Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 02:20 PM

46 posts, read 78,444 times

Advertisements

We finally are here full time. So hubby and I are debating what size lift to put in. We want to get a deck boat, 20-22'. But I don't want to get an undersized lift that would need replaced if we decide on a heavier boat in the future. We will never own a monster boat, but we are looking at it as a home improvement with fringe benefits.
Calling around for estimates revealed more than one company will no longer install in Charlotte County... Not very reassuring! Any recommendations for a builder? We may replace our dock at the same time. Also, what size lift would be pretty versatile? I was thinking at least 15k? Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:02 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,584 times
Parr Marine Construction, Inc.
Phone: (941) 639-8677
PO Box 510236, Punta Gorda,

id say go bigger also if you can you may have a bigger boat and wish you had more capacity

Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
John @ FMW did mine and did my neighbors.
I have a 24' Seaswirler Striker Walk Around with a single 200 HP OB on the back, she weighs in at around (IIRC)3800lbs. with fuel. I have a 10,000 lift ( That means that lift could lift my Full Size V-8 4x4 Dodge Crew Cab Pick Up and that boat )
My Brothers 30' Shamrock Walk Around with Twin Yanmar 315 HP Diesels and 200 Gal of fuel weighs in at just about 15000 lbs. Our A Mutual Friend has a 36 ' Yellow Fin with Triple 300 HP OBs and again with about 200+ Gallons of fuel he says she weighs less than Dons Shamrock... The choice is yours..
Both Use 15000# Lifts .. The safety factor is figured in by the Manufacturer.. Its not as much reliant on the mechanicals as you might think and has a lot to do with the supports. Large Diameter post and deep solid base for the supports has a LOT to say about how much a system can support, its all Geometry.
Florida Marine Works
Phone 941255 0554
* Florida Marine Works offers diversified marine services in South West Florida

Old 11-06-2015, 04:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
I used Parr also. It took about 6 months from the start of the permit work to the finished product. We needed 5 permits and had to reapply and change one during the process. Price was good. We had a dock and lift put in. You have to be aware though he is very busy and delays are part of the process.

Last edited by JERSEY MAN; 11-06-2015 at 05:09 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times
if you have a tip lot can you put two different lifts & docks in place, one on each side?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:04 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times
Yep Parr did my brothers and he does excellent work but he was jammed.. John had to put me on a list as well , but had me done pretty quick ALL THINGS CONSIDERED!.... Army Corp took less time the CC hummmmm and CC argued with the Army Corp #'s.. Yea Go Figure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I used Parr also. It took about 6 months from the start of the permit work to the finished product. We needed 5 permits and had to reapply and change one during the process. Price was good. We had a dock and lift put. You have to be aware though he is very busy and delays are part of the process.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:09 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
if you have a tip lot can you put two different lifts & docks in place, one on each side?
Don't even need a tip lot as long as you have enough seawall to meet the 45 degree rqmt. Cruise around and you'll see all kinds of lifts on angle, etc to fit 2 in the space.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 PM

325 posts, read 507,599 times
Ron Parr put my 12k lift in and also added another 15 feet to my dock. All said his price for both was the best. His nephew Mike is doing the estimates now.
After the lift and new dock space I learned the area under the lift needed to be dredged. I live in PGI so I had to get Marine Contractors Group to excavate the area. The only machine that could reach under the lift was not going to be available for several months. As soon as it was available they came in and dredged over 30 cubic yards of material. I figured better to be safe than sorry. So make sure you have proper depth before having the lift installed.

If you are buying in PGI I don't think you need to get the Army C.O.E. involved, but I would ask Mike Parr, or whoever you use. All Ron told me was that he needed a permit from PG and he was good to go.

There are only a few electricians that work over the water so I would get more than 1 estimate for that. If you PM me I will give you some leads. But they are busy as well.

I would ask your new neighbors who they recommend for both.

A 12k lift is pretty heavy duty and is way more than what you need but if your waterway is pretty unrestricted, as far as being sailboat water or say you are restricted by bridge height that will help in your decision, you may want larger rather than smaller, again look what your neighbors have and ask them.

I will never have another boat over 18 ft. but I believe the larger lift will add to the resale when you get ready to sell.

Good luck whatever you all decide.

Clint

Old 11-06-2015, 07:35 PM

747 posts, read 1,012,097 times
thanks wpc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Don't even need a tip lot as long as you have enough seawall to meet the 45 degree rqmt. Cruise around and you'll see all kinds of lifts on angle, etc to fit 2 in the space.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
thanks wpc.
PGI 80' or less 1 lift anything over 2 lifts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte