Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,022 times

Advertisements

I would love to find a good source for some additions to our landscape here in Burnt Store Isles. I can't find any roses that have a good chance of surviving here (ie: grafted to Fortuniana rootstock) and I've been looking for an improved Meyer Lemon tree. Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart sometimes have them, but I would prefer to get them from a local grower - or at least a local business. Failing that, a mail order source in Florida would work, too. Anyone have a favorite place???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 12:25 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
I usually buy my plants and trees at Home Depot. They are guaranteed for a year if you keep your receipt. If something happens to them, they will take them back no questions asked. You can exchange for a new plant, but usually they just give you a Home Depot card with the dollar amount on it. We have had to return a few plants and trees that got hit with frost in previous years.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:38 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Have you ever heard of "Knockdown" roses? According to my wife who grows roses in your area they seem to hold up here. She says they are easily available in the area. She also mentioned they are not the most pretty variety of rose.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:15 AM

13 posts, read 25,643 times
Oak Farms Nursery in Englewood. My customers & I love their plants, palms, etc.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,000,719 times
There is Powell's on Pine Island (along with several others on the island) and in Punta Gorda.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Bees & Trees on Bermont Rd

Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 AM

166 posts, read 370,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefrnorthport View Post
Oak Farms Nursery in Englewood. My customers & I love their plants, palms, etc.
I bought some gorgeous Areca palms from them and they are doing fantastic, however everything else has either died or came with insects! My last purchase was 10 oleanders and while planting them we noticed some were covered in caterpillars. We treated them with something they sold us, yes that's right, they charged us to treat the plants we bought from them that came with bugs. Anyways it killed the bugs but killed the plants as well!
So I needed 2 more arecas and thought I'd go back since those had done so well, I called and asked how late they were open and told 4:30, had my husband leave work early to pick them up with his truck and arrive at 4:00 and they had the gate closed. It was windy that day so I thought the wind caught the gate, opened it and drove in only to be told off by the staff, they said they had the flu and were wanting to go home early!! I think it was the owner, the blond spiked hair lady, but she said very cocky, hollered if you know what you want go grab it quickly and I'll ring you up! I'm sorry but I'm not going to continue buying $80 per plant from her and get an attitude! They should have never told me they were open until 4:30 if they wanted to go home early! Shame, cause I like supporting local nurseries, for now back to Home Depot.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:03 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriC View Post
I bought some gorgeous Areca palms from them and they are doing fantastic, however everything else has either died or came with insects! My last purchase was 10 oleanders and while planting them we noticed some were covered in caterpillars. We treated them with something they sold us, yes that's right, they charged us to treat the plants we bought from them that came with bugs. Anyways it killed the bugs but killed the plants as well!
So I needed 2 more arecas and thought I'd go back since those had done so well, I called and asked how late they were open and told 4:30, had my husband leave work early to pick them up with his truck and arrive at 4:00 and they had the gate closed. It was windy that day so I thought the wind caught the gate, opened it and drove in only to be told off by the staff, they said they had the flu and were wanting to go home early!! I think it was the owner, the blond spiked hair lady, but she said very cocky, hollered if you know what you want go grab it quickly and I'll ring you up! I'm sorry but I'm not going to continue buying $80 per plant from her and get an attitude! They should have never told me they were open until 4:30 if they wanted to go home early! Shame, cause I like supporting local nurseries, for now back to Home Depot.
Oleander caterpillars are a common pest. Birds will not eat them because the caterpillars concentrate the toxins from the oleanders. The best way to control them I have found is to pick the caterpillars of by hand kill them by putting them in a bleach solution. We had tons of caterpillars this year at our house in North Port-but a few picking cycle brought them under control.

Wash your hands well, or wear gloves. Oleanders produce a very toxic compound.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 AM

165 posts, read 253,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
Oleander caterpillars are a common pest. Birds will not eat them because the caterpillars concentrate the toxins from the oleanders. The best way to control them I have found is to pick the caterpillars of by hand kill them by putting them in a bleach solution. We had tons of caterpillars this year at our house in North Port-but a few picking cycle brought them under control.

Wash your hands well, or wear gloves. Oleanders produce a very toxic compound.
Best way I have found to control them. Tear out the plant and throw it away. If not all you will do is maintenance on the oleander.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHI View Post
Best way I have found to control them. Tear out the plant and throw it away. If not all you will do is maintenance on the oleander.
X2. We had huge, old oleanders in SoCal. They were beautiful, but after screwing around with them for 3 years, I trimmed them back to 1 ft underground - all problems resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte