Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 11:02 AM

8 posts, read 33,531 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Raleigh, NC and we're seriously considering it but I'm worried that, because I'm not a religious person that I may not mesh well with the people there. I've been to Raleigh a few times and it looks like a terrific city so I'm curious what others think?
I'm currently living in the Washington, DC suburbs and a few years back lived in Nashville, TN. I loved everything about Nashville EXCEPT for the religious factor. I came across more people that wanted to witness to me or tell me I was going to hell because I didn't attend church. I've never made judgments on anyone over their religious preference so this totally threw me off.
I don't want to be the ugly northerner and I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone, but I really want to find out- is religion a dominating factor in the area?
Again, I'm not out to create a religious debate. I just wanted your thoughts? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 11:10 AM

351 posts, read 1,068,780 times
I've lived in Raleigh for over 40 years and I couldn't see it being a problem. Raleigh is experiencing explosive growth with people moving in from a lot of different regions, countries,...ect. I'm not religious nor are most of my friends
and it's never been a problem, most people in Raleigh are live and let live.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,463 times
You WILL be asked if you've found a church yet.... and many people will suggest theirs to you.
Thank them for the suggestion and move on.
In my experience people will not harrangue or outcast you if you decide their church is not right for you.
I think issues arise if the suggestion or welcome is taken as a "wish to convert".... If it is taken as a friendly neighbor offering to show you where they attend it is a really a rather nice easy sidebar to whatever conversation you are having.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
I'm a native and my family is not religious at all. No one we know or hang out with or associate with goes to church. Only a few guys from DH's office. None of our neighbors go either. But I do think there are pockets of it in certain places around here although I couldn't tell you exactly where to avoid. Our last neighborhood was mostly VERY religious, church going families and we were very happy to move away into less religious neighborhood. I have no idea how you can tell in advance though. Just this weekend, that guy Greg Laurie was here and drew thousands to the RBC center.
I don't think this area is anywhere near what you are describing in Nashville but it does have it's share of religious families/people. Besides Christian though, you will aso find populations of Hindus, Jews, Buddhists and Muslims (as well as others I'm sure). This is an area with lots of growth and with so many major universities and large coorporations nearby, there is a mixture of religions here as well as plenty of people who are not religious at all. In my experience living here for 36 years, most people are not in your face types about it.

Last edited by lamishra; 06-25-2007 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 AM

9 posts, read 23,163 times
I'm not religious either, I just love Jesus.
I'm sure people, religious and non religious will respect your choices.
Keep an open mind because there is truth to be found.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
I haven't really had any problems not being a religious person since I've been here. No one has asked me what church I attend or whether I want to attend theirs - maybe it has to do with them knowing where I am from and that area of the country is not know for being a religious hotbed? I don't know.

The only experience that I have personally had regarding religion in Raleigh was when I went to look at a privately leased apartment and the owner/manager told me he wouldn't rent to my boyfriend and I because we are not yet married. I told him that I respected his business values (not intending to go any further, tried to keep it all business and not personal) and he proceeded to try to witness to me about how it's not a business value and how to live my life. I just kept it very professional and respectfully agreed to disagree, and moved on.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
It is interesting to me because I have lived here the majority of my life (the past 35 years) and I cannot remember people asking me which church I attend. I haven't had it happened since I "moved into my own home", and we have lived in holly springs, then apex then wake forest. So, to me the only time people have discussed their religious preference is when I have brought the subject up.

That is just my take on it, and I am sure that other people have had different experiences, for me though, it hasn't ever been an issue.

Leigh

Old 06-25-2007, 11:45 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I do think people ask "what church do you go to" as part of a conversation, just like "what schools do your kids go to". Its not really seen as being agressive and trying to recruit you. However, there may be one or two types that ARE agressive and to those you can say "I don't discuss MY religion with strangers" or just walk away!

Vicki

Old 06-25-2007, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 13,745 times
Raleigh is such a melting pot that my family has never had any issues. Like Vicki said, mentioning church is more of a conversation starter than a recruitment.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 33,531 times
I really appreciate everyone's output. I guess it's just a mix wherever you go. If I'd had the incident that the person just described when they were trying to lease a place, I wouldn't have handled it so smoothly. That kind of self righteousness just kills me and puts such a bad taste in my mouth. I'm glad to hear that there's plenty of diversity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary