Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I do think our town has a lot of great programs to help the homeless. More importantly the homeless families and children in the area. This is not the are where you see homeless children/teens on the streets. There are programs to help single mothers to polish up their resume's and get ready for job interviews etc etc. I just don't know if all homeless people can be helped.
You are right in that we have lots of good programs. But sadly, they are not enough for all the folks who need help. What's interesting about this area is that we do have homeless women and children, and teens, but they are not obvious. You could interact with me them or walk by them and not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Durham requires permits & orange vests if they work the intersections. Not sure about parking lots, etc.

I still get suckered sometimes, but I've wised up a lot. Someone needs gas, I honestly tell him I don't have much cash but I have gas cards & I'll be glad to put some fuel in his tank. Some take me up on it, some not. Someone needs $ for food? I don't have much cash but I'll take you to the store where I can write a check. I have asked for ID's from some people and they back off. I can't stand seeing someone suffer, but a lot of bums are out there just to pick us clean with their hard luck stories. They probably have more $ coming in than I do. I'm a struggling small business owner in a very slow market.

Start watching, and you can often spot someone ahead of time. Someone hanging out by a light pole in the parking lot or outside a doorway of a business. Park nearby and he starts heading your way, or waits til you get nearly to the door. Be ready with your answer and don't let him twist your arm. They are masters at it. Sometimes too, someone comes out of nowhere and catches you totally off guard. Ihad 1 guy catch me as I left a supplier's store. Needed a lift to the bus stop. Got him there & he also needed $4 for the bus. He suckered me good.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Ihad 1 guy catch me as I left a supplier's store. Needed a lift to the bus stop. Got him there & he also needed $4 for the bus. He suckered me good.
You're absolutely crazy. Your kindness is going to get you hurt.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 PM

JmellCC - Usually the ones approaching you in an aggressive manner are the ones you need to steer clear of. No way should you give anyone a ride, or money if they approach you in parking lot, a store, anywhere. They are con-men, or looking to rip you off in some way. They can be dangerous, under no circumstances would I interact with them. Tell em, "No" and keep moving.

There is being kind and there is being careless which can lead to danger. Don't let them guilt you into going anywhere with them.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I won't even give the time of day to people who approach me in a parking lot or when I'm getting into my car. I do have some reservation about handing out money to people on the side of the road holding cardboard signs, but I still do on occasion. Several years ago while stopped at a stop sign at Tyron Rd. in Garner this panhandler told me I looked just like Dale Earnhart Jr. I gave him a "ten spot" for the laugh

Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM

Pogg - I'll give ya 10 bucks to pose as him at the next fundraiser I plan

Earnhardt is what I meant

Last edited by RaleighLass; 09-07-2010 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: added ps

Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Homeless is far more than not having a home.

Its tough to fill out a job application with a single word address: Homeless
Its tough to add your experience as: Panhandler.
Its tough to know sincerity when we all can afford a little something.
The offer you give is from your heart not your wallet.
If its from your wallet leave it there you need it more than the homeless.

I have been taken by more than a homeless person on a street corner.
Perspective, charity, and values.
Need to say no more.

Happy Tuesday.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You're absolutely crazy. Your kindness is going to get you hurt.
That's 1 thing I've never had a problem with. I can usually tell if a person is dangerous. The guy I took to the bus stop was somewhat frail. No, I wouldn't have taken him if he hadn't caught me by surprise. But I could tell he wasn't a threat.

My kindness has been much harder on my wallet than my safety. But as I said, I'm not nearly as gullible as I used to be.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 PM

24 posts, read 52,153 times
Anyone know the story on the guys/lady on the corner of New Falls of the Neuse and Capital? I see them there constantly

Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
That's 1 thing I've never had a problem with. I can usually tell if a person is dangerous. The guy I took to the bus stop was somewhat frail. No, I wouldn't have taken him if he hadn't caught me by surprise. But I could tell he wasn't a threat.
There's more proof that you really are crazy! Ummm, Ted Bundy, etc.?? You can never judge somebody by the way they look or because you "have a hunch" that they're safe. Many of family and friends of murderers have stated at the court hearing how the convicted would never hurt anybody and was always such a lovely person. You better leave people alone. Don't get me wrong, I commend you for being so trusting and I wish we lived in a society where people could safely be as trusting as you are but that's not the real world. I just pray that you won't get hurt or robbed or even worse raped one day. Getting murdered wouldn't affect you since you'd be dead. That would only affect your loved ones. But getting raped is something you have to live with forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary