work and vice versa. They do it so often that details of the trip don't really occur to them.
Wow, I attempted to look into Abu Grahib but couldn't continue reading beyond the first few sentences. I understand that people do terrible things and they deserve to go to jail for those actions, but I don't think that anyone deserves to be tortured and abused to the extent that those people were.

That is quite interesting, the way that our mind makes connections to various sights, sounds and smells, and the way that these can bring up memories so quickly. I can definitely relate to the autopilot thing while driving. I scare myself sometimes because I'll get home and realize that I barely paid any attention the drive. But I've never been in an accident or anything, so I guess that's a good thing

Old 04-10-2010, 08:00 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,235,520 times
Quote:

Ok come on. Not fair to single out females here Although we do seem to have a bad habit of not being able to let things go Speaking for myself here, though.

I think it might have to do with our urge to connect and relate certain things, so when someone does something wrong we immediately think of all of the other bad things that the person did to us in the past.
I am female and thought it was funny about women having a memory that goes back 20 30 years, knows the time, date, what you wore and your hand position while you said it....I have to say I'm guilty as charged. Then about the guy lying so much since then he barely remembers what he did yesterday.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I am female and thought it was funny about women having a memory that goes back 20 30 years, knows the time, date, what you wore and your hand position while you said it....I have to say I'm guilty as charged.
Lol! I bet Mr. Thursday loves that I wish that I had such an acute memory, but it's hard for me to remember specific events. If someone does something bad, for example, I will know that it's been the fourth or fifth time that they did it, but I cannot for the life of me remember the dates/specific information about the event.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:09 PM

[quote=mchelle;13685862]Wow, I attempted to look into Abu Grahib but couldn't continue reading beyond the first few sentences. I understand that people do terrible things and they deserve to go to jail for those actions, but I don't think that anyone deserves to be tortured and abused to the extent that those people were.

/quote]

Same idea as the Stanford thing. People identifying with certain roles.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,050,774 times
Quote:
-Why, with the enormous capacity that the mind has for storing information, certain people such as myself can't remember very much.

So please share your interests regarding this broad topic. Feel free to elaborate on what I've written or ask questions...anything goes, really. I'm just looking for other interesting topics in this field and people who are up for discussing various aspects of it.

Yea, I'm researching this myself because it bothers me that I have mental limitations despite that they say we only use just a small percentage of our brain. I guess they see that from a CT scan (after you drink a special solution), which by the way, I would never do myself because of the radiation exposure.

Anyhow, from what I was looking at, "somebody" altered our genes to limit our intelligence. Similar to how humans put governors on a car that prohibits you from revving the engine over a certain RPM (As above, so below). But as of right now, I know since the 80's various research companies (and the government) have been experimenting with microcurrents to influence the brain waves to improve cognitive capabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology