Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,318,339 times

Advertisements

Our beloved Mookie passed away at home Friday, just as we were preparing to take him to the vet to be put to sleep. I am glad he died on his own terms, and not at the vet as we had planned. throughout his life he was cooperative in every way, except going to the vet, lol.

He was the oldest of our 4 cats and a faithful, loyal and devoted friend. He has been with us through a lot. We will miss him terribly, but he is no longer in pain. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,920,332 times
So very sorry for your loss. I beleive he is now running the great catnip fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. Many of my fur-babies were there to greet him. <<hugs>>

Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,391,907 times
My condolences on your loss of Mookie. I am sure that every one of our cats greeted him at the Bridge. He is now free from pain after living a wonderful life with you. RIP Mookie.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 AM
bjh

60,172 posts, read 30,479,337 times
I know how you feel. I would much rather an animal die naturally, unless they are in extreme, continuing pain.

Losing a pet can be so difficult. There is a trade off between taking them to the vet knowing that fear is added to their experience. Yet, they are also afraid and confused when they are in pain, often for the first time in their lives.

But if they are not taken in, sometimes that can be worse.

Last 2 cats we lost, one I took in, she was suffering. She was very old and something happened, she could barely breath and was obviously in extreme discomfort. Considering her condition it would have been cruel to make her wait hours or even days to die.

The other cat, also very old, had a stroke late at night. He was paralyzed. Holding him and talking to him, he purred. His breathing gradually became labored. He died as he was being petted just minutes after the vet's office opened. I felt relieved for his sake that it wasn't necessary to take him in.

I still look back on the death of the cat taken in with some regret, but yet, if it is the kinder thing to do, I would take in another pet if needed. It's a balance. Each death is different and unique. You can only make the best decision you know how to at the time.

All that said, I'm sorry for your loss. Remember the good times you had.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,061,781 times
I'm so sorry for your loss of Mookie. He was a well loved boy. R.I.P. Mookie

Old 06-20-2011, 01:02 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,924,200 times
All of us animal lovers feel for you...it is a miserable pain. So sorry but yes, glad he did not have to go into the office.

They are such wonderful friends and family members...enjoy your memories~

ps I post this a lot here...

An idea of heaven: when you arrive, all the animals you have ever loved come running to greet you~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Our beloved Mookie passed away at home Friday, just as we were preparing to take him to the vet to be put to sleep. I am glad he died on his own terms, and not at the vet as we had planned. throughout his life he was cooperative in every way, except going to the vet, lol.

He was the oldest of our 4 cats and a faithful, loyal and devoted friend. He has been with us through a lot. We will miss him terribly, but he is no longer in pain. Thank you all.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,598,057 times
I'm so sorry for the loss of Mookie...and I know what you mean about the relief in not having to take him to the vet for that final visit. In a perfect world, we would all (animals included) just slip away peacefully in our sleep...I'm glad he crossed over on his own terms and was able to be in familiar surroundings with the humans and fellow felines he loved.

RIP Mookie...
and (((HUGS))) to you

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Thank you all again..This means a lot to me, my wife and Mookie . He was one of a kind. He started declining about a week ago, yet he still had his appetite. Thursday into Friday he really got bad. Yes, I could have gotten him some excellent treatment and prolonged his life. But, would his quality of life be worth sticking around longer? I can honestly say no.

He has been sick in the past and bounced back even stronger than before. However, I sensed something from him that he was ready to go this time and for me to let him go. 15 years is a long time and he lived a great life and was loved.

BJH, yes, my wife and I discussed the possibility of adopting a kitten later in the year. Out only concern is if it will be accepted by our other cats. Thanks again.

Last edited by Gil3; 06-21-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,454,257 times
I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Mookie... they always live on in our hearts.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Mookie... they always live on in our hearts.
Exactly! Thank you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge