Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:06 PM

90 posts, read 130,474 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
New P.C. resident, Diane here....hahaha...(a whole 2 weeks this Thursday!)
Anyway, we had the bug guy come out today for the estimate, and inspection.
We got the basic bug inside/outside kind of thing, NO termite plan.

It cost us $400.00 for the year. They come out every 3 months, and more if you see a bug.
Truly Nolen is the name of the company...
suggested by our next door neighbors.

ANYWAY...let's talk termites.
This fella wanted 2010.00 for a 5 year plan.
Or there was 2 cheaper plans...still costly.

Do I need it now, or not, or do, or not...yikes.

Like I said, the initial cost of getting the house up and started is nickel and dimeing us to death.

They do have a poor house in P.C.....right?

Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM

70 posts, read 120,365 times
Unless you've been alerted to termite damage to the house (something that should have definitely come out in the original purchase disclosure from the realtor), or have noticed such damage yourself (wood dust along baseboards, inside cabinets, etc), I would hold off on the termite plan if it's not really in your budget. Pest control companies will try to upsell you every which way, and scaring you with the prospect of termites chewing your precious new home to sawdust is one of them.

Last edited by dragon0524; 08-22-2013 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Thank you.
I didn't want to rush into a termite contract if it was unneeded.
Told him I'd think about it.

I also want to speak with the neighbors
and see what coverage they have had for the last 20 years.

And yes, the salesman tried to "horror" us into a sell with ghastly termite photos. lol

Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
You want termite protection. Do not go without it. We had active termites on the exterior of our North Port home when we used the bait traps and we had termite damage to our current home in Port Charlotte. We had a different termite company then and have switched to Truly Nolen. We purchased the total termite protection plan rather than going with the termite bait traps. The bait traps are cheaper, but I didn't like that method. They are traps that attract the termites and the termites can go between the bait stations and go directly to your home. Do your research on termites in this area and you will see that it is a necessity. What method of termite control you choose to go with is up to you and prices will vary by type of plans.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Is your house block construction or wood frame? If frame, I would definitely get termite protection.

That being said, don't get in a false sense of security if you have a block house. Even block houses may have bump-outs that are constructed of wood. Plus, termites can build mud tunnels on the surface of blocks between the concrete and drywall or within the hollow cavity of the block itself and make their way to the wood trusses overhead.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 AM

We have block construction.
I just want to educate myself before I jump into a costly contract.

Thanks for all your input.

Us Ohio people know NOTHING about living in Florida. Well, THIS Ohio person, anyway.
(but...I'm learning.....)

Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
Call around for rates, that quote seems awful high. Our termite protection is a tad over $300 a year. We live in a wooded area and I'm not comfortable not having it.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,548,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
Call around for rates, that quote seems awful high. Our termite protection is a tad over $300 a year. We live in a wooded area and I'm not comfortable not having it.
The total termite protection plan is much different than the bait traps, so therefore, it is more expensive for the initial treatment. That is what we have because the bait traps did not work and we got termites and Hughes Exterminators would not cover it. So we switched to Truly Nolen and paid the extra money to have our entire house treated. After the initial treatment, they only come in your house once a year to check. See the method here and description below: Termite Control | Total Termite Protection | Truly Nolen

TOTAL TERMITE PROTECTION (TTP) is the most innovative and complete termite protection plan ever offered in the United States.

TTP is a layered approach that blankets your home. It safeguards your home from termites by focusing on both the soil and the structure. We diagnose your individual needs and provide a customized solution. TTP is effective against any one as well as all termites. That's why it's called Total Termite Protection.

Combining treatments above and below ground provides you with the most complete and thorough protection. Treatment areas include attics, eaves, walls, windows, doors, plumbing pipes, foundations and slabs.

Know what you're buying. Always ask "Show me where it says I'm covered for all termites." And lastly, we put our money where our mouse is. Qualified homes can take advantage of our $1 million guarantee.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:42 PM

67 posts, read 114,627 times
Default Company Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
NPHomeowner...who do you have for your termite protection? That seems like a decent price...I have been in our new home now for 3 months and I still have not looked for a termite company because they all say they need to come out and then give me a price........Yours seems to be a reasonable price....sot he company name is_________________????????

Old 08-24-2013, 03:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
We have Hughes but don't know if that was a good decision after Tamres experience. However, when we bought the house termites were found and Hughes is the one the contractor got to rid the place of them then we just stayed with them. I have no idea if the contractor paid that additional fee and that is why ours is more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte