Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I think all seminars advertised so broadly are come ons for selling very expensive packages with books, tapes, etc. I went to one years ago with Depak Chopra and of course the price was minimal but nothing was really taught- just references to the course, tapes and books and further seminars on sale in the lobby. What a let down.

Same thing happens for house flipping gurus. Come to the seminar only to be told what you can do if you buy our expensive plan.

The "free 2 nights at our resort" type of package where you are forced to sit thru hours of sales pitches. Everybody is trying to sell something and you certainly do get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
So I made it through the GetMotivated seminar today.

In a nutshell it felt like a cross between a GOP convention and an evangelical tent revival.

I kept a detailed log of each speaker and my thoughts (up until Colin Powell when I had to leave to pick up my daughter from daycare) if you guys would like to read my opinions. I'd be happy to share but I'm not going to post paragraph after paragraph if no one really cares.

guess I didn't get motivated after all

Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Hmm, were they pushing their "product"? And did the speakers refer to it?

Of the speakers you heard, who were you impressed with or not? And who was the biggest let down?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Hmm, were they pushing their "product"? And did the speakers refer to it?

Of the speakers you heard, who were you impressed with or not? And who was the biggest let down?
At about 8:50 they informed the entire RBC center that "several select items will be made available to those in attendance at a discount". I cringed knowing what would eventually come.

At 10:35 we got our first salespitch. It was basically access to a website that tells you when is the right time to buy and sell stock. They offered a 2 day seminar, 3 months worth of access to said website and a homestudy program. All total it was a $3,000 value BUT for today only it was being offered to those in attendance for $99. I am not kidding when I saw easily 5000 people sign up.

The second sales pitch came later in the afternoon around 2:30 from a speaker that I considered the most politically and religously charged presenter of the day. After he was done informing us that God was great. Satan doesn't motivate us. Video games are evil and public school are bad he pitched a 3 day investment seminar which normally sells for $1,995 but for TODAY ONLY it was $49.

Rudy Giuliani was the best in my opinion. He spoke about his time as mayor of NYC and 9/11. The main message I got from him was when he shared a story from his time being a lawyer. He spoke about how one of his mentors that was a judge taught him to prepare for everything inside the courtroom and he would be prepared for the unexpected whiched helped him deal with the events immediately following the 9/11 attacks.

Steve Forbes was pretty dissapointing. He started out ok, but towards the end of his time he continued with his presidental run platform of no federal income tax and proposed his flat tax idea.....AGAIN.

Overall I was fairly dissapointed with the entire day. The whole thing was advertised as a "Get Motivated" seminar yet none of the speakers were motivational in my opinion. There seemed to be an underlying agenda of republican politics and religion.

Thats just my $.02

Oh one other thing that I forgot...for lunch there were several options. Food that is generally offered by the RBC center for any Hurricanes or Wolfpack games but the WORST example of a rip off was the $10 boxed lunches they were offering. A ham sandwich (which resembled any pre-made sandwich for sale at your local gas station), bag of doritos, "grandma's brand" chocolate chip cookies and a bottle of water.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Maybe last year Tamara Lowe -- I think that was her name -- wore big hair because she was speaking in Texas? Her website shows a more reasonable hair style. She looks older on her website, too. Maybe that photo was from her younger days, and she had trouble parting with it. She looks better now.

I heard a very long speech by Colin Powell several years ago at a business conference in Atlanta. I do not share most of his political views, but I enjoyed his speech very much. He's an excellent communicator -- at least he was for our conference, which was not political. All professional speakers should study his style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Here's a similar one by the same group. You'll be surprised (or not) at who spoke at it George W. Bush, Rudy Giuliani and Colin Powell Will Speak to Everyone You've Ever Met For Whatever You've Got in Your Wallet and a Few Sandwiches | Indecision Forever | Political Humor, 2010 Election, and Satire Blog | Comedy Central

This comments is for our female members -girls...what's with this woman's hairdo?? I thought she had a straight short do and was wearing a curly hair hat Sorry, I can't take career advice from someone who can't even find a good hairdresser! If I had been unemployed and on the dole for years and never intended to work again but was forced to go on interviews...this is how I'd fix my hair so I'd NOT get offered the job

Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
At about 8:50 they informed the entire RBC center that "several select items will be made available to those in attendance at a discount". I cringed knowing what would eventually come.

At 10:35 we got our first salespitch. It was basically access to a website that tells you when is the right time to buy and sell stock. They offered a 2 day seminar, 3 months worth of access to said website and a homestudy program. All total it was a $3,000 value BUT for today only it was being offered to those in attendance for $99. I am not kidding when I saw easily 5000 people sign up.

The second sales pitch came later in the afternoon around 2:30 from a speaker that I considered the most politically and religously charged presenter of the day. After he was done informing us that God was great. Satan doesn't motivate us. Video games are evil and public school are bad he pitched a 3 day investment seminar which normally sells for $1,995 but for TODAY ONLY it was $49.

Rudy Giuliani was the best in my opinion. He spoke about his time as mayor of NYC and 9/11. The main message I got from him was when he shared a story from his time being a lawyer. He spoke about how one of his mentors that was a judge taught him to prepare for everything inside the courtroom and he would be prepared for the unexpected whiched helped him deal with the events immediately following the 9/11 attacks.

Steve Forbes was pretty dissapointing. He started out ok, but towards the end of his time he continued with his presidental run platform of no federal income tax and proposed his flat tax idea.....AGAIN.

Overall I was fairly dissapointed with the entire day. The whole thing was advertised as a "Get Motivated" seminar yet none of the speakers were motivational in my opinion. There seemed to be an underlying agenda of republican politics and religion.

Thats just my $.02

Oh one other thing that I forgot...for lunch there were several options. Food that is generally offered by the RBC center for any Hurricanes or Wolfpack games but the WORST example of a rip off was the $10 boxed lunches they were offering. A ham sandwich (which resembled any pre-made sandwich for sale at your local gas station), bag of doritos, "grandma's brand" chocolate chip cookies and a bottle of water.
Thanks for the update, interesting! Well, it was pretty much as you predicted it would be! What a pity that it didn't provide the content you'd expect. I would like to have heard Guliani speak. I didn't realize Forbes was still pushing his (no) tax platform - hmm. Bummer on the lunch!

The big question is...will you have to go next year?! I hope not for sanity's sake!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Maybe last year Tamara Lowe -- I think that was her name -- wore big hair because she was speaking in Texas? Her website shows a more reasonable hair style. She looks older on her website, too. Maybe that photo was from her younger days, and she had trouble parting with it. She looks better now.

I heard a very long speech by Colin Powell several years ago at a business conference in Atlanta. I do not share most of his political views, but I enjoyed his speech very much. He's an excellent communicator -- at least he was for our conference, which was not political. All professional speakers should study his style.
Good to know she saw the light I was a little concerned for her Agree on Colin. Excellent communicator. A gentleman too!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Thanks Big Joe. Sorry you had to miss Powell as he is a good speaker. And your comments reinforce what alot of us said. Just get them in the building so you can sell them more stuff which will sit on the shelf for 10 years. I appreciate your taking the time to post.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Disgusting is all I can say. These people who were once respected are selling a damned scam. Well, no longer highly respected in my book.
Not a single one if them is to be respected, IMO.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:04 AM

99 posts, read 181,808 times
The scary thing about these kind of events is the number of people who think they need "motivation" to carry on with their lives. There are plenty of examples on the evening news, or in the newspaper that should remind folks of how lucky they really are.

If you have your health both of body and mind you have everything, but if your going to events to get motivated something is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary