Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 08:48 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times

Advertisements

Its just a county tax..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
BH I am all for licensing for certain trades, but what was on the tile test, what size spacers to use? Lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 AM

Thats True.. its all just about the County License/Tax.. As for retirees working for damn near nothing? And then working for Cash.. Hummm I bet you they would have pitched and real xxxxx... LOT if some group had been under bidding their jobs when they worked to support their families.. But Some Just Dont Grasp That Concept.. I get asked regularly about electrical work.. My Stock Answer...... your 7 years too late..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
But a homeless person, who just had 6 beers before showing up to work can install tile under a licensed contractor because they have a tax license.

But a guy who has worked for one of the best tile contractors in the country, and won awards for project of the year, (and lived in all 50 states), and was a card carrying union member, who wants to work for $12.00/hr hour because he enjoys the work, just moved here, and is retired, cannot under any circumstances work for YOU!!

OK - I got it now. Sometimes I'm a tad slow.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Not just a county tax. You read the licensing for the state, it regulate everything. You see these storage building dealers, they build the sheds in Georgia, just across the border. Much cheaper to build there. Then the cities and counties use the licensing to protect certain favored contractors.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:53 AM

They can over come the freight cost? Wow.. its around 650 miles R/T just to Valdosta GA. I guess you could haul maybe 5 smaller sheds on a 40' Tractor Trailer.. guessing at $700 freight unless they use their own truck trailer and driver? I really need to make time and sit with someone at the county and see what I need to.... do... have .... buy or build?? I would like to build a wooden shed with proper 3 or even 4 stud corners etc etc and 4 screw in, tie downs? I would like to have it right behind the house 10' wide 8' deep Stucco Masonite siding , painted to match the house.
Now I have a question? Do those Professionally built storage sheds need a Fl. Structural Engineers Stamp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Not just a county tax. You read the licensing for the state, it regulate everything. You see these storage building dealers, they build the sheds in Georgia, just across the border. Much cheaper to build there. Then the cities and counties use the licensing to protect certain favored contractors.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:37 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Thats True.. its all just about the County License/Tax.. As for retirees working for damn near nothing? And then working for Cash.. Hummm I bet you they would have pitched and real xxxxx... LOT if some group had been under bidding their jobs when they worked to support their families.. But Some Just Dont Grasp That Concept.. I get asked regularly about electrical work.. My Stock Answer...... your 7 years too late..
LOL - I was just having fun with you.
Yeah the government wants to make sure the general public doesn't want to get ripped off - that is their function. And, yeah, they want to collect their tax money - err uh permit fees. Those two priorities seem to be the most important thing, and although each of those 2 principles are in and of itself important. The fact that handymen can do a good job at a good price, which also serves the public seems to be lost.

Now don't get me wrong. Care has to be provided in hiring anyone, labor, carpenter, subcontractor, and care needs to be given in ordering and providing materials. You cannot get a first class workmanship performance using 3rd rate cheap materials. That said, One does need to exercise care if they are going to hire handymen to do their work - I think we both agree. It is a risk if you hire an unlicensed subcontractor, or handyman, and even if you do, it is a risk if you don't follow up and get the permits required. Many times both of these are forsaken. It is likely to always continue.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:40 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
They can over come the freight cost? Wow.. its around 650 miles R/T just to Valdosta GA. I guess you could haul maybe 5 smaller sheds on a 40' Tractor Trailer.. guessing at $700 freight unless they use their own truck trailer and driver? I really need to make time and sit with someone at the county and see what I need to.... do... have .... buy or build?? I would like to build a wooden shed with proper 3 or even 4 stud corners etc etc and 4 screw in, tie downs? I would like to have it right behind the house 10' wide 8' deep Stucco Masonite siding , painted to match the house.
Now I have a question? Do those Professionally built storage sheds need a Fl. Structural Engineers Stamp?
You might want to consider buying a POD, a shipping container, or a portable storage trailer.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:21 PM

I should have smiled back..... it ( retirees working cheap for cash) is just a pet peeve of mine..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
LOL - I was just having fun with you.
Yeah the government wants to make sure the general public doesn't want to get ripped off - that is their function. And, yeah, they want to collect their tax money - err uh permit fees. Those two priorities seem to be the most important thing, and although each of those 2 principles are in and of itself important. The fact that handymen can do a good job at a good price, which also serves the public seems to be lost.

Now don't get me wrong. Care has to be provided in hiring anyone, labor, carpenter, subcontractor, and care needs to be given in ordering and providing materials. You cannot get a first class workmanship performance using 3rd rate cheap materials. That said, One does need to exercise care if they are going to hire handymen to do their work - I think we both agree. It is a risk if you hire an unlicensed subcontractor, or handyman, and even if you do, it is a risk if you don't follow up and get the permits required. Many times both of these are forsaken. It is likely to always continue.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:47 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Macgregorsailor52, if you build a 10x12 or smaller, construction permit not needed. Anything larger requires construction permit. That includes engineered plans. Yes, for a storage building, engineered plans. Severe overkill. Also the 'Engineers full employment act'. Even need those for entry porches, lanais and pool cages. As if these people don't know how to build them.

We bought ours from Sheds, Etc, down on Kings Highway about a mile east of 75. They build them in GA, ship them down on their own trucks. They have to be tied down with anchors, etc. and good luck getting someone to then come out and inspect. There are TWO separate inspections, one for setbacks (7.5 side, 10 rear for basic Port Charlotte) and one for construction. You have to take the plans down to the permit office, submit the plans and a plat of your site showing where it s going. Two sets. Then it will take up to 2 weeks to get the permit. Just pay the company to deal with this -additional fee usually. Took almost a month to get someone to come out and do the inspection from the county.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the info and heads up , Restrain. I will head down ther end of next week, with drawings and Plot of Survey in hand and see how I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Macgregorsailor52, if you build a 10x12 or smaller, construction permit not needed. Anything larger requires construction permit. That includes engineered plans. Yes, for a storage building, engineered plans. Severe overkill. Also the 'Engineers full employment act'. Even need those for entry porches, lanais and pool cages. As if these people don't know how to build them.

We bought ours from Sheds, Etc, down on Kings Highway about a mile east of 75. They build them in GA, ship them down on their own trucks. They have to be tied down with anchors, etc. and good luck getting someone to then come out and inspect. There are TWO separate inspections, one for setbacks (7.5 side, 10 rear for basic Port Charlotte) and one for construction. You have to take the plans down to the permit office, submit the plans and a plat of your site showing where it s going. Two sets. Then it will take up to 2 weeks to get the permit. Just pay the company to deal with this -additional fee usually. Took almost a month to get someone to come out and do the inspection from the county.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:49 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,631,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I think that should be the Building and Code enforcement office 941 743 1201 ?

Handymen can do so little its crazy the rules here...........

yea the rules are crazy....the reality is that to legally use any of the products that you can purchase in HomeDepot you need to be a licensed contractor.

I was really surprised to see that a handy man can't even do any painting or pile driving...LOL

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte