Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,305 times

Advertisements

I will try to cover as many points as I quickly can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
I respect your post and feedback.

However.........

My primary point is that it is tough everywhere. People are smart enough to make their own decisions. If it does not work out, that is on them.
Yep. People will do what people will do.

Quote:
Everytime someone suggests moving there without a job there is an army of people who go full throttle into the " don't move here without a job" routine.

The concept of people telling others not to move there is saving them from some hideous pre-determined destiny is ridiculous.

If someone has not figured out that it would be a challenge,then shame on them. Having people who don't know them personally or know anything about the details of their situation or lives give them career advice is equally ridiculous.
I am fairly certain that I have not personally told anyone not to move here. That said, I will be honest about the employment situation of our area.

Quote:
I hear these cliches like "everyone thinks the streets are lined with jobs down here", etc. It is very condescending to assume that everyone who wants to relocate there thinks it is the promised land and that jobs are like shooting fish in a barrel. Give people credit for having a clue..
Unfortunately, many people do believe that jobs are plentiful. If you read many of the posts from folks over the past 6 months, many truly have no clue. Many have done zero research about NC. They read those ridiculous (and often outdated) stories listing Raleigh/Durham/Cary as one of the best areas to live. It is a great place to live, however, many of these articles that are cut-and-pasted all over the internet do not contain current stats. There was for instance a recent article in Forbes or maybe CNN Money, but anyway, the information was based on stats from 2008. Not exactly indicative of 2010.

Quote:
People on here talk about the Triangle like it is the great depression.
Most of us are not old enough to have lived through the actual Depression, however I have no doubt that it feels like it to many. When I moved here three years ago, jobs were abundant and homes were selling in only a few weeks. Not anymore. Folks who have been here a long time or who are native have offered many excellent perspectives on what the Triangle "once was" and what "it is now." I don't consider myself an expert in anyway on all things Triangle, but wow...how things have changed in just three years!

Quote:
Most likely they want a change and are looking for a better quality of life.
I have no doubt. This is exactly why my wife and I moved our family from DC. However, many who move here w/o a safety net of sorts such as savings or family support will not find a "better quality of life."

Quote:
You said this Being unemployed in an unfamiliar place with no family and [u]friends will be hard, I imagine... Your imagination may not be the reality for other people. Being unemployed in a new place with the chance to meet new people and explore a new and interesting area while looking for a job may be the exact thing someone needs.
I cannot imagine being unemployed with no safety net, i.e. friends and family can be likened to an adventure.

Quote:
You also say that jobs in your company are often filled by "someone who knows someone". Here is my advice for that, if you are looking for work get to know lots of someones..
Let me clarify this statement. Jobs that are not filled in-house, are being filled by candidates who already work in the industry and are very well-connected (and not currently unemployed). Or, in the case of the position that I am currently interviewing candidates for, post-docs from specific universities i.e Ivy League only. All of the resumes that I received are from very qualified and talented candidates. However, the position will be filled by the candidate who has ties to my boss. So, it will not be filled by "someone" who happened to meet my boss at a coffee shop or at the grocery store. There is already abundant local and unemployed talent who will be better connected than someone who just decided to move here and make the "best of it."

Quote:
92% of the people there are employed. Every day someone retires, is fired, gets transferred, moves somewhere else, etc.
I do not know the actual unemployment rate for the Triangle, but if you are correct and it is 8%, well I would certainly consider 8% to be very high. Nonetheless, it is nothing like it was a few years ago when the rate was likely around 4%. I'm sure someone can provide more exacting figures to those interested. According to the Bureau of Statistics (May 2010), NC has an unemployment rate of 10.3% and we rank 37th. So, we are only better off than 13 states. Actual numbers will obviously vary area to area. More importantly, these stats do not include those who are under-employed and those who have "given up" looking for work. So, I think that it is safe to say that the "true" unemployment rate for this area is higher than the quoted 8%. And true, folks do retire, get laid-off or transfer. These scenarios have all happened at my work. However, very few of these jobs lost (regardless of "how") have been replaced. Companies have realized that they can still meet goals with fewer employees. I know that other Triangle companies have similar attitudes.

To anyone who does move here w/o a job, I truly wish you the best in your job search. Moving to the Triangle has been wonderful for my family.

Last edited by NCInMyMind; 07-19-2010 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: horrible grammar....oh well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM

223 posts, read 576,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
I do not know the actual unemployment rate for the Triangle, but if you are correct and it is 8%, well I would certainly consider 8% to be very high. Nonetheless, it is nothing like it was a few years ago when the rate was likely around 4%. I'm sure someone can provide more exacting figures to those interested. According to the Bureau of Statistics (May 2010), NC has an unemployment rate of 10.3% and we rank 37th. So, we are only better off than 13 states. Actual numbers will obviously vary area to area. More importantly, these stats do not include those who are under-employed and those who have "given up" looking for work. So, I think that it is safe to say that the "true" unemployment rate for this area is higher than the quoted 8%. And true, folks do retire, get laid-off or transfer. These scenarios have all happened at my work. However, very few of these jobs lost (regardless of "how") have been replaced. Companies have realized that they can still meet goals with fewer employees. I know that other Triangle companies have similar attitudes.
Last I read, the Triangle unemployment rate was hovering around 8%. Better than some areas, but worse than many.

NCinmymind is unfortunately spot on. Most local companies seem to have hiring freezes. Jobs that were lost are not being replaced. Many companies' profits are not really from doing anything particularly innovative, but rather from lower costs as a result of trimming their workforces.

I think the assertion that folks on C-D are discouraging people from moving here w/o a job in hopes of reducing competition is total nonsense. Most of the "prominent" posters offer a variety of information including insight into the job market. Whenever a member gets upset about the realities, they accuse the other members of being negative naysayers. Some even accuse them of having ulterior motives.

I am happily employed and I would not recommend moving anywhere w/o a job. I might reconsider if I were unmarried/no kids/lots of savings.

While the OP may face a rough road finding employment, at least she has family in NC to rely on and live with until she finds a job.

Good luck kittnmouse with the job hunt and new baby!

Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 AM

82 posts, read 224,202 times
thanks alf-rocks!
since my original post, we've both updated our resumes and asked friends to circulate them among colleagues and their friends. hopefully knowing someone who knows someone will help us land a job faster...i'm so thankful to have supportive parents, willing to help us through the transitional period... it was a tough decision to move and take that risk, but we already know what staying in CA will mean for our family; financial struggle for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary