Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM

306 posts, read 883,366 times

Advertisements

Honestly, my advice would be to keep it. Don't sell your gold. There's a reason it's "going up" in value and you may find you regret it in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 07:35 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal (aka Oregon gal) View Post
I've never sold any jewelry before and I'm nervous about it.
I have some jewelry that is worth a fair amount, not scrap gold.
Well there's your problem. Nobody thinks their "valuables" are scrap. You're trying to take the easy way out, hence they are scrap. If they were actually worth any value, you'd get them appraised and sell them on ebay, right? Not trying to sound harsh, you just need to put things in perspective. Do you need money now, or are you willing to do your homework and sell it at a fair price?

Having said that, I got rid of my old class ring from High School (it had been sitting in my drawer for 15 years) and walked away with $200. I went to a little new gold shop in Holly Springs.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
I'm not a big jewelery person, being a man, but I had a gold ring with black onyx/diamond, really out of style, most likely 20 years old and it was sitting in my valet, so I decided to attempt selling on Ebay, no luck. I googled and found a reputable place in Brier Creek. They purchased the ring from me and I was happy with the price. They had excellent write ups from the BBB and even local news station NBC & ABC. It may be worth a trip to see how much they will give you. Good Luck.

Raleigh Fine Jewelry & Coin
10251 Little Brier Creek, Raleigh NC 27617 (Near Pei Wei and Lowes Foods)
(919) 544-5445

Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Well there's your problem. Nobody thinks their "valuables" are scrap. You're trying to take the easy way out, hence they are scrap. If they were actually worth any value, you'd get them appraised and sell them on ebay, right? Not trying to sound harsh, you just need to put things in perspective. Do you need money now, or are you willing to do your homework and sell it at a fair price?

Having said that, I got rid of my old class ring from High School (it had been sitting in my drawer for 15 years) and walked away with $200. I went to a little new gold shop in Holly Springs.
I went to the same place in HS & thought they were fair and pleasant to deal with. I disagree that you get nothing...if you have jewelery sitting a drawer for years and don't have the time to do a bunch of work to sell it, you will probably make more than you think selling the gold. You can always say no. I made $300 for a bunch of broken chains I would never wear anyway and single earrings... I walked out a happy camper : )

Old 11-13-2010, 05:43 AM

277 posts, read 797,796 times
HS DUDE - just to be clear, I was referring to "scrap" as broken chains and the misc. odds & ends that end up in a jewelry box.
I don't think I'm trying "to take the easy way out" by exploring all possibilities (and yes, I have had my jewelry appraised). Ebay & CL are always my first choices for selling things but I wanted to see what others had to say about local places before going "the online route" since I haven't ever sold jewelry before.
I will check out the shop in HS and the place on Little Brier Creek, as well as Bailey's and see what they say.
Thanks for everyone's input - I'll let you know what happens.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
Honestly, my advice would be to keep it. Don't sell your gold. There's a reason it's "going up" in value and you may find you regret it in the future.

I agree with Lunadesign. You'd hate to have sold your gold if next year or the year after it is worth $5000 an ounce. What you might want to do instead is buy silver coins from a reputable dealer. Those are appreciating even faster than gold.

Also if you go to YouTube and look at the "honest gold guy" videos, he talks about what it is like to be a local dealer and one thing he says is that the "costs" to someone like him from smelters are so high that he might have to charge you (or not give you as much as) 30% of the value of the gold jewlery.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:33 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
I like Gold Mine on the corner of STrickland and Falls of Neuse. They are very honest and forthright.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
I just wrapped up a weekend blitz of 8 of the local gold buyers. So I don't run afoul of the moderators, I won't post my results here, but if you are interested in what I did, feel free to PM me and I will tell you how I was able to boost the value of my sale over 100% from my first estimate to my final sale.

What I was selling was old, broken pieces of jewelry (mostly 14k, but one piece was 18k) that my wife no longer wanted -- truly "scrap". If you approach it methodically, you will be happy with the results, trust me!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
If you are wanting to sell gold purely for the price of gold (with no respect to the setting, etc.) I think Goldworks over in Chapel Hill gave me the best deal.

You could probably sell the Tiffany piece easier on eBay.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 PM

90 posts, read 219,789 times
Joint Venture in Cary (Weston shopping Center) consigns jewelry. They are privately owned local company.

http://www.jointventurejewelry.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary