Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

If you're a BBQ traveler, you've probably been to Wilbur's in Goldsboro, Parker's in Wilson & Bill's in Wilson. If not, give them a try. You will love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 AM

250 posts, read 463,772 times
jmelic, speaking of Chicken Hut, I once worked there in 1974. It was very good chicken and I also remember when it was Yogi-Bear's Honey-Fried.

As for the original poster, I like McCall's in Clayton (or Goldsboro) and Wilbur's, as previously mentioned.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM

240 posts, read 627,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
If you're into road-tripping for good food (as any self-respecting human would be), you may also want to try going to Charlotte for some Price's Chicken Coupe. Full disclosure, I've never eaten there. Set out several times, but have always been thwarted for one reason or another (usually closures).

My wife and I used to road trip for good BBQ all the time. Great way to spend some Q-time together, see the state, get a good meal, and REALLY **** off my Cardiologist

I lived in Charlotte for 10 years and I can say hands down The Chicken Coup is the best chicken in the state! Cash only though and don't be afraid to try the chicken livers!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklh View Post
jmelic, speaking of Chicken Hut, I once worked there in 1974. It was very good chicken and I also remember when it was Yogi-Bear's Honey-Fried.

As for the original poster, I like McCall's in Clayton (or Goldsboro) and Wilbur's, as previously mentioned.
So you knew Fred and Norma? We knew them from there and my mom and sister shopped at Norma's a lot.
We ate there at least once a week for a long time. I've had other good chicken, but that was the best of them all. I don't suppose you have the recipe??

Old 09-13-2010, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,153 times
Was at Cooper's BBQ this past week. The fried chicken looked great enough to be a candidate for best fried chicken in the Triangle, but I was there to try the BBQ. Had a BBQ chicken breast (it was tasty, but a little dry).

If I remember correctly (and I may not) Cooper's offers a Chicken Snack which consists of a piece of fried chicken for $3.25. If you specify white meat it's $3.50. Think you get some item with it - maybe hush puppies, which are really good (they are not sweet). For that price I can easily try the fried chicken sometime, especially when I'm downtown and want a quick bite to eat. Don't remember whether the Chicken Snack is for take-out only.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
So you knew Fred and Norma? We knew them from there and my mom and sister shopped at Norma's a lot.
We ate there at least once a week for a long time. I've had other good chicken, but that was the best of them all. I don't suppose you have the recipe??
I think Fred was the guy that hired me but they sold out to someone else not long after I started or right about the same time. I wish I did have the recipe! Remember Golden Skillet?

Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I think Fred was the guy that hired me but they sold out to someone else not long after I started or right about the same time. I wish I did have the recipe! Remember Golden Skillet?
I had thought Fred owned it til it shut down, maybe not. Later on, the building became an Italian place and may have been a Chinese place at some point. I don't recall what's there now; I don't get to Goldsboro much any more. I grew up in Pikeville. Yes, I remember Golden Skillet, corner of Ashe & George St. They had great chicken too. I think they still have a few locations here and there. Do you remember the newest A&P that was at Ashe & Berkeley? Their deli had excellent chicken; I think they fried in a closed container. I got it a number of times. Of course they went away with all other NC A&P's. Are you old enough to remember Griffin's on South George St? They had great chicken and BBQ, etc. Wilbur Shirley use to work for them before he started Wilbur's. Southern Cafeteria downtown was good too. They've been gone a long time.

I found a honey fried chicken recipe on allrecipes.com that I will try soon at home. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Regarding Chicken Hut, that's been so long I'm not sure but I remember some new guy becoming the boss, changing everything and cutting some folks loose. I remember the A & P you mentioned although I don't think I went there. I do remember Griffin's BBQ very well. Did you ever eat at Scott's? That was a good place for bbq, chicken, seafood, and of course, world famous for their hot sauce. I guess they're still there - not sure. Yeah, do let me know about the honey fried recipe.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Regarding Chicken Hut, that's been so long I'm not sure but I remember some new guy becoming the boss, changing everything and cutting some folks loose. I remember the A & P you mentioned although I don't think I went there. I do remember Griffin's BBQ very well. Did you ever eat at Scott's? That was a good place for bbq, chicken, seafood, and of course, world famous for their hot sauce. I guess they're still there - not sure. Yeah, do let me know about the honey fried recipe.
Yes, more than 1 restaurant and other businesses have done well, then failed when someone decided he could streamline everything and squeeze more blood from the turnip, his customer. Then he's the one that bleeds himself dry. Or the kids don't pay attention to the business like Mom and Dad did. That was largely what happened to Weil's Dept. Store. I'm sure you remember them.

I think Scott's is closed for good now. I think you can still get Scott's hot sauce in the stores. I'll have to check next time I go. They shut down several years ago, then reopened limited hours for takeout only. Their food was great. I grew up going there and Griffins. Also went to King's Palace, not far from Griffin's. It was a great place but only open for 3 or 4 years I think.

Goldsboro was never the big exciting city, but sure had a lot of good eating places over the years. Do you remember Happy Jack's, on Stronach Ave? It was just around the corner from Scott's and Mason's Dept. Store. They had the cheapest burgers in town, small ones but good. They may have had chicken, I can't remember.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 PM

I'll have to try Cooper's. I never heard of them before. Have to make a trip for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary