Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:34 PM

355 posts, read 1,503,515 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at subdivisions in Durham besides Cary and North Raleigh. I need to commute to RTP for work.
Grove Park
Audubon Park
Hope Valley Farms
Autumn Ridge (N. Durham)
Trinity Park
Providence Ridge (SW Durham)
Woodcroft
Treyburn
Hillandale Commons
Lochside (SW Durham)

Your imput on these neighborhoods are welcome. Any additional neighborhoods i could look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 04:24 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,647 times
I live in Woodcroft & I really love it. The houses here are all around 15-20 years old. Price ranges can vary a lot because the neighborhood is so large & there are so many sections to it. There's one section with small, cute homes that start around 150K, and there are other areas with very large homes that cost 3 times as much (maybe more). I have 3 grocery stores within 2 miles of my front door. I-40 is about 2 miles away, and Southpoint Mall - one of the nicest malls in the Triangle - is just 2 miles away, as is the Super Target, Best, Buy, etc. There are also locally-owned and chain restaurants close by. And yet, even with so much so close to us, it is very quiet here. We lived in a very rural area before this and have been surprised that our new neighborhood is just as quiet as it was out in the boonies.

There are a few things that make Woodcroft especially attractive to us.
1. Mature trees EVERYWHERE! Just driving or walking around, it is a joy to be in such a lovely place. Our backyard is an absolute forest, filled with dozens and dozens of trees. Cuts down on the mowing, too!
2. Oodles and oodles of paved walking trails. They wind for miles all through the community. The trails are extremely well used, too. I think it's impossible to drive within Woodcroft and not see someone walking their dog or pushing a baby stroller or jogging.
3. Low HOA fees. Our monthly fee is well under $20 a month. That's because the HOA just covers the walking trails, landscaping in public areas, a playground, and the usual HOA neighborhood disputes. If you're interested, there is a community center, complete with a very large swimming pool, tennis courts, soccer fields, and tons of activities (wine tastings, movie nights for the kids, etc), but it costs extra to join. I appreciate that I have the choice to join. That isn't the case for lots of other communities.

I think that different sections of Woodcroft are assigned to differnt schools. I'm not totally positive about this (I don't have kids), but I believe that there is a split there somewhere & that some kids in Woodcroft go to Hope Valley Elementary & others go to Southwest, etc. etc. For the houses on the east side of the neighborhood, there's a walking trail that leads right up to the back of Southwest Elementary, so some kids use that to walk to school.

As for Hope Valley Farms, I toured some of the houses there. The homes are all fairly new, built in the '90s & early '00s. The sign outside the neighborhood says "starting in the $140s", but that probably includes the townhomes. We didn't buy in Hope Valley Farms because we felt the lots were too small and there were far too few trees. It just felt hotter there than in Woodcroft. Plus, the HOA fees are around $70 a month because of the swimming pool & tennis courts. We never use public swimming pools, so it wasn't worth it to us.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,845,820 times
There are alot of nice neighborhoods in Durham. Of course like any city it has its rough areas, but it has really changed its course the last several years.I will strongly advise you to have whatever house you buy inspected. I am not trying to sell you on anything in any way, shape, or form, but there are foundation issues in sections of Durham(Chapel Hill as well) due to expansive clay that can be quite costly to repair. I have inspected homes with cracks I can put my fist through. This can happen other places as well of course, but parts of Durham are notorious for it. My in-laws have lived in Woodcroft for 20 years and love it. The yards are beautiful and the access to RTP is 2nd to none.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 PM

959 posts, read 4,494,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
I have been looking at subdivisions in Durham besides Cary and North Raleigh. I need to commute to RTP for work.
Grove Park
Audubon Park
Hope Valley Farms
Autumn Ridge (N. Durham)
Trinity Park
Providence Ridge (SW Durham)
Woodcroft
Treyburn
Hillandale Commons
Lochside (SW Durham)

Your imput on these neighborhoods are welcome. Any additional neighborhoods i could look at?
I'm really enjoying SW Durham as well The shopping access is wonderful, and the schools (Creekside, Southwest, Pearsontown, Hope Valley Elementaries, Githens Middle School, Jordan High School) are very well regarded, both of which add to your property's value. Much of the SW Durham area is very thickly treed - very pretty

Here are some photos I took of the area:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ey-durham.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pe-valley.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary