Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
Are you using wireless or wired?
Wired. Wireless is poor for testing these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Wired. Wireless is poor for testing these things.
Yea that is what I was going to say. I get close to an extra 5-8ms delay when going wireless vs wired.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,656 times
Default Twc

Hi All,

I decided to go for it and upgrade to the Extreme 30 down and 5 up. They will install it in Wednesday. I hope all goes as it should.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:23 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
I found that if I run any type of speed test while in VPN mode to work, my ping time is 2x and my down/up speeds are substantially less. I don't know if you guys are running similar setups but you may want to try testing without going through company networks.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:40 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,656 times
Default extreme

Okay. I'm upgraded now to the Extreme.
I had really high packet loss between 78 and 85 % after testing several times after the tech had left, but good speeds, so I called and was told to delete cookies.. All the stuff from the handy dandy script. :/ Than I hung up with them and read this thread over-

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ve-3-16-a.html

Than I called to ask to speak to a Tier 3 Tech three times while the lovely customer service (Tier 1 tech?) person tried the script technique on me again.. Finally after 20 minutes on hold, the tech did some tests or whatever to my modem, and explained that the packet loss checking website is not always accurate, had me run a packet loss tech from Run start.. on my pc that looked fine. Than I retested the packets on the pingtest.com and I had zero loss.
So hopefully all is now. My download and upload always fluctuates especially between 4 and 7 pm it seems.

and

Old 07-24-2011, 01:19 PM

115 posts, read 277,116 times
I may order Extreme. I already have my own router. Can I decline TWC's? I noticed there's a $39.95 "installation fee" with that. If I decline, is there anything they need to do in my home, or can they just flip a switch and I get 30mb?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js33 View Post
I may order Extreme. I already have my own router. Can I decline TWC's? I noticed there's a $39.95 "installation fee" with that. If I decline, is there anything they need to do in my home, or can they just flip a switch and I get 30mb?
Their router is part of the modem/router combo. You can use your own router, but you have to have the modem.

More on that here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-3-16-a-3.html

Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 PM

229 posts, read 704,038 times
I just had my upgrade done today to 30Mbps/5Mbps and wanted to share what I've learned.

• Even though existing DOCSIS 2.0 modems like the Surfboard 5120 from TWC can handle up to 38Mbps, TWC runs the 30Mbps plan on DOCSIS 3.0 so you DO need a new modem.
  • When ordering the upgrade, their site will require a $39 installation charge. They claim this is because the new modem has WiFi built in, and is a router, etc. I told them I already have all that stuff separately, and don't want to pay for it again, so they waived the $39 fee.
  • New modem is a Surfboard 6580, which for most home users is a great modem since it's an all-in-one device. Cable modem, router, and WiFi access point all in one box.
  • Make sure to ask about promo pricing. I did, and they bumped me back onto promo pricing for another 12 months. So I went from 15Mbps @ $75ish/mo to 30Mbps @ $49.99/mo. I'm happy.

Performance is as advertised so far... I can't complain at all.

One other thing to note when you're trying to performance test your line if you're using a wireless connection... Check the power saving settings in windows for your wireless card, since that setting can have a MASSIVE impact on performance. Mine was set to "Maximum Power Saving", and my speed test results were all over the map. Once changing it to "Maximum Performance", I always get consistently good results.

If you want to see the difference, pull up a command prompt and run "ping yahoo.com", then toggle the setting. On "Maximum Power Saving" mode, my ping times were 100-300ms, which is terrible. On "Max Performance" my ping times were always below 75ms, which is acceptable. You could of course just plug directly into the modem with a cable to do your performance tests too.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM

115 posts, read 277,116 times
I usually get 15mb downloading on the regular Road Runner plan. Is it worth the extra $5 for the "power boost" option?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js33 View Post
I usually get 15mb downloading on the regular Road Runner plan. Is it worth the extra $5 for the "power boost" option?
Probably not unless you can get them to give you promo pricing and probably not unless you need the faster upload speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary