Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,250,343 times

Advertisements

And lately, it's like it happend 9 days ago. I had been doing well with daily thoughts of my beloved MinPin, but recently, it's back to crying sometimes and just disbelief that she's gone. I know she had a wonderful life, we were her only family, she had the best healthcare and care in general. She didn't die tragically, but it still seems like a horrible tragedy for some reason. I spent literally thousands of dollars on her with all the health issues she had over the years, but I know I got her as far as her body could go, almost 13 years.

We have a rescue dog now and I just can't seem to bond with her, even though I try. Some days I look through MinPin rescue sites, but I'm not sure if it's the right time. Or if by wanting another dog of the same breed, I'm just fooling myself, thinking that I'll replace my dead dog.

I've never had to deal with death before, so this is all new to me. It just breaks my heart every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,088,595 times
Hugs!
I feel the same way about my Penelope...she died 2 years ago, and it's still very fresh.
I think it was so hard because she was only 2 years old and suddenly got so sick.
We never did get a diagnosis after almost every test imaginable.

You can't replace a dog, but you can realize the deceased dog would want you to continue to give love to other pets. <3

Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Hugs!
I feel the same way about my Penelope...she died 2 years ago, and it's still very fresh.
I think it was so hard because she was only 2 years old and suddenly got so sick.
We never did get a diagnosis after almost every test imaginable.

You can't replace a dog, but you can realize the deceased dog would want you to continue to give love to other pets. <3
Yes, I keep telling myslef that I'm sorry you lost a beloved pet at such a young age. I feel like my MinPin died early due to all her health issues (their average life span is 15), but at least she made it a long way. I may just have to find the right dog someday that I'll feel an instant bond with.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,687,569 times
I still grieve something awful for dogs that have been gone for 20 years. But I don't let it stop me from loving the rescued mutt I have now. Please try to bond with your current dog. It deserves to be loved by you. Please don't give up on it.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I still grieve something awful for dogs that have been gone for 20 years. But I don't let it stop me from loving the rescued mutt I have now. Please try to bond with your current dog. It deserves to be loved by you. Please don't give up on it.
Oh, I won't give up. She was rescued at age 4 and probably had a rough life up until then. Now she has her forever home and an easy life. I try to bond with her and imagine it will come with time.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,848,551 times
It will. As has already been posted, there is no "replacing" a beloved family member no matter how many feet it walked on (or if it even had feet.) 15 months after my cat friend of nineteen years died I still have to remind a few people that the felines who share my life now are successors, not replacements.
Sometimes I also not only have phases of aching nostalgia for the cat who's gone, I have a sense of not feeling as deeply bonded with her successors as I think I should. Blaliko first happened on the scene as a long-time stray cat while the first cat was still around. She initially didn't visit my back porch every day to take advantage of the "feeding station" I'd left there for the strays and ferals of the neighborhood. That didn't happen until well into spring of last year. My attempts to have her TNR'd fell short when she got pregnant (but resumed after the six kittens had attained a sufficient age for them to be captured for re-homing.) After some ten months of trying I was finally able to achieve an ear scratch. From there the mutual adoption progressed pretty fast. Then I was at last able to corral her last renegade kitten so that she, too, could be TNR'd. Thanks in large part - no doubt - to her taking cues from her mom, Seteria became accepting of me no more than two months after her "female operation." By last October we were a happy family. I give Blaliko props for being such a survivor, ditto for her daughter. They are both more sparing in their affection than their predecessor, but given their histories I fully understand. Moments when they do feel like schmoozing, along with when they get into mischief, keep me amused and attached. Every day I'm grateful for Blaliko's having found me, and for being able to provide them with a safe and permanent place to call home. Regardless of that I don't always fully have the same sentiments toward them as I did toward Weasie. Then I consider that I had the one cat in my existence for two decades when they've been present for much less time. And I feel certain that we'll grow closer as the years go on.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:24 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,537,130 times
6 months as of yesterday for my beloved Newfie Zeus.....gosh I miss him. Then that Bank of America "benny" commerical hit the TV oh the tears started rolling. Then I have been planting my garden and Zeus always loved to be outside and where ever I was at.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
6 months as of yesterday for my beloved Newfie Zeus.....gosh I miss him. Then that Bank of America "benny" commerical hit the TV oh the tears started rolling. Then I have been planting my garden and Zeus always loved to be outside and where ever I was at.
I'm beginning to think the sadness just comes in "waves" here and there. And yes, certain thoughts/songs/news stories bring it all back. I had to put down my dog right after the Aurora theater shooting (which is only a few miles from my house) and while all that was going on in the news, my beloved dog was going downhill fast and I knew it was almost time. So whenever I see news reports about that, I remember that horrible time in my life.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,537,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm beginning to think the sadness just comes in "waves" here and there. And yes, certain thoughts/songs/news stories bring it all back. I had to put down my dog right after the Aurora theater shooting (which is only a few miles from my house) and while all that was going on in the news, my beloved dog was going downhill fast and I knew it was almost time. So whenever I see news reports about that, I remember that horrible time in my life.

So sorry that tragic event of the shooting goes with your dogs passing- such a horrible nightmare. I lost my boy the day before Halloween- not sure how that is going to effect me this year. Us beloved pet owners sure have big hearts. I am sure you will welcome the rescue you have now into yours. This baby is not there to replace your past one, but to enjoy you.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,324,534 times
I let my beloved weimaraner Blue go home to rest today. Just 2 hours ago. But he is not in pain anymore.

You all's notes on how you have passed through time without your beloved pets help me know there is a way ahead without him.

Bless you all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge