Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 9,696 times

Advertisements

First, I’d like to thank y’all for your contributions to this forum. We’ve been exploring a purchase in PGI for quite a while and we’ve finally made the move. Your insights and advice have been invaluable.

Regarding the subject of this thread, we are contemplating replacing our concrete dock (which is full of cracks and settling) and the wood pilings (worm eaten) supporting our boat lift. Keesling is proposing to replace the dock with precast concrete dock sections (10’ by 15’) and replacing the pilings with precast concrete pilings. I know there have been past discussions about the relative pros and cons of concrete versus wood pilings.

If any of you have had precast concrete pilings installed within the last few years, have you been happy with your choice? Do you wish you would have gone with wooden pilings instead?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 07:53 AM

23 posts, read 22,135 times
Treated CCA-treated is fine, but the quality of pre-cast concrete these days is far superior. I would not even use natural wood decking anymore - there are too many durable artificial decking products produced now are much much better. You might consider how long you plan to live in the house, if a shorter time, say a few years, go with the cheaper installation/product. Have you done strength analysis?

Old 03-09-2021, 08:19 AM

Thanks MM. No, I haven't done a strength analysis... not sure how to go about doing that. One of the things that concerned me about the concrete pilings is something that I read on this forum... that during a hurricane a wildly swinging boat on a lift may crack the concrete piling where a wood piling would absorb the shock.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:46 AM

33 posts, read 32,761 times
Hey biggman. I have a Keesling dock and boat lift for my 26' boat. It was installed 5/2018. I've been happy with it. Initially, had an electrical problem associated with the new home construction. They eventually fixed it. I have not accomplished a comparative engineering loads analysis to know if concrete is more susceptible to a boat/lift hitting it with hurricane velocity winds. I talked to many local residents about their experiences during Irma and Charlie. Nearly all said they had a hurricane plan for their boat - tying it down properly. I experimented with different cargo straps configurations until I felt I had something that would increase the survivability. I asked my neighbors to come over and look at it, then called my insurance company who sent out a local guy. All agreed the configuration is about all I could do to minimize damage. Insurance representative said during an actual hurricane, take pictures prior to your departure. Having said all of that - I routinely tie down my boat (not my hurricane configuration) when there are high winds forecasted. With my full boat cover, my boat lift will hit the concrete pilings with winds above 30mph. It takes me maybe ten minutes to secure it with two cargo straps.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:23 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,947,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggman View Post
... One of the things that concerned me about the concrete pilings is something that I read on this forum... that during a hurricane a wildly swinging boat on a lift may crack the concrete piling where a wood piling would absorb the shock.
My neighbor had a concrete dock installed about 3 years ago. While his dock and the piers supporting it from below are concrete, the outer edge and the boat lift have wooden pilings. Supposedly the wooden pilings are more forgiving from a boat swaying on its lift. Also, the wooden pilings along the outer edge of the dock are friendlier to a tied up boat rubbing against them than concrete would be.

For what it's worth, he has no regrets about having a concrete dock.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:48 PM

Thanks guys. I think the cargo straps are a good idea. I also thought about tying some boat fenders (horizontally) to the lift at the four points it would make contact with the pilings. Lefty, did Keesling do all the work from the canal side (using a barge)? Thanks

Old 03-11-2021, 06:10 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
We had a new concrete dock and a 10K lift put in. We have 5 wooden pilings next to the dock and the boat lift is supported by wood pilings. I had the pilings wrapped. One thing I like about the wood is you can attach lights, cleats, fishing rod holders, bumpers, and umbrellas for shade, etc. Either way good luck with your choice

Old 03-12-2021, 07:16 AM

33 posts, read 32,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggman View Post
Thanks guys. I think the cargo straps are a good idea. I also thought about tying some boat fenders (horizontally) to the lift at the four points it would make contact with the pilings. Lefty, did Keesling do all the work from the canal side (using a barge)? Thanks

Yes, Keesling did all of the work...we saved some money by having the dock/lift installed prior to new home construction, which minimizes the amount of work using a barge.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:59 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,824,892 times
Keesling did mine 6 years ago no issues with dock or concrete piles

Old 03-14-2021, 03:36 PM

Thanks everyone. I’ll report back upon completion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte