Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:50 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
It always seems like the vinegar people always fight to the death for their beloved sauce. Bet this would be interesting debate in Memphis, Texas or Oklahoma.
Oklahoma has BBQ?

YouTube - The BBQ Song
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
There is just something inherently wrong with a food that requires bowls of hot wash water, fresh finger towels, and/or a bundle of sanitary wipettes to be served with the meal.
C'mon now Roger - how 'bout chicken wings? and lobstah?
Finger lickin' good!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
yeah Oklahoma has BBQ but of course it's beef. They look at you weird if you ask if they have pork BBQ.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 AM

202 posts, read 229,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yeah Oklahoma has BBQ but of course it's beef. They look at you weird if you ask if they have pork BBQ.
To me barbecue is chicken, pork or beef cooked slowly over wood/coal fire with red/brown sauce. I don't care what meat it is, as long as it is not solely vinegar (boring) based.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 AM

540 posts, read 1,106,137 times
I'm just sitting back and enjoying this thread since I just returned from TEXAS where I had my beloved beef brisket BBQ. You will never get me to accept the vinegar based stuff as the real thing.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:22 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
It's all real - just different styles.

I like 'em all. Coming from Texas, the NC style took a bit of getting used to, but I like it. I typically eat the meat as served, rather than adding extra sauce.

Q Shack has all styles of barbecue, including brisket and pork. They also have good fried okra and mac & cheese.

Of course, my favorite is Goode Company in Houston. Since I can't go there, I make my own - right down to the jalapeno cheese bread. The Meat House in Cary sells brisket, and I order the sauce and rub online from Goode Company.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
How funny in the video they mention folks up North treat BBQ as a verb; that was so true several years ago when I lived in the DC area, I was invited to a BBQ. Growing up with Southern parents, I expected ribs and chicken. Instead it was burgers and hot dogs; I was pretty upset since I was a newly commissioned officer and I was missing home. That was the first time I realized BBQ had a different meaning for other people. My parents were from Louisiana, so I grew up with both vinegar and tomato based sauces.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
You will never get me to accept the vinegar based stuff as the real thing.
The way I see it is that you MUST use higher quality meat to pull off the simplicity of East Carolina BBQ.

You can hide all sorts of nastiness with the thick tomato-based sauces.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:36 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to Austin View Post
To me barbecue is chicken, pork or beef cooked slowly over wood/coal fire with red/brown sauce. I don't care what meat it is, as long as it is not solely vinegar (boring) based.
Couldn't agree more!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:37 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
I'm just sitting back and enjoying this thread since I just returned from TEXAS where I had my beloved beef brisket BBQ. You will never get me to accept the vinegar based stuff as the real thing.
Ok, Ok - I can't take it anymore. Bring on the TEXAS BBQ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary