Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 09:57 AM

38 posts, read 40,643 times

Advertisements

Hi All! We visited SGC last year and watched a couple of boats use the Lock to access the Gulf. At that time the boaters had a remote (which I think you can purchase?), I thought I read somewhere that you can no longer use the remotes - can anyone update me on this? Also, how is it using the Lock? It was really cool to watch but looked a little scary, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 10:54 AM

190 posts, read 259,287 times
The remote system is currently disabled and the county had advised that it would remain off-line BUT, there's at least one BCC member who appears interested in working toward a system upgrade and current scuttlebutt is that the system should/may be back online in December or so.

The lock is quite simple to use - You approach (from either inside or outside) and tie to the dock. From your boat you either use the pull chain or press and hold the green button on the box at the dock. Once the lock doors are fully open and the "traffic light" turns green you enter the lock and pull along the West side of the lock where there is another pull chain. Hold onto the lines there (do not tie off) and pull (and hold) the chain. The doors behind you will close and then the doors in front of you will crack to allow water levels to equalize. Release and re-pull the chain until the doors open completely and a voice prompt is heard. Move out of the lock and tie off to the dock. From there either press and hold the green button or use the pull chain to close the doors behind you. Simple and pretty quick.

When in operation, the remotes work in a similar manner to garage door openers except there are three buttons, one for the canal-side gates, one for when you're in the lock itself, and one for the bay-side gates. Operation using the remote is similar to manual operation except that you don't have to tie up to the docks for initial opening and final closing, but I have found that manual (chain) operation is actually a few seconds faster.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:22 AM

38 posts, read 40,643 times
As always, a very concise and timely answer, thank you sir!

Old 09-08-2018, 12:57 PM

102 posts, read 104,596 times
Any word on if they've gotten anywhere on a second lock?

Old 09-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb078 View Post
Any word on if they've gotten anywhere on a second lock?
A RFP went out back in April for design proposals for a parallel lock. It was approved at the June 12 BCC meeting and a recommendation has been posted by county staff but the design project has not yet been awarded (all per BCC website and staff).

Once it goes out for design and engineering then there should be another RFP for construction. I would guess were looking at a couple of years at least.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 PM

102 posts, read 104,596 times
Just had another question pop in my head with Hurricane Florence heading to the east coast. Does the lock in SGC stay closed during a hurricane also? If it does, does that make the storm surges that come with major storms less likely to impact SGC?

Old 09-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blb078 View Post
Just had another question pop in my head with Hurricane Florence heading to the east coast. Does the lock in SGC stay closed during a hurricane also? If it does, does that make the storm surges that come with major storms less likely to impact SGC?
Yes it stays closed, and yes, in some ways it makes storm surge less likely to have major impacts.

Last year just prior to Irma's arrival Charlotte Harbor pretty much drained (several feet anyway). Water levels in SGC stayed where they were. So for dropping levels it has a huge impact.

The water did rise with the surge (and rain) but it can and does overflow the lock doors as they're only a few inches taller than "full pool" level. Big storm surges can cause water levels inside to rise up and over the seawalls but it will drain over the lock walls and through a few other points further south down the eastern edge of the lagoon when outside waters levels recede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte