Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:00 PM

18,060 posts, read 15,653,675 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I mistyped. Yes you're right it is indeed 11.1 for ABC WTVD. Anyway, as I said, bad connectivity with a lower antenna strength than I get on every other channel in my lineup. Once in awhile the signal comes in okay, but there are many times the picture is all broken up. But when I record a show on ABC using my Tivo DVR, the recording comes in fine. Live TV on 11.1 ABC WTVD, not nearly as well.

I can't move my antenna around. It is installed high up on the house on the outside. It was, as I said, professionally installed and checked several years ago. It hasn't moved--that thing is anchored securely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 08:05 PM

307 posts, read 377,673 times
11.1 is a VHF channel, all of the other big networks locally are UHF. I wonder if your Tivo has a better tuner or something. You can put your address in at TV Fool and get a lot of helpful information.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:03 PM

19 posts, read 24,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Probably because less than 20% of people nationally get their tv over the air, and I'd guess the percentage is much lower in the Raleigh area.
Yeah, this is the only logical conclusion I could come to myself: the area being more "economically healthy" compared with alot of other cities, the demand must just not be that great. Although with the growing number of cord-cutters these days, hopefully that will change.

It may just be a matter of perspective, too. In Nashville (TN) I got something like 50 legitimate, watchable channels with a 20$ powered indoor antenna. Granted, alot of it was religious channels and hee-haw reruns, but the point remains. AND I lived on the complete opposite side of the county as most of the transmitters and still got crystal clear signal almost all the time (the occasional storm or whatever being the exception). Certainly alot farther away than I am from wcnc's tower here.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I am genuinely curious if anyone from Durham happens to be reading, can any of you get channel 17 without having to install some ridiculously huge outdoor antenna?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 AM

307 posts, read 377,673 times
I live near Southpoint, get channel 17 perfectly clear. I have the Costco version of the Mohu Leaf powered antenna.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Thanks for the TV Fool info. According to my address and looking at 11.1, the color is yellow & red, which means the signal is quite weak and an attic and rooftop antenna is required to be able to pick it up. I have my antenna at the attic level, but mounted outside. Also have a booster. Yet the signal coming in can be very weak at times.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:13 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiBO View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but I am genuinely curious if anyone from Durham happens to be reading, can any of you get channel 17 without having to install some ridiculously huge outdoor antenna?
I live near downtown (Trinity Park) and get very good coverage of WNCN 17.1 and the subchannels. ABC 11 is the one that gives me fits. I use a Mohu Leaf purchased from Amazon; it sits in a southeast facing window and, despite facing a massive oak tree with about a 20 foot diameter, does fine year round.

In the future I am planning on one of the powered in-attic antennas. Won't work in my main 1920s house due to a slate roof, but am planning instead to install in the attic of my garage-apartment, then will run the coax to the house and then use a powered coax booster to run to all my coax ports. I use a Simple.TV for now via Roku but would prefer to directly access OTA on the TVs when possible. I probably won't do this until fiber from AT&T, Frontier or Google is available at which time, sayonara, TWC Internet over coax.

To the PP in re our area being low on OTA -- I suspect that there are many in our neighborhoods with the earnings to pay for cable and the wisdom to know it's foolish to spend money on the growing cost of TV service. I have had lots of neighborhood interest on cord-cutting and will be doing a seminar soon on the topic.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:59 AM

I cut the cord to cable/satellite about 6 years ago and I've never looked back. The only bill I have is a monthly Tivo subscription, which I just can't give up yet. Just purchased an Amazon FireTV media device. I also download stuff from the Internet all the time and transfer it over to my to my Tivo to watch on my 50" TV.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,284 times
I have the same problem with Abc 11 up in north Raleigh using a basic metal antenna. Now here is what I found, all these people with the mohu saying they get abc 11 perfectly with the mohu, I also get abc 11 perfect with the mohu, although all my other channels are weaker with the mohu. With the basic old school antenna now which it seems like it is better at the uhf and the mohu is better at the vhf.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:35 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemaneric View Post
I have the same problem with Abc 11 up in north Raleigh using a basic metal antenna. Now here is what I found, all these people with the mohu saying they get abc 11 perfectly with the mohu, I also get abc 11 perfect with the mohu, although all my other channels are weaker with the mohu. With the basic old school antenna now which it seems like it is better at the uhf and the mohu is better at the vhf.
Probably a dumb question, but there a way to hook both types up, so you have the best of both, without having to switch back and forth? (I already have a Mohu, but would spend another $20 for an OS Antenna if it helped get me from 98% up to 99.44% uptime.)

Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Probably a dumb question, but there a way to hook both types up, so you have the best of both, without having to switch back and forth?
Not a dumb question, but the answer is no. Easy to use a coax switch though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary