Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,681 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am Jacksons momma. He was a 9 year old shih tzu that I lost very suddenly. I am having a hard time dealing with it. He had DKA. I took him to the vet a week ago friday for weight loss, excessive drinking and urinating everywhere. He done an ultrasound and said he had bladder stones was his problem. He had surgery on June 28. Unfortunately he did not recover. After surgery he was acting fine and then the next day he wouldnt hardly get up. he was very lathargic. I took him back on sat. ( the day after surgery) he was throwing up blood and for fluid and an infection shot as well as something for nausea. No bloodwork was ever done on him. He had a temp as well. The dr. thought his pain meds may have been doing this so he gave him valium to give him appetite and make him drink. This didnt work. I rushed him to a hospital an 1 1/2 away on sunday night. His blood pressure was 18 and i was told he had dka. The dr got his blood pressure up but he was along way from being stable. he was throwing up blood through his nose, The doctore said even if he tried to save him the cost would be above 5,000 dollars and he didnt think he would be a dog that would make it. I made a horrible decision to have him put to sleep. This decision is haunting me every waking minute. I am having a horrible time with this and dont think it is something I am going to be able to get over. Jackson was my buddy, my friend, my baby. He followed me everywhere. I am having alot of guilt with my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 AM

729 posts, read 1,506,124 times
Please do not feel guilty. You made the best decision that you could with the information that you had at the time. Hind sight is always 50/50. It sounds like Jackson was suffering and that is painful to see. You gave him the one gift that we are allowed to give to our pets, that we cannot even give to family members in the same situation - the gift of peace. You were brave enough to do that for him.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:46 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
I am so very sorry.

I am greatly surprised the Vet didn't insist on blood work pre op.
Since this is normal procedure !

All my best to you.
I hope you are able to give another dog a home. Yet I would find another Vet.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'm very sorry for your loss. But you're still shocked and the pain is still fresh. It gets better from here - trust me. It sounds like you made the best decision you could. It sounds like you would have just dragged out his suffering if you'd tried to save him.

Look, you can almost ALWAYS spend more money to keep them alive a little longer. Doesn't mean it's right. I could have had my elderly border collie operated on when the tumor on his spleen ruptured. The doctor told me it was a possibility with a remote chance of him surviving. Um, no - I wasn't gonna put him through that on the off chance he might have a little more time. The doctor was visibly relieved at my decision.

It sounds like Jackson was hemorrhaging and weak and probably in pain. He was a little tiny senior dog, and he went through an awful lot in a short time. I really think you did all you could and there would have been no better outcome for him otherwise. Please do take comfort in that - you were charged with his care and you made the right decisions for him, even if it was painful for you.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
You must not blame yourself. We've all been there. Maybe not the exact circumstances but many of us have had to PTS a cherished pet. You went above and beyond in your due diligence seeking the best care for your friend. I know you would not have wanted him to live in pain and fear. I'm sorry for your loss.

And yes you will get over it. You won't forget him ever but give yourself some time to grieve and then open your heart and home to another canine or feline companion. There are so many shelter and rescue dogs out there who need the kind of love and care you can give. But don't do anything too soon. You will know when it is time.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:23 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,356,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's momma View Post
Hello, I am Jacksons momma. He was a 9 year old shih tzu that I lost very suddenly. I am having a hard time dealing with it. He had DKA. I took him to the vet a week ago friday for weight loss, excessive drinking and urinating everywhere. He done an ultrasound and said he had bladder stones was his problem. He had surgery on June 28. Unfortunately he did not recover. After surgery he was acting fine and then the next day he wouldnt hardly get up. he was very lathargic. I took him back on sat. ( the day after surgery) he was throwing up blood and for fluid and an infection shot as well as something for nausea. No bloodwork was ever done on him. He had a temp as well. The dr. thought his pain meds may have been doing this so he gave him valium to give him appetite and make him drink. This didnt work. I rushed him to a hospital an 1 1/2 away on sunday night. His blood pressure was 18 and i was told he had dka. The dr got his blood pressure up but he was along way from being stable. he was throwing up blood through his nose, The doctore said even if he tried to save him the cost would be above 5,000 dollars and he didnt think he would be a dog that would make it. I made a horrible decision to have him put to sleep. This decision is haunting me every waking minute. I am having a horrible time with this and dont think it is something I am going to be able to get over. Jackson was my buddy, my friend, my baby. He followed me everywhere. I am having alot of guilt with my decision.
I am so very sorry for your loss. Try not to beat yourself up. Mistakes were made, but not by you. We also lost a dog due to an undiagnosed medical condition that wasn't found until right after she came out of a routine dental cleaning/anesthesia. I think it's the vet's ultimate responsibility to thoroughly check any older dog before doing any sort of surgery. We changed vets after our tragedy. I can't suggest you do the same, but I do think the vet who performed the initial surgery that led to the acute trauma that took little Jackson really dropped the ball.

Again, I am very sorry and know just how you are feeling.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,681 times
Thank all of you for your kind words. I am doing a little bit better, but I try to keep busy, but in even doing that I still find myself looking for him. I had a lot of years with the same routine and now that has changed. I have been pouring all my love into my daughters shorky, poor thing....lol. I am probably driving her crazy. The dr. said I could pick up Jacksons ashes last friday, but when I called the lady told me it could take up to 2 weeks. This is a little bothersome for me. I couldnt stand to bury him since he wasnt an outside dog. I just miss him so badly. People think I am awful to be this upset over a pet, but he wasnt just a pet to me.....he was my best friend. He loved me unconditionally as did I him.
Thanks again......it just helps to talk about it.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Thank all of you for your kind words. I am doing a little bit better, but I try to keep busy, but in even doing that I still find myself looking for him. I had a lot of years with the same routine and now that has changed. I have been pouring all my love into my daughters shorky, poor thing....lol. I am probably driving her crazy. The dr. said I could pick up Jacksons ashes last friday, but when I called the lady told me it could take up to 2 weeks. This is a little bothersome for me. I couldnt stand to bury him since he wasnt an outside dog. I just miss him so badly. People think I am awful to be this upset over a pet, but he wasnt just a pet to me.....he was my best friend. He loved me unconditionally as did I him.
I am so sorry you are hurting.

Please know you did the right thing......

(((((HUGS)))))

Old 07-08-2014, 05:55 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
Quote:

PLEASE THINK ABOUT ADOPTING A DOG FROM A SHELTER!

I am sure you it would be one lucky dog to have you as an owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge