Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a place to get some fresh scallops here local.
I'm trying to not go to Publix and my winn dixie does not have them at this time due to limited space (as per their seafood guy)

Any help would be appreciated I have a houseguest from NY who's wife wont allow them to be cooked in the house..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:14 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a place to get some fresh scallops here local.
I'm trying to not go to Publix and my winn dixie does not have them at this time due to limited space (as per their seafood guy)

Any help would be appreciated I have a houseguest from NY who's wife wont allow them to be cooked in the house..

Thats funny - my barber just informed me that they have gone on a scallop snorkelling trip up just north of Tampa. They fill two five gallon buckets per boat when they go. Evidently during the summer they go once a month. I am going when I get get back in August. Evidently the locally (gulf) harvested scallops are very good.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:56 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
This place carries fresh scallops. Give them a call or stop by.

Harbor Seafood and Meats
3762 Tamiami Trail
Port Charlotte, FL
941-764-3474

Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Thanks a bunch, I should have posted here a week ago when we first thought of making them for him.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM

I had no idea "fresh" Scallops were 3 days old.. The man from the market said he recived them Saturday.. I called Monday.

So I called this morning and was Told the Season on Bay Scallops was short So they get them frozen..maybe even from china....

Weird but, The Florida Fish and Game site says.. And I quote..

"The harvest season for bay scallops begins July 1 and continues through Sept. 10. Open scalloping areas on Florida's Gulf Coast extend from the west bank of the Mexico Beach Canal in Bay County to the Pasco-Hernando county line near Aripeka."..

Source:

Florida Bay Scallop Season Opens July 1 (http://capmel.com/ScallopSeasonOpensJuly1.htm - broken link)

Everyone.and I do mean every single store or market I tried Gets their Bay scallops from China..

The sea scallops come from New England..

Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Well isn't that something. Why do they say they are fresh scallops then? I guess you have to catch your own. I don't even know where or how you would do that. Ask Fishin Franks - web site: Fishin' Frank's

Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
Well isn't that something. Why do they say they are fresh scallops then?
I've always thought of "fresh" as never being processed or frozen. It would be rare to find a seafood market that sold fish as it came off the boat. I mean, if you go to a good restaurant that serves "delicious farm fresh eggs" do you ask if the hen laid them that morning? If they're 2-3 days old, they're fresh from the farm.

More important when it comes to fish like tilapia and salmon, is that it isn't farm grown. They can be very fresh, but they're not natural or healthful.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Florida oranges are cheaper in the northeast than they are in Florida. It makes no sense. There is all of that agriculture in the middle of the state, plus the seafood, yet it seems like the majority is shipped away. I can get more Florida products now that I live in Tennessee.

Maybe they did you a favor. I don't know if I'd trust gulf scallops with all the corexit in the water. They say all the oil and chemicals dissipated. Yeah, sure it did.

I buy wild, not farmed, seafood from Alaska, New England or the Carolinas.

Grocery stores -- the big chains -- buy all their seafood from China or other parts of Asia or South America. It's scary stuff and I wouldn't eat it.

Good scallops -- dry-packed -- cost about $25 a pound.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Well Tam.. Your reply sounds kind of sarcastic..

No Biggie. I just wanted to say someything....

It smell like horse ****.. I wont recommed you to my friends....

Smell like horse ****..pretyy much...is Horse****..

You stink...
I take offense to this. I was only trying to help you. I am definitely not a sarcastic person in any way whatsoever. Ask anyone who knows me. I really meant that maybe you could catch your own. I don't eat scallops and have never caught them, but thought it might be something nice to do if you could do it. Fishin Franks is a good resource. And the place I gave that said they have fresh scallops, well my neighbor uses them. Boy, sorry for trying to help someone. I guess I don't know enough about the subject of scallops.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
Let me try and lighten up this thread....we live in Wisconsin. Our favorite local restaurant has Grouper on his menu nearly all the time. He told us that a woman asked him if the Grouper was fresh. He couldn't believe he had to explain to her there are no oceans anywhere near Wisconsin!!!

(Caligula...chill dude.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte