Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Veteran View Post
MARTYGRAS The 135k was when we were looking on the internet when prices were lower and we were waiting for our current house to sell. At that time 135 was the going Price for 1800-2200 sq ft. Our Budget is now 180k cash. We were in the área for 3 weeks. Not going to beat a dead horse, but we have decided to move on. I can´t waist any more time in the Punta Gorda area. I just wish people were HONEST. I REALLY think part of the problem is agents are trying so hard to sell you THEIR LISTING and don´t want you looking at other listing since they would then have to Split the commission with the other agent, so you drawn into this cycle of BUY MINE and that is when all the BS starts, like the pre 2004 Miami Dade thing. Her listing was a 1999 with a newer roof and she just would not accept I wanted a post 2004

BIGHOUSE, excuse me but we know EXACTLY what we want, a post 2004 build, 1800sq ft mínimum, 3/2, a flex room (Study) would be nice not not a deal breaker, an attached two car . We don´t care about being on wáter / a canal. A pool would be nice but not mandatory. We want a 1 yr warranty purchased by the seller OR an offset on Price and a guarantee there is no dry wall form China. NO septic and NO well wáter. REA´s are LICENSED and one should not have to feel like they are dealing with a used car salesman. I might not be a member of MENSA but I am Smart enough to know when someone is trying to string me a line of crap. Give me a LITTLE credit at least.

But no harm done. I didn+t start this thread to start an argument. It cost us three weeks and we are moving on to look at property in another state.

This experience did teach me one thing. In the future we will look for an agent who specializes in finding properties for BUYERS and does deal with listings on the sellers side. Heckm once we get settled, I might study for a license and do just that, work with nothing BUYERS

EVERYONE TAKE CARE ! I hope those looking have better luck. Maybe we just got snake bit, so to speak. THANKS !

Please excuse my trying, am on a netbook without my glasses. GOD BLESS !
K9,
You made a good point about there being bad realtors (but there are also good realtors). The original Punta Gorda Anyone thread I created, I wrote of my experience. The first big / brand Local Hot Shot Agent I had, was terrible, and I have had several friends use them, and gotten the same bad experience I AND You had. That said there are several good agents that post on this board all the time. I am friends with some of them, and recommend one in-particular, but them all the time.

You started out with a position of mistrust, and negativity toward the people you want to help you, and that is what you stated - Again, if you said you were going to be like that to me - CYA.

It is good to verify everything, it is not only your right, but your responsibility to do that, and it is a good idea.
It is also your right to choose where you want to live, and one of the great things about this country is that you can choose anywhere you want to live, and go there unencumbered.

On this site people, like me come here to offer assistance, advice, answer questions, and help people learn without paying the price of making the mistakes many of us already have. {think about the benefit of that}

You may have already found a house, and an area that has gained your focus and fancy. I truly wish you the best in reaching your goal. AND, I am sorry you had a bad experience finding the home you wanted here. That said, if you weren't looking to be on the water, the amounts you mentioned should not only be achievable, but readily available. I bought and sold homes here for a few years, and established a lot of great relationships, with very smart, hard working, committed, very knowledgeable, resourceful, agents who have long time relationships and contacts with other people and trades that support the real estate business. I dealt with, and quickly discarded agents that just came here to supplement their retirement after a career in other places but were not really committed, connected, knowledgeable, and serious. There are lots of the latter here, and you have to be choosey when you first begin. As I mentioned, I myself, and a number of friends that went with the local brand name, got the same crappy service you got, and I understand your frustration - I wrote about it in my first thread / journal of my experiences. On this board, I received tons of advice, and got lots of help. I have started a new "sticky" thread at the top of this forum of this area - and I will address the issue of finding a good agent when I post of there soon.

In the meantime, if you're still looking in this area, there are, as others said many many many great properties that will easily work in your price range, and keep you in the subtropical zone. Check here, outside the Isles, and in Port Charlotte, and in North Port, all great places in SWFL. And, in any case .... Good Luck!

Old 10-13-2014, 08:29 AM

747 posts, read 1,012,656 times
this thread is funny.

big swingin' know-it-all at 135k all-in for a nice sized post '04 home, possibly on water.

and writing off the entire state as a potential option because of a bad experience with a realtor in one town.

riiiiiight......

[edit: yes there are some slimy realtors, as there are slimy people in any profession. it's up to you to filter out the noise.]

Last edited by SJNE17; 10-13-2014 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
I had bad experiences with realtors wasting my time when I came down in 2008. So, I simply went on the MLS, put in my search criteria and it spit out a few hundred houses that matched. I narrowed that list to under a hundred before my next trip down from NJ and then drove by every one of them. Just from the outside (location, neighbors etc..) I quickly narrowed it down to 4 houses...without a realtor. Each house had a separate selling realtor, so I set up appointments with each (realtors, at the time at least, did not want to split commissions and only wanted to sell me their own listings). Anyway, we bought two of those houses at great deals. I don't need to pay someone to tell me what I want....I know what I want. If you have what I want I'll buy it, if not don't waste my time showing me your crap.

In this day and internet age I'll leave the realtors for selling my houses. No need for them when buying until you find the house you want...and then go with the listing agent, you'll get a better deal, faster.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,656 times
Harbor--we experienced that exactly. To a tee. At one house the listing agent was salivating at dual agency commission on a very nice place that had been sitting for awhile, to the point that he said he'd work with us to make it happen. If I was the seller listening in on that conversation I'd have fired him on the spot.

I deal with professional conflict waivers all the time and of course there is a time and place for it, but I'm talking about very sophisticated institutional transactions where each counterparty knowingly agrees beforehand to waiving potential conflict (particularly when it comes to being represented by same counsel).

A potential buyer being told by a listing agent wearing a little too much polyester blend, to sign a doc right then & there waiving buyer agent representation, and then going one step further indicating where the seller's sell-it-now price is, well....

(We walked from the deal, ultimately. And that agent's name is certainly on our radar.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post

In this day and internet age I'll leave the realtors for selling my houses. No need for them when buying until you find the house you want...and then go with the listing agent, you'll get a better deal, faster.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte