Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 01:28 PM

180 posts, read 262,479 times

Advertisements

We just learned that a Ukrainian family bought a house in our neighborhood. They won't be moving in until next month. Talking with some of the neighbors (we have a good, close knit neighborhood) that have had experience with Ukrainians they said not to expect them to be sociable, that they generally tend to keep to themselves and will not socialize outside of their fellow Ukrainians. Of course, since the house they bought is right next door to me I will definitely go over and welcome them to the neighborhood and hopefully develop a friendship with them.

My question is....what experience have you had with Ukrainians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
We have friends in NP that have Ukrainians behind them (there are thousands of them in NP), and they have lanai "parties" with them 1-2x per week. Maybe they're the exception to the rule? Not sure.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:13 PM

110 posts, read 94,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoose View Post
We just learned that a Ukrainian family bought a house in our neighborhood. They won't be moving in until next month. Talking with some of the neighbors (we have a good, close knit neighborhood) that have had experience with Ukrainians they said not to expect them to be sociable, that they generally tend to keep to themselves and will not socialize outside of their fellow Ukrainians. Of course, since the house they bought is right next door to me I will definitely go over and welcome them to the neighborhood and hopefully develop a friendship with them.

My question is....what experience have you had with Ukrainians?
Sounds like nosy neighbors making up stories, Yeah not racist at all !!!

Old 12-08-2018, 10:07 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
They probably will get closer and socialize after they know you better. People from across the pond are, generally, just like that. They will be friendly, but not fast to make friends.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:48 AM

Thanks all. I'm not so sure I wouldn't be the same way if I was in their shoes and moved to their country in an area that had a heavy population of Americans. I too would probably look to socialize more with Americans. Anyway I'll just stick to the plan of welcoming them to the neighborhood and getting to know them.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
My grandmother on my father's side escaped the Nazi-occupied Ukraine during WWII. Yes, she was very weary of strangers and even hid in the basement when she heard police sirens. Generations have passed but the Ukraine still has it's troubles. It's all about trust...be good to them and they will be very good to you. Maybe you will pick up a little Yiddish slang .

Old 12-09-2018, 08:42 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I never judge any nationality, race or creed on what others tell me since I know there are good and bad people in every group. They may be nice or not, but it has nothing to do with their ethnicity. Some groups do stick to their own, but if they have been here a long time they may be Americanized or at least their kids may be.

Go ahead and say hello and welcome them and let them know if they have any questions about the neighborhood to stop by and ask.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 AM

121 posts, read 148,346 times
I dated a Ukrainian woman who was a French Professor and I found the complete opposite to be true. Ukrainians are warm and kind people. I have been to Kiev and I can see how there is this false assumption that Ukrainians aren’t that friendly - you don’t see a great deal of smiles (Heck you don't see a lot of smiling people in NYC either!). But it's like anywhere else in the world - it's cultural. The idea of smiling without actually having much of a reason to do so used to be thought of as acting like a fool in the former Soviet Union.

Do a little research on Ukrainian history, people, customs, food, etc... It's amazingly historical country with wonderful people, a lot of false propaganda about the Ukraine has been fostered by Russia.......it's only ~300 miles from Moscow to the Ukrainian border.

Last edited by josephp732; 12-10-2018 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 05:28 AM

Wow. Such great advice. Thank you one and all.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:10 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,189 times
My Brother lives in Northport and he has a few Ukrainian neighbors.
His neighbors are social and they keep their homes and yards in immaculate condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte