Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:32 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times

Advertisements

I had DTV come out yesterday and try to install their dish. Long story short: I only have one cable coming into the house and then it splits up in a smart box. According to the tech, his supervisor, and the 1-800 number, the only way to connect their system without drilling holes in the side of my house is to install a "swim box." Their policy, apparently, is to not install swim boxes unless you order three receivers, and two of them must be HD DVRs (they require two lines each).

DTV said the swim box costs the company $200 (and I wasn't about to pay it). They would only install it if I ordered 5 lines (two HD DVRs and one regular HD box). So, I told them to be on their merry way and that I'd go with Time Warner before drilling two holes on the side of my house (I confirmed this by calling the DTV customer service three times and I got the same answer each time).

So, I called TWC. The rep asked me if I had called anyone else and if I was comparing prices. I told her that I had called DTV. She asked what they were offering and at what price, so I told her "digital service, with HD, and Sho/HBO/Starz free for 6 months for $54.99." TWC actually beat that price by giving me their digital preferred package with HD for $38.95 a month plus an extra $5.00 a month for HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax for 24 months. This is a great price, especially since it's guaranteed for two years and is much, much cheaper than the $60 a month I was going to have to pay for DirecTV, not including the Premium channels.

So, I'm happy with the price, now we'll see if I can be satisfied with the service, LOL.

Just thought I'd let you guys know in case you're considering ordering cable or DTV.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:12 PM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times
Completely different experience from when I had DTV set up. The guy had no problem running a line from the dish in the backyard into the crawlspace and fishing the line up into the smartbox. I believe they use independent contractors to install DTV, so I imagine peoples' experiences will vary from install to install.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:32 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
So, I'm happy with the price, now we'll see if I can be satisfied with the service, LOL.
You signed a two year contract.. so I hope you are satisfied with the service too!

I had two holes drilled in my house for my Directv install at my current and previous house. It didn't seem like a big deal to me - they couldn't use my existing coax anyhow, so they put in a new outlet in my living room. TWC drilled a rather poorly located hole in my floor for my cable phone last summer - I was not happy with the hole in they made in my carpet! Install experience can definitely vary widely with either company!

Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 PM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
You signed a two year contract.. so I hope you are satisfied with the service too!

I had two holes drilled in my house for my Directv install at my current and previous house. It didn't seem like a big deal to me - they couldn't use my existing coax anyhow, so they put in a new outlet in my living room. TWC drilled a rather poorly located hole in my floor for my cable phone last summer - I was not happy with the hole in they made in my carpet! Install experience can definitely vary widely with either company!
Hmm, they didn't say anything about "signing a contract." All the lady said was that the price wouldn't change for two years. If, however, I decide to change my service and they say that I did, in fact, sign a contract then I guess I'll have to drop an EECB (that's Executive Email Carpet Bomb) and complain until they let me out of it, LOL.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Directv SWIM boxes can be had on eBay for ~$50. Sounds like the installer was trying to pad his pocket.

NEW DIRECTV SLIMLINE HD KA/KU DISH SWM 3 LNB - eBay (item 170361242684 end time Jul-22-09 17:39:08 PDT)

Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 AM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
Hmm, they didn't say anything about "signing a contract." All the lady said was that the price wouldn't change for two years. If, however, I decide to change my service and they say that I did, in fact, sign a contract then I guess I'll have to drop an EECB (that's Executive Email Carpet Bomb) and complain until they let me out of it, LOL.
It is a contract. They record the offer your voice when you agree to the terms over the phone. You will pay an early termination fee if you cancel service before the 24 months is up.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Now I'm confused. Every once in a while - usually during spells when TWC's service is particularly crappy, I consider switching to satellite TV. Now it seems they can't/won't use the same cables my house is already wired with for their setup? I really wish they'd publish somewhere a simple description of what it is one needs for satellite. The list seems to keep growing - from converters in every room, phone lines in every room, now new cable wiring ... what else?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:13 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
The only time you really need a phone line is during initial setup, and then if you order Pay Per View via the set (which costs more I think, so I do it online on the Directv website). My box hasn't "phoned home" in 212 days and works fine.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 AM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times
Yeah, the need for a phone line is something of a myth. I didn't even need it during the initial setup, and anytime I order PPV, I just get it through the website.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Now I'm confused. Every once in a while - usually during spells when TWC's service is particularly crappy, I consider switching to satellite TV. Now it seems they can't/won't use the same cables my house is already wired with for their setup? I really wish they'd publish somewhere a simple description of what it is one needs for satellite. The list seems to keep growing - from converters in every room, phone lines in every room, now new cable wiring ... what else?
It's possible. Someone hopefully can provide a more precise answer on what needs to be used...but I believe you need at least RG-6 coax cable. That's the first thing my installer asked is what kind of cable is run throughout the house. I think there's like RG-5 and lower quality cable not suitable for satellite and HDTV. At that point, new lines of RG-6 coax need to be run (I think DirecTV includes up to 100 feet of cable per room, but you'll probably be doing the drilling and fishing yourself unless you want to pay). Thankfully, I had RG-6 already run, so the dish is by my old TWC box and it was taking the lines and hooking it through the dish.

And that is right...you don't need a phone line. I've never had a phone line and the guy never even asked me about it. It's definitely recommended to get ethernet though to take advantage of On Demand, Apps, and PPV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary