Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:46 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,821,202 times

Advertisements

Well I guess you better put Obama on the 1st in line for jail list because he is pushing employers to hire illegals or should I say recently entered aliens!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:10 PM

773 posts, read 785,909 times
Relax folks. Just because those of us who find union members of skilled trades the go-to guys doesn't mean you have to agree. So let's let this thread revert back to what the OP was asking and accept the fact that we can agree to disagree.

So, where do we find big muscles who can move big stuff? My son and his friends are 1000 miles away.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:17 PM

325 posts, read 507,260 times
Are there any union contractors in PC/PG? So this union/non union crap may be a waste of time.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
Are there any union contractors in PC/PG? So this union/non union crap may be a waste of time.
A waste of time? Quite the contrary. Imagine being able to actually know the people who come to your home to work on your electrical or plumbing or HVAC systems are highly trained. Maybe having that peace of mind will cause homeowners to demand that kind of expertise and that would attract trained professionals to the area. It's a win-win.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:57 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,961 times
Don't lest the facts get in the way of telling your story hahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Well I guess you better put Obama on the 1st in line for jail list because he is pushing employers to hire illegals or should I say recently entered aliens!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 PM

325 posts, read 507,260 times
leez1

I asked a question, you did not answer it. If you hire a contractor it is up to you to talk to the contractor about his employees. If you hire someone willy nilly without checking them out that is your fault.

And you think that trained professionals are not criminals? What about drug users with jobs that need a little extra? Please.

So I guess you are saying that unless you are a union guy you can't be trusted or not a professional? Or maybe you import union workers to work on your house?

Old 12-13-2015, 08:25 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
A waste of time? Quite the contrary. Imagine being able to actually know the people who come to your home to work on your electrical or plumbing or HVAC systems are highly trained. Maybe having that peace of mind will cause homeowners to demand that kind of expertise and that would attract trained professionals to the area. It's a win-win.
And that's the kind of thinking that made everything so much more expensive up north, with no guarantees to work quality. No thanks, I'd rather just do my homework and pay much less....or just do it myself so I know it's done right. A piece of paper means nothing to me, and I say that with lots of experience.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:13 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,271,961 times
Humm your license's or mine hahahaha : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
And that's the kind of thinking that made everything so much more expensive up north, with no guarantees to work quality. No thanks, I'd rather just do my homework and pay much less....or just do it myself so I know it's done right. A piece of paper means nothing to me, and I say that with lots of experience.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dobiedude View Post
leez1

I asked a question, you did not answer it. If you hire a contractor it is up to you to talk to the contractor about his employees. If you hire someone willy nilly without checking them out that is your fault.

And you think that trained professionals are not criminals? What about drug users with jobs that need a little extra? Please.

So I guess you are saying that unless you are a union guy you can't be trusted or not a professional? Or maybe you import union workers to work on your house?
dobiedude,

If I talk to a contractor or even the individual I am considering hiring to vet them, how do I know he or she is telling the truth? You are far better off asking people you know and trust for a referral than asking the person you are considering hiring.

I have no idea what relevance your second sentence has. There are criminals in every profession but they are not a majority.

No, I am not saying only a union member can be trusted. What I am saying is when a governing body creates stringent requirements in order to award certifications for a given profession, the customer benefits. Doctors, lawyers, accountants and countless other professions have governing bodies that award certifications that require education and proven expertise in order to earn them. Anyone can claim they are certified in a given profession. I prefer hiring those who can show me they had to earn it.

You get what you pay for.

The OP asked a very valid question. Without some organization present that certifies individuals, where do you turn to get competent help? Even hiring someone for bull work can cost you if the worker is incompetent. Where can you find an organization in this area that provides that kind of peace of mind for those who want to hire competent people? Does anything like that even exist here for building trade workers?

Old 12-14-2015, 05:08 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,419 times
I will hang myself out here.

been an employee and an employer in construction for 40 years.

I am very against unions. do they guarantee better quality ? No.
do they guarantee higher prices ? yes

restrictive practices, holding jobs/bosses to ransom etc etc basically its an excuse to make more money for doing less.

NOW having said that I am also anti Florida's at will/right to work laws. They give a decent worker little or no security and thus you get people less 'interested' in investing them selves in the company

Workers need to be treated with respect and valued to get the best from them

NOW (again) having said THAT....there are a lot of bad workers (if they actually want to work ) down here as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte