Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:26 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapelHillMom View Post

My kids aren't in high school yet (and I'm sure the one of Jack Bennett will be built before they are)
Keep telling yourself that.....

Briar Chapel was an extremely poorly designed and developed complex and Chatham county is so backwoods they allowed it, even after years of fights. In fact, Briar chapel refused to put in a high school because of how it would affect the community. They didn't want those hooligan teens driving through to get to school, and for whatever reason, this was ok by chatham county. So now you will have the extra several thousand students that get a middle school, but where do they go after that? The already overcrowded Northwood.

IMO you'd be better off looking in Orange county. At least they have building laws and don't allow developers to do what they please like Chatham.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 11-04-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
I've looked in Briar Chapel, and it is a very beautiful community, but seems like it takes FOREVER to get back into it. I've also been looking at Legend Oaks, which is a little closer to CH, and has much bigger homesites.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,851 times
I drove through that neighborhood the other day. Probably the coolest neighborhood I have ever seen. The trails alone blow anything else away. We live in Southern Village up the road and are considering moving to Briar Chapel.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
again a first time poster trying to convince us of something we know isn't so

Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
again a first time poster trying to convince us of something we know isn't so
I have to agree - everything about that smacks of spamming a subpar development.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I have to agree - everything about that smacks of spamming a subpar development.
I'm not a new poster, but I agree with the "offender". While I also agree with you that it smacks of 1-post spam, I do think it's a cool community. The trails are great, and the open green area is cool (if not for everyone).

I've spent some time there riding bikes, volunteering on the trail building, and participating in bike races and community events, and I think the entire place and concept are pretty cool.

(full disclosure: I live in the middle of nowhere, with no neighbors, no pools and no loud music unless it is my own, so I certainly have not walked in anyone's shoes. But I have the guts to go against the grain here and say that I thought the place was pretty cool. It just never dawned on me that this might be a "bad" place, or "ill-conceieved"...)

Old 02-13-2011, 07:27 PM

54 posts, read 152,842 times
seriously.....what is with all the complaining about this neighborhood?

aren't the pros and cons of a neighborhood really somewhat subjective? what's right for 1 family might not work for another. doesn't mean the place is good or bad.

while i agree that comment seemed "planted" i am really surprised and actually a little suspicious of all the negative, negative banter about this neighborhood from others. i've visited bc a few times, and sometimes all this negative talk just sounds like a bunch of people who want to pick on something that's "different."

i know i might get bashed for this since so many are so vociferously against this neighborhood and the concept, but after a while reading these boards it's just hard to believe all the negative chatter...just like it's hard to trust a 1-comment potential spammer.

it just sounds like everyone has picked a scapegoat and jumped on the bandwagon. and the fact that I am steeling myself for some backlash kind of indicates the impression that's building here re: briar chapel. i don't feel i can trust the naysayers any more than the spammers.

and the "subpar development" comment....good heavens. really? i think long term residents might be surprised about what is actually appealing to someone new to this area. i've been househunting for months here and i can tell you, a lot of the older (10-15+ years) developments here leave a lot to be desired compared to other areas of the country. briar chapel in no way appears subpar, but...i've seen plenty of other developments here (which shall remain nameless) that left me scatching my out-of-town head wondering what all the fuss was about.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
If you want to know what the problem is and why people hate it do some research on the history of how the developer managed to finally get it passed and the rules and hoops they went through to make it happen. Maybe then you'll know why many resent it, especially those that lived in chatham country LONG before it was built.

I know several Chatham county residents who MOVED to a different county in 2004 after this development was approved, relatives included. No one is sitting here and making it a "scapegoat or jumping on the bandwagon". Everyone's entitled to their own opinion and just because it doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean it warrants rude comments about how people are "naysayers".

Oh and FYI, it didn't start out as the "green eco friendly" small thing its trying to pass itself off as. The developer's original plan was to put as many houses as possible, at one time they were trying to get 10000 homes in it.

This article emulates the exact reason why all the hate: http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/spr...nt?oid=1194246

Last edited by saucystargazer; 02-13-2011 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
I don't get it. The article says that the people you elected voted on it, and it won. Perhaps one person switched camps, but that would not effect the outcome, other than symbolic opposition.

Seems like very much of NIMBY mentality. And I'm not trying to be insulting, I just don't get how this article does anything other than support that some people lost their wish, because the will of the people went another way.

Like I said, I'm not really for or against it, but my impression is different from the majority posting in this discussion, and I felt it fair to represent all sides.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:10 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I don't get it. The article says that the people you elected voted on it, and it won. Perhaps one person switched camps, but that would not effect the outcome, other than symbolic opposition.

Seems like very much of NIMBY mentality. And I'm not trying to be insulting, I just don't get how this article does anything other than support that some people lost their wish, because the will of the people went another way.

Like I said, I'm not really for or against it, but my impression is different from the majority posting in this discussion, and I felt it fair to represent all sides.
You hit the nail on the head. It is a fact that Chatham County will become just another suburb of Raleigh and if they are going to be building mega-developments, at the very least they should all be as "green" as Briar Chapel. It is so funny to me how people move to the country to get away from sprawl thinking that they can somehow close the door behind them. The people that do this are the reason why sprawl exists!

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary