Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 07:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

The Triangle is bracing for the arrival of electric cars by adding about
200 public charging stations during the next two years.
The state currently offers fewer than a dozen outlets for public recharging.
Construction is financed largely by federal stimulus funds.

Triangle to be proving ground for electric cars - Technology - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 AM

746 posts, read 2,248,292 times
cool! I can almost hear the naysayers now - the same ones who, throw them back a hundred years or so, were all upset about the funds being "squandered" on highways that connected. Amazing that it didn't happen until Eisenhower!

Old 06-18-2010, 08:14 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
So it will be free to charge your car?

It will be good for commuters, but if it takes 2-4 hours to charge your car it's kind of pointless to put them at a grocery store. Need better tech in this area still.

I wonder how this will affect the power grid, since we always hear story of how outdated it is.

I have been thinking about getting a volt when they come out, but you can buy a lot of gas for the 20k premium I hear they car will cost.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I have been thinking about getting a volt when they come out, but you can buy a lot of gas for the 20k premium I hear they car will cost.
200,000 miles worth, give or take.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,080,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
So it will be free to charge your car?

It will be good for commuters, but if it takes 2-4 hours to charge your car it's kind of pointless to put them at a grocery store. Need better tech in this area still.

I wonder how this will affect the power grid, since we always hear story of how outdated it is.

Sticky point ... Power utilities are regulated in NC. So unless you're a utility you can't sell power. The article mentions potential workarounds via a connection fee, etc.

Lots of work being done on smart grid tech too, but I hear you.

Frank

Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 AM

797 posts, read 3,581,226 times
Awesome, can't wait. Glad I still drive a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo. I have been holding out waiting b/c I know we are about usher in a whole new era in cars in the next few years, and I wanted to wait till then before getting a new car.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:09 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,585,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Sticky point ... Power utilities are regulated in NC. So unless you're a utility you can't sell power. The article mentions potential workarounds via a connection fee, etc.

Lots of work being done on smart grid tech too, but I hear you.

Frank
I love how the gov't can just subvert it's own rules.

It simply isn't reasonable to have a regulated industry and then the can just cast it aside under the guise of "oh we will just charge you a fee to us the connector", when it's obvious that you are paying for the electricity. I think they either need to unregulated it or less progress energy build the stations if it see's fit.

I understand that they may not want to do that or it might not be profitable, but it's the laws our gov't has laid down and they need to live by them or change them.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:22 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Wow! Thank you for posting this. I've been interested in the Nissan Leaf. I'm still thinking it would be better as a second car until the infrastructure is everywhere, but this is a great start.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Awesome, can't wait. Glad I still drive a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo. I have been holding out waiting b/c I know we are about usher in a whole new era in cars in the next few years, and I wanted to wait till then before getting a new car.
Hold onto your Izuzu, but don't hold your breath.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Instead of buying a new car just buy Progress Energy stock. It has a fairly high dividend because the stock prices is deflated due to the economy. I got in around 6.5%, and it pays my electric bill and then some every month. Kinda nice having your electric company pay you to use their product .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary