Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times

Advertisements

I neeeeed a shed, my garage is overflowing with tools and boat stuff. Has anyone installed one recently? If you got a permit how difficult was it with inspections? I assume it matters what it's made of, and I haven't decided that yet. I'd like it to be wood, and possibly build it myself or buy a used one and have a pro move it. If permits are a pain I'll just get a smaller plastic one. Steel is a cheap option but I'm not a fan. I know it needs anchoring, but is a cement slab a requirement?

I'm looking to do this as cheap as possible as I'd like to buy the empty lot next door in the next 5 years and build a pole barn or similar on it. The shed will not be needed then, so I don't want to waste $1000's now or have an immovable slab. Thanks.

PS, if anyone has one for sale shoot me a PM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
We are in north port so it may be different for you but we didnt need a slab, we bought one from Robin on 41 and Toledo blade. They took care of the permit and trucked it in. I believe we had to have it 8 ft off the property line. It's anchored in to the ground very well. All done by Robin. When the inspector came he asked where we got it and said he was going to go get one from them he was that impressed. He signed off and we were done.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
A permit is required for any size shed, but up to a 10x10 will not be taxed. Up to you if you want to permit it. I bought a used one on CL 2yrs ago for $800 and had it moved on a weekend ($150 on a flatbed wrecker). A slab is not required. I put a 12x12 paver at each corner with gravel compacted underneath for a stable, level foundation. The anchors came with mine. Took about 15 min to get them all in.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:14 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
Remember CaptGeorge, who used to post here? He would be the one to talk with since he just went through placing a shed on his property. I know he had to get permits and I believe the shed has to be rated at the same hurricane rating as any other structure. It sounded like the whole permit process was a PITA to deal with.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,784,482 times
I bought a premade and there were designd wind code paper to be turned in with a permit application being on a very viable lot i didnrt want to not have one but the dealer said some customers don't 'get ..
mine is 12'x 20' largest i could get without it having to be bult to match my home with stucco and matching metal roof.
i inquired about doing myself and was told i needed a architect plans with wind specs ect Pffffffffff

Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Yes, you need a permit to install a shed. If you purchase it from a shed company, they will pull the permit and install it for you. It has to be tied down and meet hurricane codes. If you decide to build one yourself you have to turn in the architectural drawings with your permit to the county. You also have to have a copy of your survey to turn in with the permit showing where on the lot you are placing the shed. It has to be within the setbacks. We had a shed installed in our North Port house and then when we moved we had a shed installed at our Port Charlotte home.

Here is the Charlotte County Building Department link which has the requirements for a shed. Just scroll down until you find Shed. Building

Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,243 times
Thanks all! Cleared the ground where I want it today, now I have to start shopping for a shed. MikeM I'd love one that big, and I have the room...we'll see....

Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 AM

3,179 posts, read 5,998,184 times
Just remember what I said earlier about getting taxed if you permit a shed larger than 10x10. The "save our FL homes" tax cap will not pertain to you for this tax year if you mke a taxable improvement, and the county is desperate for extra revenue, wink wink. Think, Saturday work. I'm sure some will chastise me for even thinking about this, you know, because government knows what's best for us :-)

Old 08-18-2018, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 9,998 times
So my question is, is who do we need to vote the hell out and vote the hell in because this is complete bull****. I get it that they dont want a bunch of nasty buildings around and blowing all over the place, but for the love of God it MY property and I should be able to do what I want with it. I'm sick of this asking daddy government what i can and cant do.. then they make us pay for it on top of asking them for permission!!! They've got a real "land of the free" feeling going on in this town and county. What jokes..

Old 08-18-2018, 08:30 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Living in Deep Creek means I cannot have a shed, of course, but man o man I could sure use the storage space a nice shed would provide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte