Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,237,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Thank-you Dr. Freud. Yes I realized I typed time instead of term.
Look, S/A, I said for 'factual terminology' on purpose so you'd know I wasn't attacking you and I wasn't just referring to the word 'time,' but also 'priority.' Excuse the hell out of me for taking a subject seriously and using correct terminology for the OP's best interest. When it comes to this subject there is so much misinformation to begin with and it's already a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 06:42 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,968,095 times
mchelle, I agree also. People that never gave birth, never will truly understand the pain, yet love. And people whom witnessed a love one dieing, can never truly understand the emotions with it until it happens to them. A lady at work is always asking me how I dealt with the death of my father. Her father has cancerous tumor and only has 3-6 months to live. I told her I can't totally help her since my father had a massive heart attack and died the same day.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Look, S/A, I said for 'factual terminology' on purpose so you'd know I wasn't attacking you and I wasn't just referring to the word 'time,' but also 'priority.' Excuse the hell out of me for taking a subject seriously and using correct terminology for the OP's best interest. When it comes to this subject there is so much misinformation to begin with and it's already a mess.
Thursday, I have a humorous personality and I was not attacking. I was joking around. And I agree with you ok. Yes the correct terminology at times escapes me. Been awhile since I had Psych in college.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 PM

677 posts, read 1,623,165 times
Haha, I did the opposite of you

Quote:
I recommend "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker

Thank you, I will look into that

Selective rention is one. The other aspect is that society and even the psychological health field hasn't really caught up with the concept that the brain is an ORGAN no different than the heart and has it's problems no different than any other organ. A heart can keep an entire body alive, but have problems which create other problems in the body - the brain is no different.

Hmm. That is true. Upon some quick googling, I found some mind "workouts". Have you done any of these? Do you think that they're necessary/useful? Some people think that just by reading and doing crosswork puzzles, etc that it's possible to strengthen certain areas of your mind. Do you think that's the case or does that just keep our mind active versus actually making it stronger?

It's environmental. Goes to the age old question - explain to me the color green. You'll get word association and that which the person is most familiar with in their environment or how they were raised to see the world be it money, grass, a new crayon. You'll get dozens of different answers

Yes, I think that is fascinating. The tiniest event can play such an important part in determining how a person lives their life.
See above, plus it would be awfully boring to all think the same thing.

Yes...that is quite true

Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Thursday, I have a humorous personality and I was not attacking. I was joking around. And I agree with you ok. Yes the correct terminology at times escapes me. Been awhile since I had Psych in college.
There's a huge difference between being humerous and being a complete sarcastic smart-ass. I, and a lot of people, can tell the difference.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 PM

677 posts, read 1,623,165 times
Quote:
You have long time memory and priority memory. Things that are important or relate to you.
Quote:
Just for the sake of factual terminology it is called 'long term memory, 'short term memory' and 'selective retention.'
Quote:
Thank-you Dr. Freud. Yes I realized I typed time instead of term.
Thank you for the terminology. Do you guys think that it's possible to strengthen these different types of memory? I've read about various techniques that people can use and vitamin supplements that are supposed to help...I haven't tried any of that though. I wonder if any of that is as effective as it proclaims to be? Anyone have experience with this kind of stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I can meet you when Mrs Chamataka goes out of town

Say what now?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
There's a huge difference between being humerous and being a complete sarcastic smart-ass. I, and a lot of people, can tell the difference.
*sigh* Believe with what you want.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:52 PM

I also heard that certain food help the brain. And something about the more you learn the more brain cells you create. The more you drink alcohol or do drugs, the more brain cells you kill.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,888,780 times
Quote:
I also heard that certain food help the brain. And something about the more you learn the more brain cells you create. The more you drink alcohol or do drugs, the more brain cells you kill.

Corks up the wine.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Only the first couple minutes of this addresses the female long term memory - it's funny, because it's so true.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology