Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:45 PM

14 posts, read 13,894 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is a list of people up for reelection?

I know the sheriff and tax assessor are asking for another shot.

After sitting through that Phaze II sewer meeting and seeing first hand how these stuffed shirts have become too comfortable in these elected positions, I think it's time, as Ross Perot said, it's time to clean the barn.
I'd like to see all incumbents replaced with new blood,

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 12:51 PM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,289 times
I believe the only replacement will be in District 5 Trisha Duffy.....because she is not running

The other two candidates that were running Truex and Doherty were re elected due to either no opposition or the other candidate dropping out

http://www.charlottevotes.com/Candid...ced-Candidates

Charlotte County Maps

Gary

Old 10-06-2016, 01:42 PM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCliving View Post
I'd like to see all incumbents replaced with new blood,...
You, me, and a whole lot of others as well. But yet somehow they just keep getting re-elected back in office. And from what I've been told by those who have been here a lot longer than me (about 4 years), even those "newbies" who run and win on a platform of less government and running a more resident-friendly government turn coats once in office.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:49 AM

727 posts, read 390,344 times
The mayor of PG is unopposed. Why? Maybe there's too many seniors who don't want the hassle but you'd think some young blood interested in getting a start in politics would step up.

Then you see two people battling it out for a spot on the city council. Still trying to figure this town out.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:40 PM

I don't think there is much to figure out

People seem to be generally happy with the way things are.

Gary

Old 10-07-2016, 07:13 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,822,304 times
Some young blood interested in getting a start? Really you think that is what this town needs?

Old 10-08-2016, 04:57 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Isn't P.G. incorporated and run separately from Charlotte County? I haven't heard too much grumbling about Punta Gorda, with the exception of the West Henry St. property. Charlotte County, on the other hand... There is the infamous Murdock Village boondoggle, the projected $18,000 per house sewers in Phase 2 (or is that Area 2?), the widening of Edgewater Drive at a comically slow pace, The overburdening and inefficient permitting process, to name a few.
I think the OP's intent was in regards to the Charlotte County officials (just guessing since their moniker is PCliving).

Old 10-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Yes PG is the only incorporated town and everything else is run by the county.

Gary

Old 10-08-2016, 01:33 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,694,732 times
Below is part of a weekly info letter sent out by PG City Hall.

Are You Registered To Vote? The last day to register for the upcoming election is Tuesday, Oct. 11. Visit Charlotte County Supervisor of Elections > Home for all things related to the Nov. 8 General Election including voter registration, voting by mail, early voting, polling locations and sample ballots. City of Punta Gorda residents will be asked to select a City Council Member to represent District 4 as well as consider nine proposed amendments to the City Charter. Five of the proposals are actual substantive changes and the other four are a culmination of clarifications, updates and adherence to new State laws.

Click here ( City of Punta Gorda, FL : Charter Review ) for further details and exact wording changes related to the City Charter on the City’s website.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:26 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Problem with Charlotte County elections for commissioners is that the elections are essentially 'at large'. There are districts, but that is a residency requirement. The elections are county-wide. The commission for charter revisions rejected a call to change to single member district elections because 'the commissioners like it the way it is'. Of course they do as it protects the system.

I wish someone would file a complaint with the US DOJ as a voting rights violation. This same system is being found unconstitutional in numerous jurisdictions, including Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte