Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 07:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times

Advertisements

why swim indoors ??? its Florida !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 07:15 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
why swim indoors ??? its Florida !!!!
I've lived 30+ years in Miami and had enough sun on my skin; next week I have to have a spot on my nose removed that is a squamous carcinoma THAT's why I prefer to swim indoors

Old 12-22-2013, 09:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
THANK YOU for those links. Venice seems nice. The whole Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area seems nice ~~ it will be tough for me to choose one .......
(Englewood = a bit tacky.) Manasota Key beach, very nice. Hands down, on that coast I'd choose Venice all day long though; beautiful beach, lots of amenities, easy to get around and much better shopping. A little higher on home prices, but you get what you pay for, remember: location, location, location. (Bradenton? no way). Venice is a growth area, closer to Sarasota for even more amenities and nightlife. I sold my condo in PG, but having experienced travel and the weather in many parts of FL, if I were to purchase again, I'd go up near Ormond Beach area on the east coast. The swampy air on the gulf is wet, wetter and wettest.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Cool east coast vs. west coast of Florida ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
(Englewood = a bit tacky.) Manasota Key beach, very nice. Hands down, on that coast I'd choose Venice all day long though; beautiful beach, lots of amenities, easy to get around and much better shopping. A little higher on home prices, but you get what you pay for, remember: location, location, location. (Bradenton? no way). Venice is a growth area, closer to Sarasota for even more amenities and nightlife. I sold my condo in PG, but having experienced travel and the weather in many parts of FL, if I were to purchase again, I'd go up near Ormond Beach area on the east coast. The swampy air on the gulf is wet, wetter and wettest.
QuilterChick ~ thank you for that opinion ~ I tend to agree weatherwise, but aren't there more social options in the Sarasota/Venice area than the Ormond Beach area ? (Ormond Beach was one of my choices on the east coast).

Old 12-22-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
QuilterChick ~ thank you for that opinion ~ I tend to agree weatherwise, but aren't there more social options in the Sarasota/Venice area than the Ormond Beach area ? (Ormond Beach was one of my choices on the east coast).

Depends what kind of lifestyle you expect to enjoy; do you want the Atlantic nice ocean waves and daily breezes, or relatively flat water, little waves at the edge, and a different type of sand. (I know, you want to swim indoors. But that's what umbrellas and beach cabanas are for. Sarasota is crowded, and thick traffic 90% of the time. Attractive city, arts and culture, the Ringling museum etc. Once you've done all the touristy things, you settle in; take guests to Sr. Armand's Circle and dine out.

I like the location of Ormond (Palm Coast) because it's cooler up there and the town is so pristine, Atlantic breezes, closer to Jacksonville airport for direct flights; you've got Daytona a bit to the south of you, Cape Canaveral and the museums there. I dunno... it's just got a more relaxing atmosphere and the shopping is excellent. I have friends in Port Orange who were here in the mountains for about 5 years, they liked it here, but they went "home" and said they'd never leave again because they have many more outdoor activities and shopping where they are. I'd go there or Venice. It's a lot easier to drive north from the palm coast than it is from 75 on the west coast too. But social options per se develop as you get settled in.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Default Quilter Chick

THANK YOU for that description of Ormond Beach. Actually, a bunch of my fellow-retirees live there and on the Treasure Coast. You've given me some food for thought

Old 12-24-2013, 02:25 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
Punta Gorda has the nice historic dist. and down town area, small though limited shopping. Englewood is near beaches and has a lot more shopping but it also comes with a bit of a stigma according to many I talk with down here. I have talked with a lot of people who think its the poor cousin of Venice. I think its fine but there are those who insist its a hole. No its not Sarasota or FM beach but it has some very nice areas, Manasota key, Lemon bay, parks in the old down town. I like it. I also like Punta Gorda and the little bungalows.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 PM

8 posts, read 12,954 times
The gulf coast from Sarasota to Naples is absolutely gorgeous. Sarasota and Bradenton do have some higher crime areas that you should be aware of though. Venice, Englewood, Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda all have low crime rates.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:24 AM

The beach at Ponce de Leon "Park" in Punta Gorda (imo) is not a true beach, I wouldn't swim there, others have no issue with the brackish water. If I had known more about that beach, I would have bought in Venice at the time. Manasota Key has a nice beach, but it's a drive from Punta Gorda proper, and Venice Beach is a good 45 mins. or more.

Over the Peace River bridge coming out north of PG proper, you are still in Charlotte County, but it has a PG zip code over the bridge and a PG address -- the whole scene changes everywhere around the Tami Trail ... as soon as you exit the bridge ... huge traffic in winter, crazy drivers, and the tackiness begins.

Much nicer south of PG downtown, Burnt Store etc. but no beach there either.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:05 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Default If I had known more about that beach, I would have bought in Venice at the time.

Wow, you based a decision to buy a house in Punta Gorda on the Ponce De Leon beach at the park. Many people are aware that it's not the best swimming beach and just go there to take in the views and get their feet wet and sit out. I love Punta Gorda because of many things, canals, downtown historic district, parks along the harbor and quite a few other things. But we're well aware that if you want a true beach you must travel to the gulf and that will take at least 45 minutes by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte