Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM

378 posts, read 629,343 times

Advertisements

Thanks, HH. Sorry about the wrong link. I have been reading the country Utilities site for these proposed expansions of the sewer/water system and I guess I clicked the wrong one.
Upon further reading I believe the requirement for the five year permit applies to this area where you live and where they plan to put in the sewer Managed Septic Systems - Environmental Health but I could be wrong. I frequently am.
I hear what you are saying about people wanting to 'support' your efforts but when push comes to shove they are 'going to the movies' the night of the meeting. In fact you need all the people effected to show up and make noise. They will be screaming loudly enough when they get their first year of taxes but by then it is too late.
I am guessing that a two year extension on the project is the best you can hope for at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsky View Post
.... The cost per lot seems excessive and I see that people who own double lots have to pay double even if their house is in the middle of the two lots. ....
Is this correct? I can understand if a house is on one lot and there is a possibility of the other lot being developed in the future, but not if there is no chance of a dwelling being built on it. I guess it would make no difference if a non-dwelling structure, e.g. a garage, was on the second lot and homesteaded to the first lot?

I hear so many people griping about the county government here in regards to permits and now this. My question is; why aren't people friendly to the homeowners' causes elected into these positions? You would think people would run for office on the campaign promise of relief from the incesent permit fees and such.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
. My question is; why aren't people friendly to the homeowners' causes elected into these positions? You would think people would run for office on the campaign promise of relief from the incesent permit fees and such.
That's a great question ...I'm curious to know that.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Is this correct? I can understand if a house is on one lot and there is a possibility of the other lot being developed in the future, but not if there is no chance of a dwelling being built on it. I guess it would make no difference if a non-dwelling structure, e.g. a garage, was on the second lot and homesteaded to the first lot?

I hear so many people griping about the county government here in regards to permits and now this. My question is; why aren't people friendly to the homeowners' causes elected into these positions? You would think people would run for office on the campaign promise of relief from the incesent permit fees and such.
You read correctly. a double or oversized lot will be charged more for the sewer because they have more road frontage to run the sewer main. CCU also knows that MANY vacant lot owners will simply let their $5,000 lot go to the county (by not paying the taxes). That lot still has to have the sewer main ran in front of it, which means part of the overall construction cost will be used for those lots that the county will own (meaning we are not only paying for our OWN properties, but also subsidizing the lots that are given up)

This sewer expansion has been in the works for many years now (previously defeated SOLELY by our small group 2 times), so it should not come as a surprise to anyone. All affected parties have received information in the mail from CCU over the past 12 months. There have been MANY articles in the paper about it (for and against).

Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
That's a great question ...I'm curious to know that.
Because as soon as they're elected, they CHANGE their platforms! In the last election, we had two new commissioners elected that were BOTH AGAINST the sewer expansion during the campaign. Now, BOTH have began supporting this ridiculous waste of money!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
I bought here in july 2010 I received a letter stating that I had ti be inspected with a list if companies who were authorized to inspect. I did it passes the inspector sighned off and the letter was returned good for 5 years.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,945,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
You read correctly. a double or oversized lot will be charged more for the sewer because they have more road frontage to run the sewer main. ....
So, how would this effect a corner lot? An inside corner may have twice the road frontage, while an outside corner will have less than the standard frontage (I think)...

Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
So, how would this effect a corner lot? An inside corner may have twice the road frontage, while an outside corner will have less than the standard frontage (I think)...
Not sure how they are dealing with corner lots. I don't think they could legally charge you for both frontages since you only need one frontage to be serviced by the sewer main. That's something you will have to contact CCU directly about.

By the way, others that are on septic currently but maybe not in the "area 1" zone, YOUR time IS coming within the next 2-4 years, if this passes in the Spring Lake area! Don't think you're safe. You're NOT! The county's master plan includes ALL residential areas to be serviced by central utilities by 2020!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560 View Post
I bought here in july 2010 I received a letter stating that I had ti be inspected with a list if companies who were authorized to inspect. I did it passes the inspector sighned off and the letter was returned good for 5 years.
You should've also been getting letters from CCU regarding the sewer expansion, dating back to 2010. In those letters was communication about public informational meeting dates so people could ask questions and voice their opinion. If you have received nothing, then you really need to contact CCU and ask for Terri Couture (CCU director) 764-4300 and express your displeasure.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
Because as soon as they're elected, they CHANGE their platforms! In the last election, we had two new commissioners elected that were BOTH AGAINST the sewer expansion during the campaign. Now, BOTH have began supporting this ridiculous waste of money!

a politician not telling the truth ?? Never...surely...well ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte