Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 AM

467 posts, read 1,775,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Yeah, the need for a phone line is something of a myth. I didn't even need it during the initial setup, and anytime I order PPV, I just get it through the website.
Agreed - I wasn't even moved into my house (and have never had land-line service here) when I received installation, and the phone thing has never been an issue.

My installer was phenomenal - he was a contractor, which I know many have spoken poorly about - but it was raining sheets the whole time he was here, and he still worked steadily even while outside, was very thorough and professional, and gave me his cell # should there be issues at all (which there never have been).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 03:51 PM

94 posts, read 248,637 times
That's too bad. Direct TV is 100X better than Time Warner.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:16 AM

331 posts, read 1,311,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post
I agree! I had cable for 10 years, here and in California. Different states, same issues. Direct TV is awesome!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
Agreed - I wasn't even moved into my house (and have never had land-line service here) when I received installation, and the phone thing has never been an issue.

My installer was phenomenal - he was a contractor, which I know many have spoken poorly about - but it was raining sheets the whole time he was here, and he still worked steadily even while outside, was very thorough and professional, and gave me his cell # should there be issues at all (which there never have been).
Sounds a lot like the dude I had... But I can't for the life of me remember his name. Worked diligently, absolutely nothing was a problem, fished lines, went into the crawlspace, no extra charges or any of that junk. He was even able to put the dish on a pole in an out-of-the-way corner of the yard, completely obscured from the front by the fence, and he included what I think was that "SWM" box for free. Maybe some people don't have such luck with their DTV installs, but I can't wait for a viable high-speed internet alternative to RoadRunner so I can kick TW to the curb forever!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post
Definitely. Can't wait for NFL season and Sunday Ticket!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,728,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Definitely. Can't wait for NFL season and Sunday Ticket!
Ha! But after at least six months of hype, we on TWC finally have our "start over" feature. Now, if my wife happens to catch the tail end of some lousy show/movie on the Hallmark channel (and six or seven other channels that I have never, ever watched), she can go back and watch the whole thing in its entirety. Woo-hoo!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Ha! But after at least six months of hype, we on TWC finally have our "start over" feature. Now, if my wife happens to catch the tail end of some lousy show/movie on the Hallmark channel (and six or seven other channels that I have never, ever watched), she can go back and watch the whole thing in its entirety. Woo-hoo!
Yeah, I was eagerly anticipating this feature, and then they announced the channels that have it. It's the lamest, most unwatched, very small group of channels I could have imagined. Thanks, TWC, for that great feature!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM

455 posts, read 919,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Yeah, I was eagerly anticipating this feature, and then they announced the channels that have it. It's the lamest, most unwatched, very small group of channels I could have imagined. Thanks, TWC, for that great feature!

No kidding. I wasn't holding my breath that it would actually be worth a damn, but I figured hey, new feature, that's cool. Then I saw it wasn't offered on any of the HD channels (Which are the only ones I watch). So another useless gimmick.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:47 AM

450 posts, read 1,554,447 times
The one positive thing about having TWC, tho, is that I get to keep my TiVo. I don't know if I could ever go back to any company's DVR after using TiVo. I can schedule over the web and from my iPhone in case I remember that I wanted to DVR a show and forgot to do it at home, too (I know DTV has this, too, but the TiVo interface is definitely the best in the business).

I thought of calling DTV and having them come out one more time and see if they'd install it with the swim box. I might still do that within the 60 day trial period with TWC and see. If they come out and tell me they can't do it then I guess I can always go the Ebay route and get myself a swim box that way.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:48 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,624,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
The one positive thing about having TWC, tho, is that I get to keep my TiVo. I don't know if I could ever go back to any company's DVR after using TiVo. I can schedule over the web and from my iPhone in case I remember that I wanted to DVR a show and forgot to do it at home, too (I know DTV has this, too, but the TiVo interface is definitely the best in the business).
I'm actually using an old (very old) Directivo unit for my Directv service. It's not HD, but it will record 2 channels at once. I bought it used off CL, and spent more than a few hours on the phone with Directv to get it activated. It's the main reason I haven't jumped to HD - I don't want to give up Tivo, and I don't want to switch back to TWC. So even though I'm the most technology addicted person I know, I have standard digital Directv service that I watch on a 36" Sony tube tv! That's how much I love Tivo (and dislike TWC). I'm hoping that the new HD Directivo comes out in early 2010 then I can make the switch (or I will check out U-Verse if it comes to my house)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary