Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,966,099 times

Advertisements

I don't think you'll find a newer/updated home in PGI for under 200K; the choices for non-canal homes are limited, as there aren't too many. I see quite a few fences from the canal side, so I'm sure they're allowed, but probably restricted to height, etc. You mentioned the "ocean". PGI is right on the harbor, but there is no real beach - if you like the beach, it's a 45 min drive. Maybe you should be looking in Englewood? Rotonda isn't on the water, but is a much closer drive if you want to go to the beach, and you might find something closer to your price range.

Our new next door neighbors have just done what you're contemplating. They come down for a week or two every 2 or 3 months, and are loving it. Now they're thinking about moving up the retirement date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:57 AM

12 posts, read 23,478 times
Thank you wpc691. Despite living in New England, I haven't been to a beach in 25 years for some reason! We have the lake at our house in Maine and enjoy that very much. I think I just like the vibe of an oceanfront community, more than sitting on the beach. Even though we are not purchasing for an investment, the old realtor in me cant help but consider "location, location, location". I am glad to hear your neighbors are feeling positive about their plan! I could move now, but DH retirement probably can't be accelerated prior to 4 years, but it seems time goes by so quickly that will be here before we know it. I suspect the dogs and I would get down and settled in a bit frequently more than my husband could, and help to get our place organized.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterdogs View Post
My husband and I live in New England and hate the winters ( how unique!) . He will retire from the police force in 4 years. We have no children, are financially solid with zero debt, and own a nice home. We have three dogs from the rescue we support and volunteer for ( all done volunteering is done via the phone, verifying adoption applications...). We are incredibly interested in Punta Gorda, and considering pre-buying our retirement home. We would spend just a couple of months ( I don't work outside the home) annually at the house until DH retires in 2017, setting it up, going down for the Christmas Holidays, spending a few weeks in the summer when DH takes a lot of time off decorating it and exploring. Our budget is 200k, we would put 100k down, and finance the balance. Despite trolling this board endlessly, I have many questions and have benefited from lot's of helpful information in reading others posts. What should we expect for insurance costs for home/hurricane/and flood? I make sure to check the US Gov Flood site to ensure any interesting property is not in the "high risk" zone. It seems a seasonal resident pays an absurd amount for flood insurance nonetheless. I can't pretend to be a year round resident as we are conservative ( and honest . With dogs, it seems we really can't be in a gated community as we very much want a tidy yard with a fence, although it doesnt have to be huge. I would LOVE for specific recommendations from folks, rather than " call an insurance agent", please tell me who you found helpful ( I emailed one and called another w poor results, and suspect they think they may be wasting their time as we havent actually purchased anything yet....) What about the annual costs for yard work, pest spraying, checking on the property? Rough estimates on all of the ancillary costs would be so appreciated! I read about Fema's considerable changes and further rate hikes in October of this year, and it makes us so nervous. The internet is fantastic, but it has been hard to get the "full picture". It seems there are some wonderful values, and then I see lot's of homes for sale built in 2006 and have read about "Chinese Drywall" that was used largely in 06....Sorry this post is so long, in a nutshell I am looking for a cyber friend who may have gone this route and is willing to share their experiences, or, folks who considered a pre-retirement buy and ruled it out. We don't really see ourselves as renters, we like to be in our own space, and the dogs add an element of complication to that anyhow. We want to be close to shops, restaurants and events, despite being in bed with a book most nights by 9, so are all ears if folks have suggestions for areas to consider ( provided we can have a fenced in yard) . Many thanks in advance!
Hi!! Welcome to the board. I retired a few years ago. You'll get lots of help here. I posted a long thread that was basically a journal of many questions, replies, reactions, and things about my thoughts and journey's here (Punta Gorda Isles). The thread is called "Punta Gorda Anyone". I tried to keep it light, and inject some humor along the way - you may find answers to tons of questions, and incite to other things. Certainly it will help you save time and money in your journey here. Look it up.

In the meantime, prices have risen, things have stabilized a lot, and with the cash buyers and solidly financed deals that the banks have insisted on the entire market is much much stronger than it was several years ago.

Inspectors here are quite adapt at determining houses that have CWD, so you'll have much less to worry about if you hire a qualified inspection firm, and if you have any questions there are good testing procedures to ease your worry as well.

Feel free to DM me with any questions. The good news is I work for "Yuengling" and accept payment via email. ;-)

I think your budget for the Isles is a little low, but there are very nice deals on the water around here that will work for you.

I have a low fence (4') in my rear yard. It is allowed - and in my case recommended because it keeps me from wandering into my neighbors yard. Who would ever want that!!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,154,792 times
well I knew Mr PGI aka Big House aka 'if there is beer, I'm there' would give you some info on PGI.

as for Rotonda I can tell you this. the main area ie the inner circle is more built up with homes in the south west quadrant being slightly older and they get newer as you work round to the south eastt.
just outside you have the sub divisions Rotonda Heights (NW) rotonda Lakes (NE) and Rot Sands (SE) all are quieter,smaller lots smaller homes, but very nice.

what size home are you thinking ?
Pool Y/N (clue the answer should be yes)
age ?

\Rotonda is 15 mins from Boca Grande beach, we walk our dogs there regularly. 15-20 mins from Englewood Beach.
20 mins from Port Charlotte/North Port -shops, restaurants, mall cinema etc

we love it because its close to things yet still quite remote. our sub division has 2500 lots and less than 100 homes which is why its great for us and the dogs

keep asking !!!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,094,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
well I knew Mr PGI aka Big House aka 'if there is beer, I'm there' would give you some info on PGI.

as for Rotonda I can tell you this. the main area ie the inner circle is more built up with homes in the south west quadrant being slightly older and they get newer as you work round to the south eastt.
just outside you have the sub divisions Rotonda Heights (NW) rotonda Lakes (NE) and Rot Sands (SE) all are quieter,smaller lots smaller homes, but very nice.

what size home are you thinking ?
Pool Y/N (clue the answer should be yes)
age ?

\Rotonda is 15 mins from Boca Grande beach, we walk our dogs there regularly. 15-20 mins from Englewood Beach.
20 mins from Port Charlotte/North Port -shops, restaurants, mall cinema etc

we love it because its close to things yet still quite remote. our sub division has 2500 lots and less than 100 homes which is why its great for us and the dogs

keep asking !!!
Mr Sunshine is a good friend of mine, and a lot of help to me.

When ever I need to drain a couple bottles. ;-)

Good guy!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 AM

Mr Big House is a good friend of mine and no help to me :-)

whenever I need my fridge emptied .................

but still a good guy :-)

Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 AM

Yes to pool Post 2002 construction~is that correct? I understand built to more specific hurricane standards and can be helpful re insurance..
As to size, something 1500 sq ft and up? It's just the dogs and the two of us, although I suspect our sib's will visit on occasion ( particularly in the New England winter) , so 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. We could go higher on purchase price but lean towards being conservative, like nice things but are not flashy/require the very best/newest or anything like that. We have gutted homes and done major renovations, and that is not what I am looking to spend all our time doing. I enjoy the minor charming up/painting rooms/decorating ...putting granite counters in type of thing, but don't want a "fixer upper" at all!! Cannot thank you all enough for the help and your time! We will be sure to have plenty of cold beer in our refrigerator once we are local and can thank you in person

Old 08-05-2013, 11:20 AM

well right now there are 25 post 2002 1650+sq ft pool homes in the rotunda/np/pc are but none in PGI I can see

mind you ours might be on the market soon...Mrs S has seen the plans I have had drawn up for what's going to be our first new build and now she wants to move !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big House, where's the beer ?????

Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM

have you considered looking at bank owned stuff...there is a home I am watching in South Gulf Cove 2168 sq ft 2007 and its at $119k !!! no pool and needs about 20k spent on it........now THATS a bargain

Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Mrandmrssunshine, HolY Cow, that doesn't seem to have come up on my Trulia searches?! I just got in but will spend some time trying to locate it to read more. That certainly does sound like a tremendous value! Is there a search engine you favor that might be better for me to use than Trulia? Again, I thank you for being so generous with your knowledge and time, Maryann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte