Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 PM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah...and if anyone wants to switch to DirecTV...I'll give you my account number so we both can get $10 off for 10 months! Or...make sure you ask around here or around your family to see if they have DirecTV, so at least someone can get that deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:07 AM

23 posts, read 69,440 times
Verizon has a great deal going on right now thats 99 bucks a month and you get FIOS (a really fast internet service), home telephone with unlimited long distance, and 200+ channels and 42 HD channels :-).. We love it. Check it out

Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM

249 posts, read 691,772 times
In my opinion, the comparisons are not even close. I'd pick Directv anyday of the week. But I can't get it at my new house due to tall trees in the back yard.

1. TWC DVR- What a piece of junk. So many issues with it. Just replaced my DVR and the "new" is not much better. The memory is minimal and it always messes up. I can't count how many times I have had to manually edit the scheduled recordings to make sure my favorite show tapes first. How hard can it be to set up priorities? I had LOST as #1 priority, yet it would frequently not schedule to tape it because one of my wife's shows like 82 kids and counting was also on at the same time. I guess TWC thinks a show that I have set at 35th priority takes precedent over #1.

2. HD Programming- While its getting better, they still don't have near as many HD channels as Directv.

3. MASN- This is the #1 reason I hate TWC. They continue to refuse to carry MASN(Mid Atlantic Sports Network). So I have no way of watching my pathetic Orioles(maybe thats a good thing). But it sure would have been nice to watch Strasburgs MLB the other night. Everyone in the country saw that but us!

To prove that I am not a total TWC hater, I will admit that there Customer Service has been pretty darn good anytime I have called. Even had someone out first thing next day to replace DVRs and check connections. Also, so far I really like what they have done with their new TV lineup. The previous one was a total mess, but now everything is categorized together with similar channels. Once I memorize all the channels, I think it will be pretty neat.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfboy90 View Post
Verizon has a great deal going on right now thats 99 bucks a month and you get FIOS (a really fast internet service), home telephone with unlimited long distance, and 200+ channels and 42 HD channels :-).. We love it. Check it out
When did FiOS get here?!?!?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,485 times
I switched to DTV about 2 years ago, and never looked back, so much better than TWC.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
There are two reasons I switched from Directv to TWC - (1) Tivo Premier and (2) ability to get HD service without a two-year contract. I may wind up trying U-Verse when my TWC promo pricing is up next year, or go back to Directv assuming they release their HD Tivo by then.

All things being equal I'd prefer to have stayed with Directv, but I had to have Tivo!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
We switched from Directv to TWC 10 years ago and have been completely happy with their service. I couldn't stand having the tv go out in bad weather. I love my dvr and have never had trouble with it.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfboy90 View Post
Well, they do. Too bad you can't get FiOS in the Triangle ... Those pesky adverts that show up on various local websites are ... well .. misplaced.

Or, if you live in Cary, perhaps an ATT Uverse customer?
Frank

Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald
1. TWC DVR- What a piece of junk. So many issues with it. Just replaced my DVR and the "new" is not much better. The memory is minimal and it always messes up. I can't count how many times I have had to manually edit the scheduled recordings to make sure my favorite show tapes first. How hard can it be to set up priorities? I had LOST as #1 priority, yet it would frequently not schedule to tape it because one of my wife's shows like 82 kids and counting was also on at the same time. I guess TWC thinks a show that I have set at 35th priority takes precedent over #1.
I think I had one of their Scientific Atlanta boxes. I had so much trouble with those stupid things. That was two years ago though...I certainly hope they're better these days. Although, my Dad has one through Cablevision up in Jersey and it literally takes about 5 seconds to respond to each push of the button on the remote. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald
2. HD Programming- While its getting better, they still don't have near as many HD channels as Directv.
And I think they just added another 35 HD channels in May. Some were Sports Pack channels that I don't have, but it was definitely good to see Travel HD finally added!

A side note for DirecTV customers w/HD...currently, you pay an extra $10/mo for HD Access (it may be built into your existing package). Dish made a move to drop their HD charge, and DirecTV has followed for new customers. They're considering dropping the charge altogether. But at this point, they're offering existing customers $10 off their bill for 24 months. Just call the customer service line...ask for promotions...then ask the rep, "I'm wondering if I qualify for the free HD for 24 months promo?" It's called "24mosFreeHDAcc". The only thing you need to do or have to qualify is autopay set up. And I don't think it's valid for subscribers still in their initial 1-2 year signup promo.

When I called, the first rep I talked to went through this whole shpeel of "what promos I qualify for". She started offering me free Starz, Showtime, or Sports Pack for 3 months, then said I qualify for an equipment upgrade...then said I qualify for multi room viewing or something. I then got forwarded to promotions, who gave me the $10 credit for 24 months. Piece of cake.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 AM

249 posts, read 691,772 times
Yeah the box I was referring to is the Scientific Atlantic. Total junk. On the box I just got rid of, I could punch in like 5 commands and nothing would happen. Then 30 seconds later, all 5 commands would happen at once. Fast Forward and Rewinding became a total joke and almost impossible to use. And those are two of the most important things for a DVR.

I am either going to waste some of my precious day and go to one of the TWC locations to ask for the newer box or get a TIVO Premiere. Just debating on whether I want to spend a couple hundred of bucks. I do love TIVO though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary