Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 7,861 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are a family of 5 originally from the Chicago area but have lived the last 2 years in Southern CA/Orange County. Now just when I have learned my way around and got the kids in their groove, we are facing another job transfer. We have 1 son entering Freshman year HS , and girls entering 7th and 3rd grade. I have never been to NC before. My husbands office will be in Cary off of Hwy 1. We are considering Apex and Cary. Does anyone have experience with the Catholic schools? St Mary in Apex and St Michael in Cary? Also Apex and Cary HS. I hear a lot about year round schedules and potential reassignments in the public schools. I worry that my kids will be sent in 3 different directions every day. If we went public, is it possible that the kids would be reassigned year after year? How does that all work?

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
We are a family of 5 as well, and moved to the Cary/Apex area 12 months ago. I have a son in 10th grade, a daughter in 3rd, and a daughter in 5th grade.

We have a family of 7 on one side of us in our neighborhood (Glenrothes Cove in the Royal Senter Ridge neighborhood off Blaney Franks in unincorporated Wake County). I believe their 5 children attend a private Catholic school, and if you'd like I can put both of you in contact by email.

My wife is a former private school teacher and - prior to moving here - our kids attended a private school in Virginia. We put no small amount of effort toward touring schools prior to selecting a home. Ultimately, we opted for Wake County public schools and we've been pleased so far. Our elementary school is Yates Mill Pond; our high school is Middle Creek. Yates Mill Pond benefits in an unusual way from being positioned on a watershed; in this way it's growth is quite limited and "temporary" classrooms aren't allowed. Middle Creek H.S. was built on one of Cary's new parks and enjoys a very nice campus including:

- a golf course
- 4 baseball/softball fields (lighted) with restrooms
- 2 multi-purpose fields (lighted) with restrooms
- 8 tennis courts (lighted) with restrooms
- 2 Basketball Courts
- 18 Hole Disc Golf Course
- Community Center

Beyond the facilities, and more importantly, we've been very pleased with the community of teachers, parent involvement and performance of both schools. High school, where I think it's most important to stay in the loop, has been a very positive experience for us. We have a direct line of communication with our son's teachers and that's been very helpful. Also, Middle Creek H.S. teachers all use Blackboard online, and in addition they use the Wake County SPAN (student parent access network) so you can track your child's schoolwork completion and testing performance. The lag time is just 24 hours, so you can really help guide a child if they need some extra motivation (or a "Hey, did someone forget their French I homework?")

Living outside of Cary or Apex town limits may or may not increase your husband's commute, so that's an important issue. Another important issue to consider is property tax. Property taxes anywhere in the Raleigh area will seem cheap by comparison to SoCal, but keep in mind that property in unincorporated Wake County can have a much lower property tax cost.

To a large extent you can control whether or not you'll have all kids in a traditional calendar by the house you select. Some houses have a base elementary school that is Year-round, for example. Others have a base that is Traditional. I'm unaware of any high school with a year round schedule, so that is an issue. To that end, this link will be useful:

Determine School by Student Address

It will allow you to find out your schools by a home's address.

Depending on the house you select, reassignments may or may not be an issue. Within our particular neighborhood, I doubt strongly that we'd be subject to a re-assignment, given that we already pretty much attend our "community school" meaning, the school that is closest to our house. The shift with the new school board is to lean toward the neighborhood school concept, so as long as you select a home where the base schools are clearly the school closest to your home, then you should be fine. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-31-2010 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Links to real estate ads are NOT allowed on this site!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 PM

168 posts, read 350,130 times
I have a 3rd grader at St. Mary Magdalene in Apex. You have a shot at getting in if you are coming from another Catholic school. If you are interested, I would call the principal Bob Cadran or the assistant, Linda Callahan. We have been there since K and really like the school. They use renweb for information, grading, assignments, etc.. Technology is a big thing with most of the parents working at the local tech companies. Test scores are great, small community and they offer a band program starting in 4th grade. We chose the school for the academics and the stability it would provide our child. Since he started K, our neighborhood has already been reassigned. It isn't something that happens every year but I have several friends that live in various parts of Wake that have been reassigned more than once in the past couple of years.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 7,861 times
Thank you both for the input ! It is very helpful We are still months away from moving so its too early to consider specific houses. Right now I am trying to get educated on the schools and communities and then we can zone into specific houses once I've had a chance to make a visit to the area. In regard to the Catholic school, are they on a waiting list to get in?? My kids were in Catholic school in Chicago, but they were far TOO expensive for us to afford when we moved to California 2 years ago. It would be my preference to go that route again. The whole reassignment possibility scares me!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:33 PM

168 posts, read 350,130 times
Certain grades tend to have wait lists. It opens up in 4th grade (3 classes per grade) and middle school tends to open up as well (3 homerooms per grade).

Many of my friends are very happy with Wake county schools so I wouldn't let the reassignment thing scare you too much. It doesn't happen every year in most places.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,190,433 times
Apparently I spoke too soon when I said our school district node (471.1) wouldn't be in danger of reassignment. Looking at the proposed new neighborhood zones, it looks like our middle school will be changed to Middle Creek and our elementary will be changed to West Lake/Middle Creek for the '12'-'13 school year. I'm actually pleased with the new schools but I don't care for the disruption.

Sean

Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM

51 posts, read 143,287 times
I have a son at St. Michaels Catholic school and sons who just started high school at Apex High. I have been very pleased with both schools. St. Michaels is a wonderful school as is St. Mary Magdalene. The private schools offer art, music, and spanish in all grades. Apex High School has a computer technology program that is only offered at a few schools around the country. It is called AOIT.

There are various options for elementary schools and middle schools, such as magnets, year around, and traditional calendar schools. Also the types of clubs that are offered at the public schools vary greatly. Since you have a high school student you would probably want to make sure that the middle and elementary schools are on the traditional calendar. That will make life easier for your family.

As for being reassigned, it is always a possibility. The private schools may have a waiting list, but there is always movement on the list.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-01-2010 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Soliciting is NOT allowed on this site!

Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 35,119 times
We have lived in Cary for 14 yrs. I have a son who's a freshman in Cary HS and a son who is in East Cary Middle School.

Cardinal Gibbons is right on the border or Cary & Raleigh and is the private Catholic high school in the area.
Cardinal Gibbons High School, Raleigh, North Carolina

I have a friend who's daughter attends there so if you would like to speak to her I can hook you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary