Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times

Advertisements

having been away over the weekend I was taken aback when reading the N&O about the shootings that took place over the weekend in Durham. As many posters have said things have improved a lot in Durham in the past few years but this is as bad as I can remember with 1 dead and 11 wounded in two separate shooting incidents

Weekend shootings leave 1 dead, 11 injured - Durham County - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 PM

202 posts, read 229,636 times
From my experience it seems these things come in waves. We go months with almost no issues and then madness seems to break loose. The average comes out about the same at years end.

The economic situation can't be helping things.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
I don't know about the area around that first shooting but I know the area around the second shooting really well, and it's one of those weird little pockets that is very creepy yet surrounded by areas that are great and have high property values. It's the weirdest thing. It's like you cross into some vortex and then right away you're out of it. I don't go to East Durham really ever (scene of first shooting) but am always around the second area. There's one convenience store there that I will never, ever go to at night ever again.

It's too bad there is a gorgeous house for sale right around there that would otherwise be perfect for me ... but, NO, NO WAY.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I don't know about the area around that first shooting but I know the area around the second shooting really well, and it's one of those weird little pockets that is very creepy yet surrounded by areas that are great and have high property values. It's the weirdest thing. It's like you cross into some vortex and then right away you're out of it. I don't go to East Durham really ever (scene of first shooting) but am always around the second area. There's one convenience store there that I will never, ever go to at night ever again.

It's too bad there is a gorgeous house for sale right around there that would otherwise be perfect for me ... but, NO, NO WAY.
No it's not weird at all. That's one of Durham's signature traits. There are countless examples all over the city of this situation that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
No it's not weird at all. That's one of Durham's signature traits. There are countless examples all over the city of this situation that I'm aware of. I'm sure there are plenty more.
I don't mean weird as in "unusual" for the city of Durham, but it IS unusual as compared to other cities.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I don't mean weird as in "unusual" for the city of Durham, but it IS unusual as compared to other cities.
Oh, gotcha! That's definitely true.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:44 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times
I've lived in Durham 29 years. We have our share of violent crime and then some. The sad thing is that most people here work hard, take their kids to ball games, go to church, all the normal & good things people do. But we also have more than our share of thugs. On top of that, our city officials generally devote more attention to restricting billboards, regulating sign heights & regulating business owners than they devote to fighting crime.

A perfect example is the recent news of our unserved arrest warrants that have been sitting around the courthouse. We did have over 60,000. We found some federal $ and got them worked down to about 43,000. City manager said he couldn't fund any more work without raising taxes or "cutting core services". Well, the city budget includes money for the Scrap Exchange, the American Dance Festival and the Human Relations Commission, sort of a "feel good" agency of the city. A few years ago, the city handed out millions of dollars to small "startup" businesses. Turned out most of them were phony, some owned by relatives of the people in charge. I think only 1 owner ever repaid any $. The city finds money for many frivolous uses and pleases whoever benefits from it.

I wrote a letter to the editor about the warrants situation and no one ever responded, positive or negative. I thing the fact is that our politicians have badly mixed up priorities. Half the people don't care & the other half have given up arguing about it. Of course, the scalawags love it.

Durham is also a "sanctuary city" for illegal aliens, which doesn't help.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I've lived in Durham 29 years. We have our share of violent crime and then some. The sad thing is that most people here work hard, take their kids to ball games, go to church, all the normal & good things people do. But we also have more than our share of thugs. On top of that, our city officials generally devote more attention to restricting billboards, regulating sign heights & regulating business owners than they devote to fighting crime.

A perfect example is the recent news of our unserved arrest warrants that have been sitting around the courthouse. We did have over 60,000. We found some federal $ and got them worked down to about 43,000. City manager said he couldn't fund any more work without raising taxes or "cutting core services". Well, the city budget includes money for the Scrap Exchange, the American Dance Festival and the Human Relations Commission, sort of a "feel good" agency of the city. A few years ago, the city handed out millions of dollars to small "startup" businesses. Turned out most of them were phony, some owned by relatives of the people in charge. I think only 1 owner ever repaid any $. The city finds money for many frivolous uses and pleases whoever benefits from it.

I wrote a letter to the editor about the warrants situation and no one ever responded, positive or negative. I thing the fact is that our politicians have badly mixed up priorities. Half the people don't care & the other half have given up arguing about it. Of course, the scalawags love it.

Durham is also a "sanctuary city" for illegal aliens, which doesn't help.
I think you've summed up the exact problem in Durham. It has some really great stuff and some really bad stuff. If the local government could get their priorities straight it would be an awesome city.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Ohhhhh, so are we starting to admit that I was right about Durham being a dangerous place and should be avoided? Sounds like it with all the shootings that are constantly on the news.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-08-2010 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Ohhhhh, so are we starting to admit that I was right about Durham being a dangerous place and should be avoided? Sounds like it with all the shootings that are constantly on the news.
Nope, just parts as always. Most of Durham is still safe as always

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-08-2010 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary