Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times

Advertisements

Our county has always thought it was smarter than it's citizens. That they know how to invest in property. They spent MASS amounts of OUR money to make big land purchases (especially at the height of the market) for property that is now worth a fraction of what it they (WE) paid for it. No investigations. Nothing has ever come of any of it. They just keep spending. And WE keep voting for them. When one politician wins a seat on the BOCC based on "conservative spending", he is brainwashed within the first 6 months and begins voting right along with the other members.
Regarding the subject project, the 3 bridge replacements are required to widen Edgewater between Harbor & Midway. It is unlawful per the Army Corps of Engineers to reduce bridge height, so the plan is to raise the new ones 6-10" higher than current. During one of the numerous public info meetings in 2010, I asked why can't they raise them to 12-14' clearance like PGI. I was told that height would require much more land for approach (they no longer allow the sharp hills over the bridges like in PGI) and the county is not going to purchase properties near the bridges to accommodate the added approaches, so the 6-10" increase is all that they can do with the approach space they have.
That insignificant clearance increase won't add any value to homeowners, but I'm sure the property appraiser might see it differently once the project is completed!
Regarding completion, we lived on West Spring Lake for almost 5 yrs until recently selling and moving to Englewood. We have a young son and looked forward to the wide bike/walking path along the new roadway. We could actually ride bikes all the way to the beach complex! But this project has been delayed dozens of times. It was originally supposed to be completed by now!!! And so far not one shovel of dirt has been dug. No surprise for Charlotte County. I'd be shocked if it is actually started by 2020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:44 AM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
The bridge on the sunrise water way is now. 8' it was stated to be up to 10' Somthing. And sith the raised aproaches carlisle ave would not enter edgewater once completed

Old 10-16-2014, 02:46 PM

93 posts, read 126,009 times
I have spent most my life working in Commercial & Industrial Electrical Construction. Power Houses, Paper mills, Big..Office Buildings, back in the day Shopping Malls , toss in Fermi Labs and Argonne National Labs, Hanford Works just for good measure and no less than a few Web Hosting facilities and Cell Tower sites.
I ran work all over America and Once In Mexico . I was a Planning Board Commissioner for 6 years as well. ALL THAT is just to say, I have been around a bit.
IMHO....Widening the present bridges to four lanes would cost ALMOST nothing, compared to raising and widening them.. Disruption would as well be next to nothing by widening what we ALREADY have. Shooting from the hip? This is ANOTHER MURDOCK PUD Fiasco..
( IMHO ) Tax assessments would HAVE to go up ( at some time) on every home North of Edgewater because a goodly portion of the value your waterfront home/lot is determined by just how big a boat you can have and get to the harbor.. Needless to say, lots on sailboat canals cost a lot more than the same size lots , on the other side of 41 that claim access to the harbor.. So its not only size of the boat but the distance that is relative to value. Years ago when we first started looking down here right after we sold what I thought was our retirement home on Cozumel, I looked at homes and lots in South Gulf Cove OM-Goodness talk about what could be a long ride to the harbor.. Water depth is an issue as well around here, and our Realtor told us we wouldn't be happy in that subdivision up the Peace River on the left side, due to often shallow water and little to no maintenance of water depth.
So giving Edgewater the Appearance of "Toledo Blade", North of 41.... with all the plantings and walkways/ bike paths is excellent.. Doubleing the price of the entire project to lift the Bridges a couple feet? Well I guess we could, rename it Murdock Parkway : )

Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor View Post
( IMHO ) Tax assessments would HAVE to go up ( at some time) on every home North of Edgewater because a goodly portion of the value your waterfront home/lot is determined by just how big a boat you can have and get to the harbor.. Needless to say, lots on sailboat canals cost a lot more than the same size lots , on the other side of 41 that claim access to the harbor.. So its not only size of the boat but the distance that is relative to value. Years ago when we first started looking down here right after we sold what I thought was our retirement home on Cozumel, I looked at homes and lots in South Gulf Cove OM-Goodness talk about what could be a long ride to the harbor.
That's the thing, values shouldn't be affected by a few inches of height. Like I said, the 2-10ft bridges are only going up 6-10", which doesn't really put the neighborhood in a "bigger boat" class. a 32 footer with radar arch is still the largest thing you'll get under those bridges. But 99% of folks have smaller fishing boats so bridge height means very little.
Mike said the Sunrise may go from 8ft to 10ft. Never heard or saw that in the drawings, but maybe they added it.
Yeah SGC can be quite a distance to the river/harbor. However, many realtors blatantly LIE to their clients about the distance (see Beachfront Bargain Hunters on HGTV-Realtor Jim Benson lies on camera stating that Boca Grande Pass is a 15 minute boat ride from one of the houses!!! It's at least 45 minutes!! HUGE difference!)

Old 10-17-2014, 06:45 AM

Yes distance to the harbor it seems is often figured using a Air Plane hahahaha I have to admit it depends on which boat we use getting to the Harbor ( and neither are big boats ) as to how long it takes with little or no wake. The sailboat definitely goes faster with the least amount of wake, of the two... anywaysssss on with my questions ... Where might I find drawings available for public viewing of this project? JSYK I was reading too quickly yesterday and mistook your 6-10" for 6'10" sorry. So does anyone here know the reasoning for raising bridges less than a foot for a cost of a Millions Dollars unless all 3 have been certified unsafe? That CANNOT be the issue as None of them are offically tagged as such.. The more I read here the less sense this prooject makes to me..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor View Post
Where might I find drawings available for public viewing of this project? JSYK I was reading too quickly yesterday and mistook your 6-10" for 6'10" sorry. So does anyone here know the reasoning for raising bridges less than a foot for a cost of a Millions Dollars unless all 3 have been certified unsafe? That CANNOT be the issue as None of them are offically tagged as such.. The more I read here the less sense this prooject makes to me..
http://www.charlottecountyfl.gov/pro...aspx?project=8

This is yet another frivolous, unnecessary project paid for by the 1% sales tax increase that is up for renewal next month. $27,000,000 total for this project. I was greatly opposed to this project initially because there is not nearly enough traffic, even in winter, to justify 4 lanes. But our County leaders know best!! "Future population increases" necessitate it now, they say. You know, because our freaking county leaders are SO damn accurate with their crystal balls predicting the future (eh hmmm, murdock village)...
You'll find a lot of info in the link above. If you don't find what you're looking for, contact Chuck Koons and he'll tell you where you can view the details in person.
I explained the reason for the bridge minimal raising in my previous post. They can't legally reduce the height, and there's not enough approachment land available to go any higher than 6-10". They've never discussed (that I'm aware of) widening the bridges vs replacing them. They are getting older (built in the 60s I believe) so my guess is that replacing them now is cheaper than widening, and having to replace the original structures in 10 yrs.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Thank You Harbor Hopper : )

Old 10-17-2014, 03:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor Hopper View Post
However, many realtors blatantly LIE to their clients about the distance (see Beachfront Bargain Hunters on HGTV-Realtor Jim Benson lies on camera stating that Boca Grande Pass is a 15 minute boat ride from one of the houses!!! It's at least 45 minutes!! HUGE difference!)
So true. One of the realtors who specializes in waterfront properties for sailors in Pt. Charlotte, showed my friend on his first trip down here, a canal home that would only take about 15 minutes to open water. Not being from the area or able to tell easily from the maps, my friend rented a boat, and tried to test the distance, going at a realistic speed for his sailboat. After 30 min. he gave up as time was running out for the rental. He figured at least 45-50 minutes was realistic. It is sad as had ended up going with that house without testing this, he would have been in for a not so nice surprise down the road.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nypafl4u View Post
So true. One of the realtors who specializes in waterfront properties for sailors in Pt. Charlotte, showed my friend on his first trip down here, a canal home that would only take about 15 minutes to open water. Not being from the area or able to tell easily from the maps, my friend rented a boat, and tried to test the distance, going at a realistic speed for his sailboat. After 30 min. he gave up as time was running out for the rental. He figured at least 45-50 minutes was realistic. It is sad as had ended up going with that house without testing this, he would have been in for a not so nice surprise down the road.
The closer to the Harbor..... the Higher the price..and often the less house you get.. There are some really "nice homes" that end up being close to another hours travel time, beyond....... our house, they are much newer and nicer.... and were at the time about the same cost for us.... in the end.. But our remodel is now almost complete $$$$$ and we are an easy 45 minutes closer and.... you pay property taxes on the sales price.. hummmmm if you get my drift.. wink wink : )

Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
I do get it it really pays to research as much as possible. So many variables to take into consideration. I guess how much liquid cash you have also determines how much renovations you are able to do post sale. But I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte