Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 AM

222 posts, read 439,301 times

Advertisements

My cat a few months back stopped eating and became severely dehydrated. I didn't know what the problem was at the time. The Dr wasn't really sure what was wrong, and said maybe she caught a virus. She did say that the kidneys were slightly elevated. Anyway we kept her at the vets for a few days to pump some fluids in her. When we brought her back home, I noticed that she was just eating on one side of her mouth and would drop food sometimes. Right there I knew that it was dental problems. All that time she was there they didn't think to look at her teeth. The problem was, when I figured what was wrong, I couldn't just bring her back to the vet. I had already paid around $400.00 dollars for the time spent at the vet. Fast forward to today (4 months later), her teeth had gotten so bad that she couldn't even eat the canned food which is soft. She refused everything including her favorite, tuna. Again she became dehydrated. I just couldn't see her suffer anymore and decided that it was time to let go. I even had the vet this time around look at the teeth, and she said they were bad. The vet asked me if I wanted them to run any tests, I said no. I hope to God that there was more going on than just the dental problem. It makes me feel awful if that's what was wrong, something that could have been corrected. Like I said financially I just couldn't afford to spend another few hundred dollars. I'm thankful that she lived a long life. She was my best friend of 17 years and I will forever miss her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,172,108 times
Sometimes circumstances dictate what decision one has to make. In many cases it comes down to finances. That can happen to even the best pet owners. If one can't afford big vet bills that doesn't make them a bad pet owner. It is reality and there is no option. I'm in the same boat. I can afford shots, food, checkups, normal vet bills, etc, but a serious illness that would cost hundreds or thousands of dollars I couldn't do. Luckily, all the pets I've had I've had for normal life spans up to 15 years. They all have had long and happy lives and been much loved and well cared for. None were ever hungry, thirsty, mistreated or ignored. Each one was always a best friend and treated like it.
Any pet who lived with the same owner for 17 years was obviously well taken care of and loved. Your cat has known for many years how much you care for it. You have given it a good life. Sometimes, us pet lovers have to show one more act of love and not let them suffer. That is the most difficult act of love of all. You would have nothing to feel guilty about. Your pet lived for 17 years of having a good life. Providing that is something way too many pets never get.
I'm 66 years old and have had pets all my life so I've been through having to put down a pet a few times. It is never easy. But sometimes it is best to show that final act of love.
In your case though I would get a second opinion from another vet to make sure. And ask about any free or reduced rate clinics that might be able to help you and then make whatever decision you will have to make.
I know how you feel. I've been there. But I also know that all my pets had a good, happy, and long life. That is the best we can do for them and we feel sad over a loss of one but knowing it was loved, and the love was returned untill it was their time to leave us was the best life we could give them.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Sometimes circumstances dictate what decision one has to make. In many cases it comes down to finances. That can happen to even the best pet owners. If one can't afford big vet bills that doesn't make them a bad pet owner. It is reality and there is no option. I'm in the same boat. I can afford shots, food, checkups, normal vet bills, etc, but a serious illness that would cost hundreds or thousands of dollars I couldn't do. Luckily, all the pets I've had I've had for normal life spans up to 15 years. They all have had long and happy lives and been much loved and well cared for. None were ever hungry, thirsty, mistreated or ignored. Each one was always a best friend and treated like it.
Any pet who lived with the same owner for 17 years was obviously well taken care of and loved. Your cat has known for many years how much you care for it. You have given it a good life. Sometimes, us pet lovers have to show one more act of love and not let them suffer. That is the most difficult act of love of all. You would have nothing to feel guilty about. Your pet lived for 17 years of having a good life. Providing that is something way too many pets never get.
I'm 66 years old and have had pets all my life so I've been through having to put down a pet a few times. It is never easy. But sometimes it is best to show that final act of love.
In your case though I would get a second opinion from another vet to make sure. And ask about any free or reduced rate clinics that might be able to help you and then make whatever decision you will have to make.
I know how you feel. I've been there. But I also know that all my pets had a good, happy, and long life. That is the best we can do for them and we feel sad over a loss of one but knowing it was loved, and the love was returned untill it was their time to leave us was the best life we could give them.
^^^^^^^^^
This, this, this.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Thank you for the kind words, unfortunately I didn't get a second opinion and that's why I'm feeling guilty. It's killing me inside, and I stayed up crying all night thinking about it. Whenever I fist got my cat, I never knew how much it would cost as they got older and started having the health problems. Some people don't realize that there is more to taking care of a pet than just giving it a home and feeding it.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I'm sorry for your loss. You gave your cat a good, loving home for 17 years and that's important.

You did the best you could under the circumstances. Please try to find some peace in that.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. You gave your cat a good, loving home for 17 years and that's important.

You did the best you could under the circumstances. Please try to find some peace in that.
Thank you very much

Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM

71 posts, read 144,707 times
Oh, so very sorry. I lost my heart kitty three years ago. She was with me for 16 years. Just yesterday I was thinking I waited TOO LONG to help her with the pain she was in. But kitty told me when the time was right.

Please don't beat yourself up. Your kitty had a loving home and friend in you for many, many years.

Be kind to yourself on this. No rule book on this situation. Her pain is gone.... you were kind.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
What a sad situation. As the others said, you gave her 17 years of love and care. It's hard not to feel guilty when we have our beloved pets put to sleep, no matter what the circumstances, or how sure we are that it was the right thing to do. But please try to go easy on yourself. You obviously did all you could for her, for a very long time. You have my sincere condolences.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,373 times
today July 3 2015 I had my five year old cat Wrigley put to sleep. JULY 1 TOOK HIM TO MY NORMAL VET BECAUSE HE WAS VERY TIRED AND NOT EATING RIGHT THEY SAID THAT HE MIGHT HAVE AT A BONE BUT IT WAS MOVING THROUGH IS COLON FINE NOT TO WORREY. AFTER NOT EATING I HAD HIS RECORDS SENT TO A NEW VET WITH IN 20 MIN I GOT THE REAL DIAGONSED HE HAD CANCER IN HIS UPPER INTESTINE AND LOWER COLON AND IT HAD SPREAD. AFTER A 2000 DOLLER OPERATION I HAD TO SAY GOODBYE TO MY BEST FRIEND. THE ONLEY CAT THAT LISTEN LIKE A DOG HE WAS VERY SMART AND SLEPT NEXT TO ME EVERY NIGHT. IT WAS NEWS THAT HIT ME LIKS A SLEDGE HAMMER .I WILL FOREVER MISS HIM AND WILL NEVER FIND A CAT WITH HIS SMARTS. LOVE FOREVER WRIGLEY

Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
So sorry for your loss. I believe he is now running the great catnip fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. My Katrina and Buster were there to greet him. ((Hufs))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge