Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:53 PM

51 posts, read 128,466 times

Advertisements

Which areas are known to have the most health-conscience residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I don't think stuff like that is tracked. Never heard of it at least.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:26 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Ding Ding Ding. You win the award for the most original post from someone looking for a neighborhood. Unfortunately, that also means that you'll never get a straight answer.

I can tell you that NC residents ranked extremely poor in relation to their levels of obesity. . . only beat out by Mississippi and a few other states. . . . but after that. . . who knows.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I can tell you that NC residents ranked extremely poor in relation to their levels of obesity. . ..
So says the guy with a kegerator on his deck.

Hey, what's pouring there these days.

BTW- I'm just kidding ... I'm sure you are very fit from chasing your kids around.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Which areas of where? Are you asking about each town, or the county? Are you considering moving here?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:53 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
I live in the Highcroft neighborhood in Cary, NC, and I think the majority of the residences are active runners, bikers, and swimmers. I know several who run marathons, triathlons, and long extreme bike road races. With all the activity I have even trained to run a small triathlon myself. There is an active swim team for the youth, and the plan is to have an adult swim group after the youth team finishes their race cycle. One resident set up a obstacle course which proved to be more than my body could take, and the neighborhood has their own 5K race every year. For my wife and I, who are older than many of the neighbors, we found it has made us become active and feel younger.
There is also a group planning a trip to SC for “The Mud Race”. If you have not heard of “The Mud Race” it is a race designed by Marine, which allows non Marines in to be shamed by their condition. You run in deep mud, climb walls, crawl on your belly in the mud, and I think swim. I have opted not to be shamed by the US Marines, and will help watch out for the neighborhood when they all head south. LOL This is the most health oriented area I have ever lived, and I think Highcroft is ground zero for jocks, and active famlies.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:53 PM

51 posts, read 128,466 times
Smile moving

I have the opportunity to move to the Triangle area. I'm comming from Nashville, TN. I saw online that there are a couple of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Markets along with a few Y's so I know there must be some thought to physical fitness.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyneiman View Post
I saw online that there are a couple of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Markets along with a few Y's so I know there must be some thought to physical fitness.
A thought. . . . . yes.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
SO, what would be a dealbreaker regarding moving here? You know we have gyms, Y's, health food stores, lakes, trails, pools...what's the dealbreaker?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
I know one of the factors we found to be a “deal maker” was the friendliness of the people. We have been in our neighborhood just over a year, and seldom have a day when people don’t come by to visit and talk. The topper was when my wife was in the hospital I would come home late each night to find my dogs walked and feed, and my dinner waiting, it was the same when I was injured in a biking accident.
The population is so diverse, and it seems this diversity has resulted in a tolerance and curiosity of the other cultures. It might also be why this area is so active and not glued to a TV like other areas we have lived. I don’t venture into Raleigh or North Raleigh much, but in Cary I think health and physical fitness is a high priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary